1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nokia 6030 unlocking disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Nokia - Unlocking' started by meap, Apr 1, 2007.

1. meap

meap Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a t-mobile branded nokia 6030 for my Cingular service. I've heard some people talk about "not having access to all functions" when they do this. I understand you can unlock the phone but does this give you access to use everything on the phone?

Is there any disadvantages in having a t-mobile phine with cingular service?

Thank you for helping. I did a search on this forum and I couldn't find anything related to this specificly.

Thanks,
    meap

2. meap

meap Member

ttt

3. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

If you want it unlocked, make sure you don't buy a FAV 5 phone RM-225 or it can't be unlocked. If you want all functions to work, you would need to have the phone flashed. Why don't you just buy a 6030 online from Cingular. Buy one of the refurbished 6030's. It comes to you within 2 days and is just like a new one with plastics on the screen and all. I have bought many from there and never went wrong once.
    http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/prepaid-phones.jsp?zipPass=true

4. meap

meap Member

thanks.

do you know what features on the t-mobile phone won't work on the cingular network?

I really only care about making calls and using t-messaging.

5. meap

meap Member

i checked out that site. . . it doesn't say if a battery comes with the phone or not. . .did your come with a battery?

6. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

Those should work fine but T-Zones will be locked into the phone and unlocking does not remove that. If you haven't bought yet, I strongly suggest getting the $29.99 refurbished Go Phone from Cingular online. You'll be happy with it. Comes with a sim card, 10 cents per minute, free mobile to mobile and $10.00 worth of minutes to start with. The phone will be scratchless and will show no signs of use at all.

7. meap

meap Member

I already have a cingular plan and appartently I can't buy a refurb'ed phone unless I also get a plan. . . that sucks, because I don;t want to change my existing plan.

8. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

I also have a Cingular plan but I can still buy a Go Phone online. Make sure you choose Go Phone and not the one that says (Pick Your Plan)

When the phone comes in, place your sim card in and it's ready to go.

9. meap

meap Member

it still forces me to choose a plan. . .either "Pay As You Go Unlimited Mobile to Mobile" or "Pay As You Go $.25 per minute ".

10. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

It will do that but don't worry with it, the sim that comes with it is just a prepaid sim that you can throw away. It's not a plan, it's simply a prepaid Go Phone but you can put your sim in from the account you have and that's all you have to do. You won't be entering into any plan by buying the Go Phone. Enter your zip code, choose the refurb for $29.99 and get it sent to you. There will be no contract involved. I buy from them off and on for resale.

11. meap

meap Member

thanks allot for you help! Sorry for all the questions.

12. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

It's no problem, I wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction if it wouldn't work. If you get it, just do away with the sim they send you and they will already have it installed in the phone for you. Just remove it and insert yours and that's it. You will have a new 6030 branded to Cingular and I know these can be unlocked also if needed. I would not buy a 6030 from T-Mobile for use with Cingular. Big chance the phone can't be unlocked and it would be branded to T-Mobile.

Make sure to copy all contacts from your current phone to your sim so that when you insert it into the new phone, you will have everyone there.

13. meap

meap Member

i purchased it. Thanks again.

14. NoLimit04

NoLimit04 Active member

Shipping will be by Fed-X and tracking will be provided for you with links to click on and it will show you exactly where your phone is. 2 days and it will be there. You should have it Tuesday. Send me a PM when you get it and let me know how it works out. You'll be happy with it.

15. meap

meap Member

No limit,
    phone arrived . . .great shipping and price, but one small problem that I overlooked. . . .

The phone is cingular and I have a old At&T Sim Card so the phone says "restricted" when I turn it on with my sim card. So I guess this means I need to get it unlocked. I started another thread asking for an unlocking code so I'm hoping you can help me out again.

Thanks,
    Meap