1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia Dbox 2

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by VINCE123, Sep 26, 2006.

1. VINCE123

VINCE123 Member

Hey guys.. bought a new Nokia dbox2.. only problem is its set up ingerman for germnany..i avnt got a clue how to change the image. av had it abt 2 weeks now & i avnt & its just frustrating.. av tried everything, service scans & each time i scan it finds german cable providers & no channels.. & thats as far as i can go..so as u can tell i need sum assistance.. cheers guys

2. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

For starters and formost youl need eith 2 ethernet cables and a router or.. a crossover cable, you could also get a null modem cable. Each of these would work. Get one of these methods then gimme a shout il help you through it mate.

3. VINCE123

VINCE123 Member

hey mate.. av got a crossover cable & even got an ethernet cable.. were do i go 4rm here?

cheers

4. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Right first of all wel use the crossover cable se if we can get her running using that.

First things first, Setting up the PC so that its ready to communicate with the Dbox
    1. Open the Control Panel then go into Network Connections
    2. You may have a few different connections so disable all of them with the exception of the
    connection that you are going to use to communicate with the dbox.
    3. Right click on the connection to be used and select "Properties"
    4. If using Windows XP turn off the firewall by clicking on the "Advanced" tab, click "Settings"
    under "windows firewall" then select "Off" then click "Ok" then click on the "general" tab
    4b. If you are using another firewall then be sure to disable it or you won't be able to connect to
    the Dbox. If you don't know how then stop here.
    5. Double click on "internet protocol" to take you into the IP settings
    6. Click "Use the following IP addess"
    7. Type in 192.168.0.101 into the "IP address box
    8. Type in 255.255.255.0 into the "Subnet mask" box if it is not automatically put in
    9. Type in 192.168.0.1 into the "Default gateway" box
    10. Click "OK" then "OK" again to save the settings

Thats the computer ready now its time to setup the DBox
    1. If not already turned on, turn on the Dbox. If there is no image on the box or if "Kein System" is
    showing on the display then move onto the IFA tutorial.
    2. Once booted up press the "Dbox" button on the remote which on mine is 2 below the power
    button
    3. Select "Settings" from the menu that pops up on the screen (should be 4 from the bottom)
    4. Select "Network" from the new menu (should be 6 from the top)
    5. Select "IP Address" (should be 7 from top) and change it to 192.168.0.100 then press "OK" on
    the remote
    6. Select "Default Gateway" (3 below IP Address) and change it to 192.168.0.1 then press "OK
    on the remote
    7. The "Subnet Mask" (Below "IP Address") should be 255.255.255.0, if it is not change it
    accordingly
    8. Select "Start/Restart Network Now" (5th from top)
    9. Select "Show Active Network Settings" (4th from top)
    10. Go "Back" then click "Save Settings" to save everything.
    Now that everything is set up its time to communicate with your dbox
    1. Connect your Dbox to your PC via the crossover cable.
    2. Open your "Network Connections" from the "Control Panel" of your PC
    3. Right click on the connection you are using to communicate with your DBox and select Repair(this simply refreshes the connection)
    4. Open up Internet Explorer or Flash FXP or whatever program you are using to connect to the
    DBox
    5a. If using Internet explorer simply type FTP://192.168.0.100 into it. If asked, the username is
    "root" and the password is meant to be "Dbox2" but it could be absolutely anything.
    5b. If using Flash FXP click on the lightning flash then quick connect then type 192.168.0.100 into
    the "Server or URL" box type in "root" as the username and "dbox2" as the password then click
    "Connect"

Now to upload a nice new Image
    1. Get your new image from the usual places if struggling email me, but make sure its the appropriate one. If it is a
    single processor box then the 1x image is needed if it has 2 processors then the 2x image is
    needed.
    2. In internet explorer address bar type ftp://192.168.0.100/tmp again typing in the username and
    password if necessary
    3. Drag the image from where you have saved it into the window.

Now that the new Image is uploaded its time to flash the box
    1. Press "Dbox" on the remote
    2. Select "Service Menu" (3rd from bottom) and hit "OK"
    3. Select "Image Update" (very last option)
    4. Select "Flash Read/Write" (2nd Option)
    5. Select "Write One Partition" (2nd From Bottom)
    6. Select "Flash without bootloader"
    7. Select the Image to flash. If you can't see the image make sure its the correct image and that it
    has been extracted ie make sure its a .img file and not .rar
    8. Select yes if prompted to continue and your finished. The box will reboot and your nearly there

Thats the box flashed with your latest image, now goto dbox-service-makesure cable provider is brute force uk and fast scan is off, then click start scan. That will give you all your channels under one category post bk whn youve done that mate

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  5. abid96

abid96 Member

Hi
    Where can i get hold of the latest image?
    e-mail me on abz_b45h1r@hotmail.com
    Thanks

6. looby4561

looby4561 Member

Could someone please tell me where to get the latest image I think I need 2 x 1 (new to this so any help would be great) according to the people that supplied me the box it has sportster pro uk installed but when I run a scan it only picks up a about 100 channels and most of these have no picture when I try to view. Has anyone any ideas what I should do any help would be great.

7. harry7603

harry7603 Member

8. looby4561

looby4561 Member

Thanks very much I have downloaded the image and will try to do it tomorrow night do I have to convert the zip file into another image or something - like I said a bit of a novice have read something about rar but not sure what to do. I have downloaded the rar software is it easy to follow?

9. mezmill

mezmill Member

hi can anyone help me ? sometimes on my dbox the picture is flickery does any body know of any fixes ?

10. jondav199

jondav199 Member

Can anyone tell me why my Dbox 2 does not work. Arrived yesterday plugged it it did the scan & it says cannot find any channels. It is in debug mode already. Bought it from Germany

11. jondav199

jondav199 Member

Can anyone tell me how to get the cable provider back to the UK cable. My son was messing around with it & its gone back to Kabel Deutchland

12. jondav199

jondav199 Member

13. mozaman

mozaman Member

I have just uploaded the following image to my Dbox - nokia - Sportster-Pro_1.02_17122005_1406_S_2xI.img and the language is all in english how do I get it in english?? thanks in advance!!

14. tragickr

tragickr Member

is their any difference between a crossover cable and a ethernet cable, i am struggling impatiently of trying to reflash my dbox2 and cant get any connection using the settings above, so just wondering about the cable??

cheers

15. hollame

hollame Member

hi can some 1 please help me.. Where can i get hold of the latest image
    for a nokia dbox2 my email hollame2@hotmail.com

thank you

16. shawn736

shawn736 Member

hi folks ive just flashed my dbox with a commando 5 image its wrkin but im not gettin any on demand or movie channels. how do i fix this?

17. kos666

kos666 Member

HI Guys, just bought a Nokia Dbox2 from ebay, but how do i know its actually dbox 2? and one more thing i cant connect ntl cable to the box cz the box has a diffrent socket is this normal?

18. zucci007

zucci007 Member

I need help me my nokia dbox2. I flashed wrong image as I got a null cable but I need an image with bootloader. I need any software to flash the bootloader. I got flash assistant

Any help I will be grateful

19. zappp64

zappp64 Regular member

on the front at the left hand side does it have a dbox logo and the words multimedia terminal dvb by nokie and on the right hand size is the LCD display.

you need a F to coax convertor in order to plug the cable into the dbox - i got 5 for 3 quid off ebay

20. kos666

kos666 Member

Thank you for the reply Zappp64, i got it sorted. Using Commando 6 image and working fine but having some probz with the network.