1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia Dbox2

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by waitsey, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eadie

eadie Guest

looking for any help on setting up a dbox im new to this and dont know where to start i think the box is an old one as mate only gave me it because he bought a new one it says made in sweden on back and has a sticker saying kt2 any help wouldnt go wrong im Telewest in Scotland I have pm to no avail any help please

2. looby4561

looby4561 Member

Bought a dBox2 from Germany Im on NTL cannot get it to work only a novice at all this might be a silly question but do you have to link it to a computer to get it working? I went into service to scan and it found some channels but half of them do not have a picture so I must not have done it right can anyone help a poor frustrated Dbox2 owner, Im getting close to putting it in the bin.

3. PAUL7331

PAUL7331 Member

U need to link it up to your modem mate! Use a splitter to do this. If not link it up directly from your NTL tv connection!

4. mezmill

mezmill Member

hey guys can anyone send me the guide for setting up and using the nokia dbox2 for tv viewing ?

5. loumac123

loumac123 Member

Hi,
    I have managed to find the standard login and password for the DBOX 2.

It is Login : root Password : dbox2

6. harry7603

harry7603 Member

hi if anybody is willing to sell his dbox faulty or not drop me an message!preferably a satelite one !

7. slewis19

slewis19 Member

Hi All

Any chance somoene can point me in the direction of a sat dbox2 tutorial aswell as links to update services.xml files for Sky.

Many Thanks

Scott

8. Timoweb

Timoweb Member

Hi Bluemoon(anyone), could you send me the Dummies guide to the D-Box 2 please? or direct me where I can get it, looked on google and stuff no luck.

Got a Nokia Dbox2 from Germany and can not get it to work on NTL. Any help from any of you guys would be most appreciated!

9. 4561looby

4561looby Member

I have the same problem cannot get it to work on NTL. I have got a guide which I have tried to follow but being new to all this does not help. I connected a crossover ethernet cable and found the sportster image but could not get the dbox to respond IE no connection between the two. What do I do next. At out of my depth here I think. My friend has a dbox2 that is fully working so does anybody know if we can back up his system or files and transfer them onto mine and if so how would be go about it. Any help would be great.

10. NICO8175

NICO8175 Guest

hi guy's i'm new to these d box's also. i have two boxes'on the fist one i do channel scan ,find all the channels but the screen goes dark blue and you cant get a picture, try'd new image ,but still the same,
    on second one the pictures are there but the sound sqelches,(perfect for someone deaf)
    can anyone please help me to bring these back to life,many thanks nico8175

11. gooner123

gooner123 Member

Hi - could someone please send me the Nokia dbox2 newbie guide cos its totally confused me - ta

12. smoggy

smoggy Guest

Hi all, I asked bluemoon for newbies guide to dbox, but she may be very busy. If anybody else has guide could they please mail it to me, thanks

13. checks

checks Member

By dbox freeze's every few minutes and has to switched off at mains. Could this be a fualt in the box or how it is programed?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  14. eadie

eadie Guest

still looking for any help only just got the dbox and dont know what to do any newbies guide or a link to where i can get it would help

15. armaan

armaan Member

Hi
    I have a box using the sportster image? It worked ok for a little bit but playing about with the remote the remote itself has stopped working with the unit. We have tried the remote with another dbox and there was no issue. Prior to it not working the box was dropped (my fault) and I have had a friend look inside and there is no internal damage. Can anyone tell me tell me if there is a soloution. I dont have any more information apart from the ebay link where I purchased the box.
    Please please help

16. harry7603

harry7603 Member

hi if anybody is willing to sell his dbox faulty or not drop me an message!preferably a satelite one

17. Timoweb

Timoweb Member

THE BEGINNERS GUIDE - HOW TO FTP AN IMAGE v1.0 (Sept 2005)

What’s required - HARDWARE:

1. DBox2 in DEBUG MODE with Linux Neutrino already installed
    2. RJ45 Network Crossover cable.
    3. PC (this was done using windows XP) with a network card.

What’s Required – SOFTWARE:

FTP program eg. “Flash FXP” (30-day trial version works fine).
    ’Image’ file (eg. boxcracker, sportster, zorge, etc) (make sure to use the correct 1x or 2x Image) (see notes 2)
    ’Bouquets’ and ‘Services’ files for your area

Let’s Get Started:

To make this easier, place your tv/box close to your PC
    (so that you have easy access to the back of both, to change cables around.)

1. PC Setup: Now would be a good time to create a ‘System Restore Point’ on your PC,
    (as you will have probably have to change the IP settings, to something different from your internet settings).

Unplug your internet connection NOW to avoid any conflicts.

Switch OFF all firewalls and antivirus on your PC
    (and make sure windows XP built in firewall is OFF)

2. Power on the TV and DBox, but don’t hook it up to your PC yet.

Using the remote control, press DBOX > SETTINGS > NETWORK
    Take a note of the DBox network settings
    (this is an example only)

IP-Address 192.168.0.3
    Net Mask 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast 192.168.0.255
    Def Gateway 192.168.0.2
    Name Server 192.168.0.2

3. On the PC go to START BUTTON > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL and open the NETWORK CONNECTIONS

Right-click the network card (it may say Local Area Connection),
    and select PROPERTIES > CONFIGURE > ADVANCED tab

Highlight the ‘Connection Type’ (in the left window),
    and in the right ‘Value window there is a drop down menu (it will probably currently say automode)
    Change the Value to 10 full mode then OK

Again, right-click the same connection, and go back into the PROPERTIES of the network card
    There is a List of items in the first window (you may need to scroll down further)
    Left-click on internet protocol, when it is highlighted, click the PROPERTIES button.

Select the ‘Use the following IP address’
    Enter the settings, as you seen it on your DBox, except the IP address will be one digit less of the last number
    (eg. 192.168.0.3 on DBox, so use 192.168.0.2 on your PC)

OK these settings.

4. Connect the RJ45 cable between PC and DBox (linking them together)

Run the Flash FXP program
    On one side should be the files on the PC
    On the other side make sure you select ‘ftp browser’ (the tab is a monitor and folder picture)
    (It may already be selected)

Click CONNECT (the icon which looks like a lightening bolt)

Select QUICK CONNECT the three boxes require some information
    SERVER OR URL = (enter the IP address of the DBox)
    USERNAME = root
    PASSWORD = dbox2

Then click CONNECT

You should now see the DBox files in the window (if not, check the IP settings).

5. In the PC file window, browse to the folder containing the Image file you are going to use (eg. “2x-cryo-sportster.img”)

In the DBox window browse to the TMP folder (NOTE: you may already be in this folder).

Transfer the image file across into the TMP folder

When done close down the Flash FXP program.

(Now go over to the DBox)

6. Using the DBox remote control, press (in this order)

DBOX > SERVICE > SOFTWARE UPDATE > EXPERT FUNCTIONS > WRITE ONE PARTITION >
    FLASH WITHOUT BOOTLOADER

Select the Image available (the one you just transferred over from PC) and select YES to flash

The DBox will start to erase existing flash, and write the new one (this will only take a few minutes)
    The DBox will reset itself when done, and start up the new image

*** CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FLASHED YOUR DBOX ***

IF YOUR DBOX DOESN’T START BACK UP CORRECTLY …
    Use the ‘System Restore’ program on your PC
    Select ‘Restore To An Earlier Time’ and choose the correct point
    Turn back ON your firewall, and virus checker
    Connect back onto the internet, and online to the forum
    Search for the answer to your problem, or post for some help !!!

7. Now To Add Some Channels:

Go back to stage 2, and check, as your DBox IP Address may have changed

Take a note of the settings (if different) (if so, change the settings on your PC as shown in stage 3)

8. Go back to the PC, and run the Flash FXP program

Reconnect the PC to DBox (remember the IP Address of the DBox may have changed)

In the PC file window, browse to the folder containing the “service” and “bouquets” files

In the DBox window browse to /VAR/TUXBOX/CONFIG/ZAPIT/

Transfer the “service” and “bouquet” files across into there

When done close down the Flash FXP program.

9. Pull out the power cable to the DBox, wait a few seconds, and then power back on
    (this is the best way to prevent any channel problems)

10. You may want to use the ‘System Restore’ program now, on your PC,

Select ‘Restore To An Earlier Time’ and choose the correct point
    Turn back ON your firewall, and virus checker
    Connect back onto the internet, and online to the forum
    Let us know how you got on.

NOTES 1:

Try and find the “service” and “bouquets” files for your particular area (most areas are different from each other)

Some Image files (which you may download from the net) may already contain pre-installed “service” files etc.
    but, you may find it difficult to transfer (overwrite) with other newer “service” files (which you may want to try)

jbhoy1 recommends a clean Image (eg a clean version using Cryo-Sportster-17 2X uk02 (or newer)
    “NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS”.

Big thanks to everybody at www.world-of-digital.com This tut is all their work.
    I only tried to make it a bit easier for newbies like myself to understand … jbhoy1

NOTES 2:

Everyone should pay particular attention to the reference 1x or 2x Image file

Nokia DBox is always a 2 chips box, so the correct Image to flash will only ever be the 2x Image file

A Sagem DBox is different …

You have to physically open up a Sagem DBox to see how many Intel (or AMD) chips
    (which are located on the main board close to the tuner section) it will either be 1 or 2

You must flash the matching Image to this corresponding number of chips

There are pictures of the Sagem motherboards, found on the forum
    Just do a search to find them, or ask if you’re really stuck
    NEVER flash any old Image, if you’re not sure if 1x or 2x (IF YOU DO, THEN THE DBOX MAY NOT RESTART).

Finale

… And a big thanks to jbhoy1 from the Woolif, for allowing me to upload this revised version of the guide 

This guide is based on the dbox2 guide for dummies like myself (NOKIA) by jbhoy1 (which is based on other previous guides by members)
    Your original guide, as it was presented on the forum, is great.
    Now I’ve made it available as an easily readable download file. I hope this version, of the guide, meets your approval

Although originally written for a Nokia DBox, almost exactly the same applies for Sagem DBox (except notes 2)

THIS GUIDE IS FREE AND ONLY AVAILABLE FROM THE FORUM MENTIONED ABOVE.

IF YOU FOUND THIS INFORMATION USEFUL THEN PLEASE CONSIDER A DONATION
    TO THE FORUM (we all want the place to be around for a good while) 

18. sdt1986

sdt1986 Member

nice one now my box dont work at all and i dont have a clue what to do.

19. sdt1986

sdt1986 Member

im beginning to think that ive wasted my money i cant believe this

20. delooney

delooney Member

Just need a couple of questions answering.... i have looked everywhere for these too!!

1. I've moved in to a brand new building and they already have a Telewest satellite point on the walls, do i have to actually ring up TW and subscribe to their tv service to then allow my DBOX2 to get the channels, or should the DBOX be able get the channels without the subscription. (i hope that all makes sense!)

2. What is the latest version of the image for the NOKIA DBOX2 (2x) Telewest London (UK) Neutrino. And where's the best place to get this? is it (modshack??)

3. Where can i find in the DBOX2 menus which version of which image is on my NOKIA DBOX2?

4. Any info on being a Mac user from anyone? tips? software? hints? etc? anything? VLC setup/settings?

Many Thanks in advance guys

delooney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.