1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia Dbox2

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by waitsey, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Sven

Dan_Sven Member

Hello people

I am looking into getting a Dbox2, i just need to know what i need to set it all up within my house (broadband?). Im from the UK and currently have sky tv and virgin broadband.

What maintenance will need to be carried out?

Any Guidence will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

More than likely its a dbox1 cos they have bad LCD there is a way of getting rid of it but you need to first download cuteFTP and connect thru the box that way there is alot of manuals and the images on my link below have a read of the guide and if you get dizzy lemme know to see what we can do to get ya up and running if i was you first i would open the box and make sure its a 1 or 2 chip box thats very important but i guess its a x1 chip but what do i know lol

3. ikilledya

ikilledya Member

Hi

Thanks for that mate, I'll open it up tomm after work and hopefully get it sorted out. If I get stuck I'll send you a msg :p

4. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

if you are getting a Dbox you will need to have a basic cable package from virgin as the boxes dont work off sky personnall if i was you i'd get a Eurovox there alot easyier to set up and less hardship

5. Dan_Sven

Dan_Sven Member

Ah ok thanks i did wonder if subscription was an issue.

6. scubar

scubar Member

subscription is not an issue mate you dont need any basic package for the dbox to function, as long as you have a cable feed into your gaff you'll be off and running.

7. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

scubar you will need a basic package of which is not free to get i'd love to know how your doing it inless your using the neighbours feed plus the Dbox wont work without it if it does you should start your own business

8. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

scubar you will need a basic tv package of which is not free to get i'd love to know how your doing it inless your using the neighbours feed plus the Dbox wont work without it if it does you should start your own business

9. scubar

scubar Member

sorry mate you do not need to subscribe to a basic package, if you have a cable feed to your house the dbox does decode the signal, no one i know who has a dbox has any form of basic virgil package

10. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

So what cable provider is it in your area cos without N*l Chor*s Virg*n Etc etc it will not work inless were getting are wires crossed here

11. scubar

scubar Member

the cable supplier is virgil mate as it is everywhere in england now, any house that has had cable supplied in the past by nthell, cable and wirefree will still have a cable feed to that house whether there is an active subscription or not, it is very rare they actually disconnect the feed from the green box on the road and even if they do it's easy to plug back in, therefor a dbox with a working image will decode the incomming signal from the pre exsisting feed without virgil knowing it and without subscribing to any package whatsoever. in fact i reckon if you do subscribe to a basic package you've more chance of a visit from them than if you've never had any contact with them. it works with broadband also no subscription but full access!!

12. oggnogg

oggnogg Regular member

ahh now that a little more clear so your reconnecting the old feed back up without the provider knowen.what i meant was without that feed connected back up you wouldnt get a signal over here in ireland they just cap the connection outside with a nut its just the matter of breaking it off and connecting your feed back on

13. scubar

scubar Member

obviously it's a bit different over on the emerald isle then mate!! reconnecting over here is very rarely required as they just tend to take the decoder back and the feed is just left in the property, my last 3 propertys have all had old cable feeds in that have had no subscription for ages but i've not had to go opening the green box, just plugged in the trusty dboxes scan and watch. so the advice i'd give over here in england is if you have a brow/white box on the outside wall try a working dbox on it before getting any basic package from virgil you'll most likely be pleasently surprised.

14. glic83

glic83 Regular member

unless you have the tool to remove them that makes it very handy but they are like rocking horse sh*t

15. bryandir

bryandir Regular member

HI GUYS!!

a little help please?

i have bought a HDD dvd recorder,and set it up with my nokia dbox 2,but when i go the the scart function to record from my dbox,the picture flashes on for about 3 seconds ,then blanks out saying "protected" is there a setting on the dbox i need to adjust to get it working?

cheers guys!!!

16. bryandir

bryandir Regular member

just to add,i seen somewhere that the image i have me not support the hdd recording because earlier images were proteced in some way,do i need to flash my box with spotster 1.10 to enable the hdd recorder to pick up the dbox??

cheers!!!!

17. turner123

turner123 Guest

hi i have just got a dbox2 3 days ago i have loads of channels on it but there were in a complete mess so me being ocd tried to put them in correct order now they have all gone ?? on the service menu were you do a scan /then provider ie cable uk 6995 6887? n brute force now it says kabels deutchlands???

the box has commando 6 on debug mode etc nokia dbox2
    im also using vista is that a problem? with flash fxp
    or if any1 would be kind enough to help who lives near preston lancs i will travel and pay for this help as im going out of my mind now

please help im sure iv not done much wrong just a stupid mistake n not knowing how to undo it

18. aciddy

aciddy Member

I had the same problem when setting location with Commando 6 it lost the cable uk 6995, 6887 and brute force options and came up with kabels deutchlands as the only option. I could only sort the box by re-flashing it.
    I used Cute ftp with Vista and had no problem and it was easy to set up.

19. turner123

turner123 Guest

hi thanks for the reply i will try that now well see if i can do it im a complete novice to it all ill post back see how i got on with thanks

20. turner123

turner123 Guest

hi there i tried cute program the problem is im connecting to the dbox but its coming "unidentified local only" so i cant transfer files across i dont have permission? it says. im using vista and my sony vaio laptop to do this, i have read that laptop seems cause a problem,all the ftp software programs only seem to have detailed descriptions for xp im stuck my dbox is not workn after 3 days lol and its my fault,please can any1 help or have experianced the same problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.