1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia N95 Maploader

Discussion in 'Nokia phones' started by zacdowen, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zacdowen

zacdowen Member

Hi,
    Ive currently got a Nokia N95 and ive just upgraded the firmware to v20.0.0.015 and i wanted to get the maps working on it. I have a 1Gb MicroSD memory card inserted into the phone at the moment.

I have downloaded the maps before to the phone via my home wireless network but they have not been stored. I was advised to go to nokia's website and download Nokia Maploader 1.3 which i did. I downloaded the maps i wanted and it said that they were now installed onto my phone but when i entered into Nokia Maps again on the phone and scrolled to the UK there was nothing, the land was just green.

I am really new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated, all i want to do is download the UK maps to my memory card for permanent storage without having to connect to anything to retrieve map data.

Thanks
    Zac

2. halpinio

halpinio Regular member

i have the same problem just bought it today and cnt get it working

3. alvince

alvince Member

you have to be connected in the internet for the map to work..and it takes a lot of time for the system to load the graphs...just take patience!!!

4. saadfozi

saadfozi Member

do u guys live in the us cause i wanted to knw which program u r using 4 navigation thx in advance

5. juniR

juniR Guest

Not true - I have maps on my phone and don't need to be connected to use them - In fact I have my connection turned off in the options. It doesn't stop GPS usage (or satnav if you have bought that option). The only time you need a connection for maps is if you don't have them on your phone.

6. andypryce

andypryce Member

I updated the software on my Nokia N73, re-installed Nokia Maps and the UK Map and when I opened the map it was blank also. I set it to connect to Network, then set it back to not connect and it started working correctly.

Strange, I don't understand it but that's what happened.

7. ben1985

ben1985 Member

JuniR

i am trying to learn about this gps system on the nokia n95
    can you help me by telling me how you got yours working.
    if i read right it doent cost to use gps and you can use your computer to install.

please help

thanks

8. juniR

juniR Guest

Go to the official site.

Assuming you've got Nokia Maps installed then you just need the maps and these are installed using the mapsloader sofwtware which you install on your PC. The instructions are all online and to be honest I didn't do anything other than follow those. To use GPS go outside and turn start the maps application. I have the latest version so you then choose "find place" and then GPS position. You might have to wait until it picks up enough good satellite signal. Give it time. But you definitely don't need any internet connection. The only problem is there's no way to really use GPS for anything other than your location unless you subscribe to one of the navigation options. The older version allowed tracking which was great.

I don't really need satnav that badly that I'm gonna pay extra but when I go to Spain I'll pay for the time I use it there. Most of my driving is done around areas I'm very familiar with and I only need a more specific route when I'm close to my destination. So currently I use google maps which tracks my route. It does use data but I have a 1Gb allowance and tend to use less than 250Kb or even much less depending on how well I know the streets I'm driving thru. There may be some improvement in the future which means that google maps can be stored - I dunno - wishful thinking probably. In any case google maps are better in the way they are displayed.

9. moose52c

moose52c Member

Lads just wondering would you rate this phone well, thinking about getting it?..

10. ben1985

ben1985 Member

i do rate this fone. its good for music, films and almost everything. it more like a mini computer than a fone.
    9/10 i would say in the exprience iv had.