1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob needs input on what route I should take

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by jabinya, May 18, 2007.

1. jabinya

jabinya Member

I'm getting into the modding stage late in the game but after reading numerous faqs about modding my xbox I'm still uncertain what route I should go.

I have a 1.6 xbox which I heard is impossible to softmod and risky to hardware mod. Getting a earlier xbox is a likely possibility. I already have Mech assualt and a Action replay.

What I want out of my xbox is;
    A linux OS
    Ability to upgrade HD and DVD drive
    Browse the internet with a broswer
    Play DVDs
    Store all my mp3s and play them
    Run my OEM xbox games if possible

From my research I think I should buy earlier xbox, buy a modchip (Xecuter 3CE or Xenuim Gold, not sure which) install a base linux OS using Mech Assualt and Action Replay and then upgrade the Linux system and then upgrade the HD and DVD drive.

Is this the way I should go?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

You can either softmod or get a modchip with a V1.6 just fine. I just had my friends V1.6 modded with a chip. And before that i softmodded it for him with no problems at all. It just takes a little extra for a modchip then with the earlier versions so i suggest you get it done my a modding service.
    The DuoX2 is a really good basic chip, and the Xenium and Executer chips are higher end chips and both have chips that will work with a 1.6 like the Xenium Gold.

All the other stuff you can get piece by piece. Like the internet an Linux you can get with an auto installer called AID 3.0 which has XDSL a linux based program with a Firefox web browser.
    With a chip changing the hard drive is simple, not quite as simple to do if you softmod it. There is no need to upgrade the DVD drive unless it has problems. Modded it will run both retail games, and backed up copies. The auto installer will give you DVD RegionX which is a region free DVD player and once modded you do not need the DVD kit that an unmodded Xbox needs to play them.
    And you can do many many more things as well.