1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob seeking help!

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Ace_7, May 18, 2007.

1. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

just got my DS Lite 2 days ago, thats when I found out that there is this flash card thing going around, m3 lite or something, I did some research, and I couldn't believe I could watch movies on my ds, so im really interested in getting a flash card that would allow me to backup my gba and ds games, listen to music, and watch movies, pics...etc on my ds, can anyone recommend a brand for me and post a safe link from where I can purchase one at a good price, and id really appreciate it if someone can tell me more about these flash cards, perhaps how much memory they support, what I have to do to backup my ds games?...etc
    please answer all my question and thank you in advance.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I use the R4DS which is similar to the M3 Simply. This is a DS cart that will play NDS ROMS/Music/Video/NES Emulator

There is not much difference between R4 and M3. They are actually made by the same manufacture but just use 2 different names. They both have their own firmware but pretty much both can do the same.

I don't think R4DS or the M3 Simply support GBA ROMS so you will have to get a Slot2 cart for those. I don't know much about that so someone else will have to help you with the GBA part.

The R4 and M3 Simply use a MicroSD card. The size can very from 512MB to 4GB.

Setup is pretty simple. You will need to go to the R4 or M3 Simply website and download the latest firmware. Transfer it over to your MicroSD via USB on the computer. The DS ROMS are placed in the root directory of the MicroSD card.

Once you get the game ROMS you want to the MicroSD card you place it into the DS cart and then place the R4/M3 cart into the DS and turn on. Now the fun part. (you can ask more questions on how to work things once you decide and get the DS cart of your choice)

You have 3 options. Games (start a DS game) Multimedia (Uses moonshell as the media player) Slot2 (boots the slot 2 GBA slot)

Below is a link to a site that sells an R4DS with a 1GB MicroSD card for $43.99 with free shipping. Cheapest I have seen around. So a great deal haven't seen 1 better.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1899

As for the GBA games someone else will have to help with that.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  3. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

well I heard m3 lite is the way to go, it supports both gba and ds, i dunno, what do u guys say? and also id like to know how big an avg game is so that i know how big of a flash card i should look at, also what USB do i use to transfer media to my card?

much appreciated

4. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

looky here

1. yeah m3 lite.

2. from the games i think most people play, 64MB.

3. anything that takes standard sized sd cards. the m3 simply comes with a microsd to usb reader, and since the lite and simply both take microsd, i just use that.

6. what's up with the 2 threads eh?

8. blah blah blah.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Games can be from 32MB to 128MB I would say the avreage game would be 32MB but there are allot of 64MB and 128MB games out there.

As to the M3 being better. They both have the same options.

They are made from the same manufacture. They actually use the same board in the cart. There are soldering points that make an R4 an R4 and an M3 an M3.

There was a time when you could make an R4 an M3 or vice-versa. All you had to do is unsolder point 1 from point 2 and bridge point 2 to point 3 to change the cart to the other. They changed the board design since then so this could not be done.

But I still will stick to you will need a Slot 2 GBA cart to play the GBA ROMS.

6. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

i must mention that m3 is not the same as m3 lite, an m3 lite is a slot 2 cart that supports gba roms which the m3 doesnt

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

But you will need an M3 Simply or an R4DS to play the NDS roms. Plus a GBA Slot2 cart (M3 Lite) to play GBA ROMS.

So 1 cart is not going to do both NDS ROMS and GBA ROMS.

8. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Guess you learn something new everyday. I will bookmark that.

10. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

m3 is a "brand". they make the m3 *blank*. the m3 lite >PERFECT< [by the m3 team] will play gba/ds. the m3 lite >PRO< [again, by m3] will not. so always look for >PERFECT< if you want gba.

m3 is a >brand<.

for some reason, people often get confused about this...

11. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

I think im making a move for the m3 perfect then, any safe links i can buy it from with a low price? fast shipping too

12. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

ummmm, well the guide in my sig has some reliable links. im unsure of the prices/shipment.

13. Ace_7

Ace_7 Member

Whats SD reader? and Whats the difference between the m3 simply and the m3 lite perfect, besides that one goes in slot 1 and the other in slot 2?

14. spathi

spathi Regular member

Want to point out that R4/M3S only support upto 2gb as of right now.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@spathi

This is from the R4DS site...

Q: How many files can I have on the R4?
    A: R4 Adapter supports 128MB~4GB TF(MicroSD) card , 4GB=32Gbit

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  16. mochuynh

mochuynh Member

plz help me, as a noob to the new nds programs

for the m3 lite perfect do u need a passcard? where do i get the games from to put it on the ds? is it possible to put itunes on it? i have seen some people on youtube make their ds play itunes. how can i do that?

17. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

BUT the card MUST BE NON SDHC. Thats the problem right there, as of now all the 4gb micro-sd cards are SDHC (high capacity). and the m3 simply and r4 cannot play high capacity cards. id like to point out that it said 128mb~4gb TF(MicroSD) and not SDHC, completely different. SDHC even has its own reader because the normal readers cannot even detect/read the SDHC

if you must need 4gb, there is an M3 Real, which is compatible with SDHC cards, but all ive seen is the Chinese version, found on dealextreme.com if you can read Chinese, then go ahead and get it.

oh, if anybody has seen a 4gb micro-sd without SDHC, please tell

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  18. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

the get games, you just download roms in some sites, just google it. then the itunes on ds part, its not neccesarily itunes, its just just a app for the nds. that is similar to moonshell (a program that plays multimedia stuff like music and movies) but with the different layout. you just download the file and such, and put it on your flash cart and get songs/videos. im not 100% sure as because i have not tried, but its relatively the same.

sorry for double posting.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  19. mochuynh

mochuynh Member

srry again for being a nooblet, and quite picky:

Can someone plz recommend me a site to download the english roms? i plan on getting a m3 lite perfect (are there any english ones u can purchase online?), so i can download gba games too. can can someone also send me a link to find a "moonshell" application for the ipod skin (hopefully the skin can be black because my dslite is black and play videos too like a video ipod). the only reason i am pick with the ipod "moonshell" application is because i thought it was cool http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUpAlKknlEQ

20. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member