1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob to DVD creation

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mark9977, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mark9977

mark9977 Member

Hi,

I have many TV shows that I want to burn to a DVD so my Mom can watch them as she doesn't want to watch them on her computer.

I have CCE and use it to make my movies with DVD Rebuilder.

I have a read through the guides but still have some questions.

Let's take my Deadwood Series:

- I have 12 episodes of Deadwood Season 3 and they are 4.2gb in size total.

- They are in .avi format

- I want them on DVD

- I want a menu so that she can pick which episode she wants to watch.

When I looked at avi2dvd it looks like it is good for one episode. It says you can add multiple files but I was unable to select more than one. So is that not the program I want?

If my files are 4.2gb now, will all 12 fit on a DVD once they have been re-encoded?

Would I be best to put say 4 episodes on a DVD or does this not matter?

Is there a way to make a menu?

I just need to get started and kind of don't really know where to start. I am proficient with the CCE/DVDRB method for DVD's, just need a nudge with this new venture.

Cheers!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I've not used any of the programs you mention but CCE and an authoring program and burning program will do what you want. Or VSO ConvertXtoDVD will do it all in one step for you and with a simple menu. The trial will leave a watermark in your video though. 4 1 hour episodes to a DVD should be the most you add and that depends on the origonal quality. Not even sure you could add 12 but they would be unwatchable after being encoded and burned. I use MainConcept to encode and Ulead MovieFactory to author and burn but that only burns mpg output. VSO will output an AUDIO_TS folder and VIDEO_TS folder but authors and burns, is easy to use, fast and gives great quality.

3. mark9977

mark9977 Member

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, most appreciated. In the end I went with DIKO which uses my CCE for now, and DVDlab to do the DVD creation part, and burning with ImageBurn which I was already using.

So far I am happy with it, takes a long time for the DIKO to do 6 episodes, but I do them while not using the machine. I am getting 6 x 1 hour episodes(well 48-54 minutes actually) on a disc with a menu and the quality looks pretty good, as good as the original 350mb avi's they came from, at least from what I can tell, we don't have the biggest screen.

Thanks again.