1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

normalize recording from the fm radio...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jenoa, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jenoa

jenoa Member

hi

i've recorded a show from the radio, and the peaks are about 75/80%, should i normalize the audio? or leave it like it is? will there be any loss in quality if i normalize?

and if i should normalize, what peaklevel is recommended then?

// jenoa

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I personally would leave it at 75/80%. Thats not that bad. I would only normalize if it was under 60%. There will only be quality loss if it is in compressed format, like mp3, and you have to decode it, then re-encode it. But if it uncompressed, like wav, it should be fine. When I normalize low files, I ususally do around 92/95%, depending on the song. I don't like having the sound files maxed out at 100%. What program are you using to do this with? I know there are free programs, like Kristal and Audacity, but have never tried them.

3. jenoa

jenoa Member

Okey, it's an uncompressed wave-file.

I'm using sony soundforge 7.0...

Thanks.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sound forge should work fine, and normalizing an uncompressed audio file shouldn't deteriorate the quality too much.

5. jenoa

jenoa Member

hmm, what's the difference between normalizing and using the "volume" tool in soundforge? is changing the volume the same as normalizing or how does normalizing work?