1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Internet Security 2006 = time to get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by yitbos, Feb 8, 2007.

1. yitbos

yitbos Member

I've used Norton Internet Security since about 2004 (I believe), but recently I've been thinking it's time to get rid of this software and move to something better.

Every time my computer boots, I have a yellow Norton box just to the left of the task bar. It is performing some operation, I think checking the programs that are loading, and takes forever to complete before turning into a green checkbox. The compuer seems to run much slower than it has in the past and as more and more updates are downloaded, it seems to get worse. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that is only a year old maybe with a pentium 4 processo at 3GHz and 1 Gig of memory.

I have used hijack this and some other programs before, but I was interested in opinions on other security programs out there that I should consider using. McAfee is the other one I'm concidering as it does not seem to cause my father as many problems as NIS did. His laptop was painfully slow due to NIS and he removed it and used the free McAfee that his ISP provides through their service.

Can anyone recommend some programs to concider? I ususally wait until after tax day when CompUSA and the other stores have all the internet security software free after the mail in rebate. But I want to be sure I get a good program and it most likely won't be NIS 2007.

Thanks,
    John

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have used Norton and McAfee in the past. Both developed problems over time that even their tech support people could not solve. Get rid of them!

Check out this link. http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

AVG Free is the way to go. Good quality, no problems, and FREE. No need to wait for the tax man.

3. spydah

spydah Member

I can tell you that with all of my PC experience Norton and McAfee are the worst anti-virus softwares you can get. They normally dont detect things until its already done its deed in your PC and you need to reinstall the OS or the applications that were damaged. I have found that using NOD32 which is strictly a anti-virus app and Outpost Pro for firewall they are on top of the home security for your PC. But i say use what you feel comfortable with.

4. suko

suko Member

I have just replaced Norton I. S. 2006 with Kaspersky I. S. and have noticed a speed up in computer operation as I was told would happen.
    I chose Kaspersky because I wanted one program to cover everything and Kaspersky seemed to win comparative all tests.

5. yitbos

yitbos Member

Thanks everyone. I've never heard of Kaspersky but I'll check it out and I did download AGV Free. The file name on the icon says avg75free_432a861. I hope that's the right file. I could not find the free version listed on the AVG website when I was looking. But I probably missed it.

I'll still consider other options if people have suggestions. Since my NIV06 was free with the rebate, I'm not worried about not using it anymore.

Thanks,
    John

6. loveya

loveya Guest

Kaspersky is pretty good. In fact, I'm using it right now!
    Norton is a no no these days nor any days. Niv06 is pretty good too. I tried it in the past but I just didn't like it...Then tried Kaspersky and have been using it since um... not quite sure anymore. ^.^