1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Internet Security 2007 slowdown ?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sorrow93, Sep 18, 2007.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I do hope this is the right forum because technically I'm not having issues with viruses - I am considering high-speed internet from my current dial-up and I have heard some nasty rumours that Norton Internet Security 2007 will slow a broadband/high-speed connection -
    any substance to this?
    currently my NIS 2007 is treating me well and doesn't slow my PC down at all but it's dial-up at present
    any advice sought.

2. muslim

muslim Guest

hmmm the one thins NIS 2007 slowed in my pc is windows starting thats it, instead of 10 seconds it became 30-40 second

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I like the NIS product worth the extra start-up time
    I think having the auto-update feature turned off and to do it manually speeds things up especially on dial-up
    and as long as it's not set to scan the PC every few minutes helps too
    are you on high-speed ??
    no slowness?
    thanks for the reply muslim

4. muslim

muslim Guest

You are welcome sorrow93, i like NIS also its easy and effective and i am too lazy to try something else :), i turned auto-update feature off but didnt notice any difference but i will keep it off might see the result in a few days, excuse my english but didnt get you when you asked :

are you on high-speed ??
    no slowness?

hope you explain so i can answer :) thanks

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

happy you replied a big thankyou
    high-speed meaning your internet connection - is it dial-up or a faster internet?
    sorry for the confusion. dial-up is the calling up of your phoneline to the internet and very slow (a mp3 might take 15-20 minutes to download) and high-speed is much faster
    am I making any sense? my fault my english is bad and I speak it lol.
    kind regards
    sorrow93

6. muslim

muslim Guest

hi :) nice to hear from you, i dont know what kind of a connection i have but my download speed is 15-16 kb/s and the upload is 2.5-5 kb/s, i am sure its not i dial-up, i learned english few years ago kind regards for you too and sure you make sense now!

7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

To the Original Poster, yes. NIS causes all sorts of system slowdowns, although the connection speed itself is probably the least obvious. That's what I don't recommend any Symantec product to my company's clients or anybody else. The script-blocking historically has been the biggest source of internet slowdowns problems, but generally only over HTTP(S), but has apparently gotten (relatively) better since earlier versions. Of course, that kind of filtering can be pretty intensive regardless of which application you use - even the terrific Proxomitron can cause slowdowns with complex filtering scripts, albeit it's much more thorough and still faster than NIS. Bottom line is, though, you can do much better than Norton's...with pretty much any other AV package on the market.

Resident anti-virus protection, regardless of who makes the software, tends to cause some amount of slowdown with disk access, and can potentially cause a high-speed connection to stutter or barf every now and then, but only under a heavy disk load (e.g. downloading a lot of files at once, etc..) Disabling this can allow for better system performance, but, of course, resident protection is the main reason you have anti-virus software for in the first place. (Unless you're like me and usually only do on-demand and email scanning i.e. scan the entry points for malware - not a good idea though if you aren't 100% sure and careful about what you download, where you go, etc.)

The auto-update can be a problem too (you ought to see a corporate net slow to a crawl at, oh, about 8:30 in the morning! :/) but doing the manual thing like you are doing now should help that. Many AV products try to wait until the connection is idle before performing an update, but most are rather inconsistent.

One thing you should be aware of is that NIS is probably the least secure of all anti-virus and/or security packages. I see 9 known vulnerabilities for NIS 2006 alone (10 for the previous version), versus 6 for NOD32, 3 for AVG and 2 for Avira Anti-Vir. (The latter two include stats for both the free and paid versions of the software.) So you're probably safer using a less, er, well, "high-target-potential" security package.

8. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

P.S. My source for those vulnerabilities is secunia.com's database.

9. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

thankyou Muslim your english is pretty good cheers
    thanks Dunker interesting reading I am always open to ideas and I appreciate your help and opinions - kind regards
    commonsense in your sig too. rock those verbatims and yudens !!