1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Not a valid disk" on DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by hogweed, Nov 4, 2007.

1. hogweed

hogweed Member

I’ve been burning DVD’s for years with Nero 6 despite its warning about incompatibility with XP, on my old faithful BTC 2X burner, with NO problems. I play them back on a DVR-9000H DVD/had disk machine.

Recently I made the cardinal mistake of changing two things at once – I upgraded to Nero 7, and bought a new 16X SATA burner – it’s an OptiArc DVD RW AD-7170S, according to Windows.

Since then, nothing but problems. DVDs I burn won’t play on the DVD recorder – it says they’re “not valid disks”. But they play fine on the girlfriend’s cheap and nasty DVD Player! I’m using the last few media in a 100 pack, so I’ve made like 85 successful DVDs before this trouble.

Any hints please? Do you think it's a Nero problem, a burner problem, or coincidentally a problem with the DVD player? The media I’m currently using are Philips DVD+R 1-16X 4.7GB.

Thanks…

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Those Philips media aren't the world's best in all likelihood. It may be the case that your newer burner just doesn't like them. Here are some things to check.

- is the burner firmware up to date.
    - are you booktyping your burned +Rs as DVD-ROM?
    - at what speed are you burning with the newer burner?
    - have you tried using ImgBurn to burn?

Please post back if you need help with any of the above or if they don't solve your problem.

It would also be helpful if you posted back to this thread one of your Nero History Log sections for one of your burns. Most of what I asked above will be indicated in the log section. Be sure to remove your name and serial number from the log posting. The log will be in this path:

Program Files -> Ahead -> Nero -> NeroHistory.txt

Each section begins with a burning ROM header followed by the name and program serial number shortly thereafter. Likely the very last section will provide the necessary info.

3. hogweed

hogweed Member

OK, I understand that may be a possibility… but then they DO play OK on another machine…

Don’t know, need to check I suppose (how?)

Sorry, I don’t know how to do this… I just click on the default in Nero and burn. It’s always worked OK before.

16X. But, as an experiment, I tried the same disk at 4X, but no difference.

I’m going to sound really stupid here, but I don’t even know what that is I’m afraid! I’ll look it up.

Update – as my daughter desperately wanted to see the movie, I tried a cleaning CD in my player… now it plays them all OK! The reason I didn’t try this before was that I’d only DONE it already about a week ago, and hardly ever play DVDs (so I don’t open the drawer much) – the thing has a hard disk in it, which I record TV programs on.

I suspect that must be it then – but I wonder why it gets dirty so quickly? Could it be because it has a PSU with a fan in it, which sucks dust in through the DVD drive… in which case, why don’t PCs suffer from this too… questions, questions…

4. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Are you burning DVDs from actual DVD-rips or encoding using Nerovision?

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Glad you got it sorted out and all is well and it was such an easy fix.

6. hogweed

hogweed Member

I'm using DVDshrink -then I simply drag and drop the Video_TS folder in Nero.

Thanks