1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not able to install software

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Bawango, May 25, 2011.

1. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

Hey guys

My parents have a problem with "MS Removal tool" virus or spyware. I know how to fix it but the issue I am running into is their PC will download AVG and Malwarebytes but when I try to get him to install it and he clicks on "run" nothing happens.
    We've tried this with AVG,Malwarebytes, and Log Me In and all 3 will not install :S Is the "MS Removal tool" preventing my father and I from installing these programs or is there an issue with Windows 7 that I am not aware of.
    They just got this PC back from Future Shop and the HDD was replaced and it came with Norton Anti virus which is junk to start with.
    My parents are not computer literate at all and I don't want Future Shop or any others to take advantage of them. Please shoot any ideas as to why I am not able to install these programs

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried system restore to before "ms removal tool" got on the laptop?

4. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

I tried to get them to do system restore and it wasn't even letting them do that either. I've gotten suggestions to install the software while its on safe mode or create another admin user, log in as the new admin user and install the software that way. I guess the theory is the malware only affects the profile that's logged in.