1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not detecting burner? please help

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by zigzagzig, May 2, 2003.

1. zigzagzig

zigzagzig Member

I have an older Imation Cd-Burner. The burner is slaved to my primary cd read drive, just a lite-on 48x i believe. I believe this problem started after I installed XP? Not sure. Anyways, my computer will detect the drive on one boot, and then on the next boot, won't even acknowledge that it exists. There's always power to it; it opens and closes. I try putting a blank in there to see if it'll autoplay and I can get a reaction, but nothing happens. I'm using Nero 5.5.7.8. Can anybody help please???

2. zigzagzig

zigzagzig Member

btw, the device doesnt show up in my computer, or device manager. the 48x shows up though...

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Which device does not show?

If the unit is seen by Windows, try upgrading Nero to a newer version.

If not, reinstall the burner and get the latest drivers.

Last edited: May 3, 2003
  4. zigzagzig

zigzagzig Member

The burner doesn't show up at all in my computer, or the device listing. I'm guessing that means windows doesn't see it at all. However, it sees the lite-on 48x drive (parent drive). What I'm confused about, is that I just burned 2 cd's 1.5-2 weeks ago. And all of a sudden it's not being detected?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Check the burner is connected rpoberly (some cable disconneceted?)

After that, use Control Panel, there should be a 'Install new Hardware' icon. It should scan for undetected components, find the burner and reinstall the drivers (getting them from the PC, if available, or from a disk).

Last edited: May 5, 2003
  6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Power down your pc and take off the right side panel (looking from back) and disconnect the ide cable directly attached to your Imation burner and re-connect then power up the pc and see if Windoze detects the burner. Are you getting power? (light).Be sure that all ide cables are firmly attached to each device and to your mobo.

Shoey :)

7. zigzagzig

zigzagzig Member

hahaha, i just turned on my computer and checked this thread, and my burner suddenly is beign detected again by windows... ahhhhhhhhhh, im gonna go crazy. next time it goes crazy and decides to stop detecting it again, ill try unplugging the ide plug and see if it detects. but i dont see how it could, since that's the only way the computer would know that it exists?

8. zigzagzig

zigzagzig Member

ok, today it's not working again...

9. T2K

T2K Guest

could be a faulty ribon cable

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sometimes when i get probs like this! i uninstall the said device in device manager then reboot for windows to install it and the driver again!

try it.......