1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enough compression on DVD Shrink.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tokthadon, Aug 8, 2004.

1. tokthadon

tokthadon Member

The most that I can get on a disk is 4,464 MB. After DVD Shrink finishes compressing the movie(Love Jones), it is over 4,464 MB. I'm wondering if I can remove the AC3 2-ch English audio, since I already have AC3 5-ch English. Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. kringles

kringles Regular member

There is usually no reason to keep the AC3 2-ch as most systems will properly play the 5.1 even is only mono or stereo system.
    regards
    kringles

3. nsun38

nsun38 Member

In addititon to leave out different languages and sound. You can also decide to re-author.

To keep the minimum compression on the main title, from time to time, I will "re-Author" and leave out all or some of the extras.

If you still want the extras but don't care the quality, I will manually give "heavy" compression (e.g. 50%) on the extras. Again, the purpose is to keep the main title less compressed to match the original quality.

4. nsun38

nsun38 Member

In addititon to leave out different languages and sound. You can also decide to re-author.

To keep the minimum compression on the main title, from time to time, I will "re-Author" and leave out all or some of the extras.

If you still want the extras but don't care the quality, I will manually give "heavy" compression (e.g. 50%) on the extras. Again, the purpose is to keep the main title less compressed to match the original quality.

5. carpki

carpki Guest

If you click on the 'Guides' tab at the top of the page and then look under the subject heading DVD-R, you will find a nifty pre-written guide to using DVD Shrink on films bigger that the size you are talking about. However if you go into DVD Shrink > Edit >Preferences You can select the DVD target size file and even customise the size if you wish. This would mean that DVD Shrink will automatically shrink the film to this size to allow it to be burnt to disc.
    You could certainly use the re-author mode to strip away the files/streams you don't need and the above guide will show you how!

6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Several points ... (1) It's odd that Shrink couldn't fit the whole thing -- normally it compresses as low as you want it to, whether that be to 4,464mb (as it sounds like you have it set) or 4,300mb (which is what I have set in Shrink just so my burns don't go all the way to the edges). I've only had Shrink not be able to compress the DVD to fit once or twice, and that's when the original has been much bigger than usual -- Shrink's compression percentage was something like 48%, which is as low as it would go, and the DVD still wouldn't fit. So what I did was shrink twice -- run it through once at, say, 80% (and of course the program gives me a message saying the shrunk version won't be able to fit on a DVD-R, which I knew), and then run those files through Shrink again (using the "open files" command instead of "open disc") to make my target size. This method will definitely work, although the final product will be extremely compressed so be forewarned. (I always did a "deep analysis" with both shrink runs to improve the quality, but still.)

(2) Yes, you can normally delete the AC3 2-ch. English if there's also an AC3 5.1-ch. Even if your standalone player isn't 5.1-channel, it will just "revert" itself to 2-ch. This will help your compression level a bit -- usually by several percentage points (e.g. will jump from 51% to 54% or so).

(3) A couple of people have mentioned re-authoring in Shrink, and they're right, that's always an option. However, be aware that you will lose menu function if you re-author in Shrink. So if you want to keep a working menu, don't use re-author.

7. Stoner51

Stoner51 Guest

I don't know if yoou've tried this but you can compress some files more manually in the full backup mode. In the left screen you you click on the menu and in the compression bar where it says automatice compression click the drop down bar and select manual compression then move the slide bar to the left to increase the compresssion(the lower the # the more the compression)I think It will go down to 41% or something close. then do the same with the credits. When you do this you see the size of the main movie go up. In other words you compress the menus and the credits and the main movie is not AS COMPRESSED. The menu and the credits don't look as good but the movie looks better. I mostly watch the movie. If I want to keep everything I will use a DL(haven't yet). I find shrink very eay to use and the new version has more features than the old. On another note I don't like to put still pics in because it looks funny IMO. hope this might help.
    Steve