1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Enough Space on Disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Fritz001, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Fritz001

Fritz001 Member

Ok, I apologise in advance because this is at least partially repitition and I think I may already know the solution or at least one solution but here goes.

I'm converting AVI to DVD but the output DVD file is too big for the disc.

I know I can split the AVI into 2 files using VirtualDub and then presumably create 2 dvd discs which is fine as far as it goes but is it possible to somehow squeeze the whole film onto 1 dvd disc. The output file is 5.3 GB and I obviously don't want to loose too much quality. I've heard people talk about overburning discs but this doesn't sound very logical to me or maybe I've just got a hold of the wrong end of the stick.

The AVI has already had all the "extra bits" stripped out.

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Use a compressor like DVD2One or DVDShrink (freeware) to squeeze your title-set down to the acceptable size. Follow this guide (adjusting as necessary since your source is not a DVD, but a title-set on your hard drive):

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink.htm

3. Fritz001

Fritz001 Member

Thanks Yuriv, I've read that DVDShrink section which seems to solve my problem.

Last question is should I convert the AVI to a "DVD" on the HDD first and then use DVDShrink to compress?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Convert using TMPGEnc to get your avi into mpeg2 format. Then using TMPGEnc DVD Author turn the mpeg2 into IFO, VOB, BUP, et (DVD) format and compress with DVD Shrink if it is needed