1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not replayable

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by buckley2, May 15, 2007.

1. buckley2

buckley2 Member

I get a copy okay but when loading on dvd player it comes back not replayable. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Does it play in the PC?
    What programs are you using?
    Firmware up to date?
    What brand discs are you using?
    How fast are you burning?
    What format are the blanks?
    Does your standalone accept that format?

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

4. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Use Verbatim DVDR- 16x and burn at 4x

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Well this one is perpetuating nicely...

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  6. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

ummm! burning a 16x disc at 4x seems a little overkill. too slow a burn can also cause errors.
    as IHoe says even the manufactuers of media say that the stated max rating of the disc is for data and they recommend that for video
    the burn speed should be 1/2 the max rated speed i.e
    4x max = data...video 2x
    8x max = data...video 4x (i have found that with good media these burn better at 6x)
    16x max =data...video 8x

"perpetuating" wow

7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

well maybe so but I've done this way for the last 1000 disc and have not had a problem so I was just saying what works for me

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well...... I have been burning disks for over 5 yrs now ..... and I know I burned over 3000 DVDs.... and I have always burned at half the rated speed of the media... some exceptions...... YUDEN000T02s are so good that my BenQ drive could burn them at 16x (overburning).... and I must admit they came out decent, but I got better Nero Scans burning at half the rated speed of the disks.... right now the YUDEN000T03s burn real nice at 8x with excellent scans! What you have to do is find out what burning speeds are good with what disks being used and you can check out your scans to make the best scores!

9. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

well if it's not broke you can't fix it

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I think the correct quote is ..... If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it! Can't you tell I'm from NY!

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  11. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    there was no intent to knock the Rock :)
    there are always exceptions to the rules, what ever works for you is the way to go
    all we can do is give a base for a newbie to start from and with a bit of luck, they will find the best way for them to do it on their own system