1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not the same crc error question!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zenarrrow, Mar 15, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK here is my prob. I have a few disc's that come up crc errors on my decrypter. The thing is I took them over to my friends house, and I downloaded dycrypter to his comp. On his the disc's read fine, problem is he doesn't have a dvd burner. I am able to rip the movies to his harddrive. When I do backup my movies at my place I go to msconfig and shut down all programs then reboot. What is going on in my system that is preventing my comp from ripping to hard drive? What processes are going on? Why would I get the crc error and not him? Again I have tried 2 movies? I have 34 gb of free space on my harddrive.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

CRC errors are not caused by hard drive space, PC memory or speed. It is strictly an error that occurs when your ROM for whatever reason, cannot read a portiion of the disc. This is usually caused by a faulty original (dirty/scratched/flawed) or there is something wrong with your ROM. Some ROMs are more sensitive to faults on the disc as well. You are a bit low on HDD space, thats enough to burn a movie though. You may want to try cleaning your ROM with a commercial DVD cleaner, sometimes just a bit of canned air will do it.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

THank you very much. I will try that. I was considering purchasing a new burnew an internal one. Do you think then maybe it is my dvd rom burner? Thats kinda what I was thinkin'. I would like a dual format any how. So you don't think it's any process or anything?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A ROM, when talking about DVD drives is a Read Only device. If you have only one drive in your PC then you probably have a DVD burner that you are also using to read the originals with. I don't think it's the process. Part of the ripping process is to perform Cyclic Redundancy Checks. If the process encounters a situation where the CRC cannot be completed or has a bad return then the error message pops up as part of the process. I don't think you could cause a CRC error by doing anything with the program settings.

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you, I have a NEC DVD+RW 1100A. If I were to upgrade, what internal dvdrw burner would you suggest?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I like Pioneer drives the best, mainly because of the availability of firmware. I also have a Sony DL that has been trouble-free. It's a matter of taste and how much money you want to spend more than anything else. I don't know of any that I would say to avoid, as long as it is from a major manufacturer, you will probably be OK. There are lots of opinions here, maybe we will hear from some other folks about what they like.

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I am staring to believe it is my burner now just tried to copy a movie I have done before, now have crc error. You think so?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

All indications say yes. Try a light shot of canned air with the tray open, maybe just a bit of dust on the laser. If you are burning with the same drive as you are reading with, then it is very possible that your drive may be getting tired.

You should be able to rip and burn several hundred discs I would think. I don't know what the actual lifespan of a burner ought to be, but a few hundred hours does not seem unreasonable.

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have been reading and burning alot with just the one drive. So I will try canned air and maybe a dvd cleaner disc. Thank you very much for all the time and thought it is, I hope you know, appreciated. Could I ask one more question? I see people use screen shots of cerain programs that they can take kind of like a picture of lets say dvd shrink. And the picture shows up on the forum in their replys do you know how to do that? Thanks ---zen--> Any how was considering this burner what are the benifits of a double layer burner? Any info would be appreciated. Pioneer DVR-A09X / 16x4x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DV...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I have the NEC 2500A drive in my computer. I sometimes am able to rip one on my laptop that won't rip (crc error) on the NEC. Then I network the two computers together to get the file on the comp. with the burner. Pain in the ass if you ask me.

Just a suggestion: Try a DVD rom. They're cheaper. Add it to your computer to rip, then use your burner drive to burn. I know my NEC burner DOES NOT like scratches!!!!

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Yes sadsac I was shocked when I used my friends dvd rom to rip the movie I struggled with my NEC 1100A That is a good idea on the dvd rom only thanks Maybe nec bites ? I don't know but some of the movies I have burned have been jumpy as well but other dvd+r's from friends work good.