1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebook Audio Solution

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by rsst, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rsst

rsst Member

Hey guys,
    today's question is, I hear that optical TOSLINK connections are some of the best quality audio you can output. I have a stereo system and an amp with the TOSLINK fiber optic connection and an older notebook (Toshiba p205d s8802) that I was given today and would like to use as a music media center. My laptop has an i.link port (IEEE 1394) and an expresscard 34/54 port, and I am assuming the expresscard standard will be superior for high quality audio output. The problem is, I search the web and I can barely probe such a thing, that is an expresscard with a fiber optic port. My main perogative is quality sound output from my laptop to my amp. Does anyone have a better solution besides the expresscard or perhaps a link to a good expresscard sound module that is available for sale?
    thanks!
    rsst

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

I think you will be hard pressed to find an expresscard with that output. Why not look up USB plug-in soundcards (from, say, creative labs or m-audio) I havent checked recently, but you have a much better chance of finding what you want with usb solution (usb 2.0, please.)

check this link: newegg. it will give you an idea of what is available. Higher sample rate (i.e. 96000 Hz or 192000 Hz) will come in handy for better-than-CD-quality audio files. Higher Bitrate (24-bit audio capable) will also be good for the same reason. Use the filter to find a 5.1 capable card if thats what you want.