1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebook has no firewire port

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by angus999, Feb 12, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Hi all,

I wish to transfer from my Sony HC24 camcorder miniDV tape to PC so that I can record it onto DVD but my notebook does not have a firewire port.

I'm told I need firewire as the quality when transfereing via USB is very poor.

My notebook (Compaq Presario C350) does not appear to have the capability to add a firewire card.

Is there any other way I can convert/adapt a port (for instance a USB port) to firewire?

Thanks

2. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

If your notebook has a pc card (PCI) slot, pick up an pc card with a firewire connector at BestBuy, CompUSA, CircuitCity, etc. Check your notebook specs to see in your what pc cards it will accept. I am not an expert but I believe what you need is a type III cardbus adaptor. I have an old notebook with USB 1.1 ports and I picked up a pc card at Circuit City that has both a USB 2.0 and a firewire connector. It was made by Adaptec and the USB 2.0 and firewire connection work great!!! They'll run you about 50$ or less. Adaptec is more on the expensive ones so there are probably 3rd party that are cheaper.

Here is what I am talking about:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-GB/products/_eol/firewire/fw_adapt/AFW-1430/index.htm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  3. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I only purchased my notebook last Christmas. Not thinking to check on a brand new PC's expandability, I found recently that there is no PCi slot, firewire port or other means to 'install a firewire connection!!

It's unbelievable really in this day and age that a notebook of it's apparent quality does not have a firewire or means of expanding!

4. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Have you tried the transfer with USB, yet? I know there is a difference is the rate of transfer between USB and Firewire, but I haven't heard of significant quality issues betweetn the two...

5. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Hey Laboy,

Yes I have tried with a USB transfer using various programs but the quality of playback on the PC and subsequently burned DVD is terrible.

I am informed by another website Videohelp: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=322263&highlight= ) that it is because of the USB transfer not being able to handle suitable quality video, the quality of video that firewire can!

It looks as though I am stuck, as my notebook does not look to be expandable to firewire!