1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ntsc avi with ac3 to pal DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by godzbogz, Mar 6, 2004.

1. godzbogz

godzbogz Guest

hi ppl.
    i have an ntsc divX avi file that i want to convert to a pal dvd. I have tried converting whole with CuCuSoft avi to vcd/svcd/dvd but it gets so far as to encode the vid, and then says error, no sound detected. help. i'm not bothered about keeping the ac3 sound, but i want it to work on my pal dvd player with sound in sync etc. thanks in advance.

2. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Hey godzbogz....

These days most TV/DVDs here in the UK can read both NTSC & Pal so check whether yours can before converting to PAL. The reason for this is whenever you use most programs to convert from NTSC to PAL you get jerky playback.

As for the program to use, TMPGenc is one way you could go.

You can find the software here...

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Download the latest version then start the program.

If the project wizard doesn't start automatically, which it should do... then click File > Project Wizard.

You will then be given a list of DVD types to choose from... Select PAL and change the audio to MP2 on the right hand side - far better than PCM audio but if you have problems change back to PCM.

Click next. Then click browse next to the Video File box and locate your movie.

If the audio is in with the movie file then it automatically selects the same file you chose for your video file; if not select the audio file using the browse button below the one just used to locate your video source.

You should leave the first two drop down boxes as they are but change the Aspect Ratio drop down box to the PAL one with a resolution shown at the side (704x576) to make sure the movie will play on your standalone DVD player.

Click next. This next screen can be left totally alone unless you want to clip the movie or change other advanced settings. Click next again.

You may get an info box here about bitrate settings, just read it and click ok if it appears.

The next screen will let you adjust how much the movie takes up on a DVD disc, adjust the estimated file size if it is too large with the down arrow button.

Click next. If the file is still too large an info box will appear warning you of this and whether you want to continue or not... If this happens click No and adjust the file size option some more until it fits... Use the blue bar at the bottom as a guide.

You can also use the 'Make File Size' down arrow button to reduce the capacity the movie will take up if its VERY large!

Don't lower it more than you need to as this may reduce quality.

The next screen lets you choose an output filename for the movie you are about to create... Choose one, check the Start Encoding Immediatley box and then click OK... And away you go... You've converted the NTSC avi to PAL.

Any questions just post back!

reedy.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  3. godzbogz

godzbogz Guest

Cheers Reedy...

the problem i'm having now is that the ac3 sound thats a part of the avi file is not appearing when i burn the dvd. ie - movie that plays in colour etc, but no sound.
    when i play the original in winmedia, its fine. sound and picture.
    When it burns though, as i said, no sound. All i'm getting are beer mats!

Thanks for the help in advance m8.

4. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Just a quick reply as i'm just heading for bed, but when you say - when it burns, what format are you burning it to and have you already split the sound from the video???

If you have successfully split the audio and tested it and it works - the problem must be a setting you are missing when encoding the VOB files... sorry about the short and messy reply - will look it into more later for ya m8...

reedy.

5. mjjk

mjjk Member

The fact is TMPEG cannot use AC3 as it does not support AC3 filters. What you gotta do if you got an AC3 video (AVI) is you gotta demux the AC3 out of the AVI (by NanDUB or VirtualDUB for instance) and then use AC3toMP3 or AC3toWAV or anything like that (I use lame), then load in the video file (TMPEG counts it as no-audio picture-only file if it meets an AC3 avi file), and load in onto the underneath column the newly crated MP3 or WAV, then proceed.