1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by arqed, Dec 6, 2007.

1. arqed

arqed Member

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

members who play crysis would recommend a nVidia 8800gt or ATi HD3870 graphics card. also, you'd need to change the psu unit to a higher watt unit; factory units can't handle the power of the new graphics card, motherboard, and components. a psu like THIS one will handle everything.

3. arqed

arqed Member

Wow, I think I chose a big game to start. I did not know about the psu. My budget to improve the computer is just 250. I might have to wait a little bit more. Thanks for the recommendation.

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

no problem. i haven't played crysis myself, but it requires the latest components to be played at the best settings. the psu should be the first to be upgraded because you don't want to damage your computer.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I'm honest, with a prebuilt PC I'd forget about being able to play Crysis well without ripping out pretty much every component in the entire system. While the CPU and RAM will be sufficient to play the game, you'll need a high powered graphics card, which in turn will not only need a far better power supply than the one in the PC currently, but will also need decent case ventilation, which prebuilt units typically haven't got.
    The estimated budget to get that PC up to scratch to play Crysis well would be about $400, and it would take a lot of work, you'd basically be building your own PC.

6. arqed

arqed Member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I really couldn't say to be honest. I'd say it's unlikely to but I can't guarantee it. Seriously, get a decent PSU for your system, and then buy a graphics card with the money you have left. Never skimp on a power supply.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well that card is pretty weak, and wont be able to play even the older games such as Battlefield 2 with decent settings.

If you want to play Crysis, as sam said, you would need a new PSU to house your graphics card, and a new gpu. You were right, you picked a big game to start with.

Also, if you do really want to follow through on this without buying a new PC, you would need to have a duel core processor and 2GB of ram, so you wont bottleneck your graphics card.

The Ati 3870, or even the 3850 are really good buys right now, best bang for the buck. The 8800GT is also up there, with a slight performance boost in games but less picture quality.

9. arqed

arqed Member

I see the best thing to do is start for the PSU. My concern again after that is the size of the case, is just a few low profile cards to choose.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

I never expect to get answers so quick. That is cool.
    Thanks again.

10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well just by looking at the case, I think a 8800GT or a 3850 could fit in there. They arent as big as the 8800GTXs or GTS, so you could have some luck.

I looked at all the other specs, and you look to be fine. Just get a new PSU from Atec, OCZ, Corsair, Galaxy, ABS or Thermaltake and you should be fine to upgrade.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Who are Galaxy and ABS? never heard of them...

12. arqed

arqed Member

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed it is. Your PC only has half-height graphics card slots, in which case you're stuffed. There isn't a graphics card that'll fit in a half-width slot that can play Crysis properly. At all. Sorry about that!

14. arqed

arqed Member

I see it. For know I think I will pick and other game. Later on I’ll get a decent computer to play crysis i really like that game.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally think Crysis is heavily over-rated. It's quite an enjoyable game, but it doesn't look very good. I'm serious, even on high, the shadows look terrible. The game is only so demanding because the engine is retarded. You don't render leaves as separate textures for crying out loud!

16. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well the Enermax Galaxy...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001400&Description=galaxy&name=Enermax

And ABS is the company that stresses PSUs in the USA to find the breaking point, and test if they're worthy enough. So I bet a PSU made by the company that has such high expectations would be a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=40000058&Description=ABS&name=Power+Supplies

Every one of their products has a 4 star rating or higher.

17. arqed

arqed Member

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Wow, that is the cheapest PSU I have ever seen! Even 1000 watt PSUs are shorter than that! And only 350 watts? What kind of a server do they think that will power???

19. arqed

arqed Member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, well that's quite a good power supply as micro form factor ones go. To be honest, that'll power pretty much any graphics card that'll fit your case. Shame no decent graphics card will fit your case eh?