1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by arqed, Dec 6, 2007.

1. sclocker

sclocker Member

Hey i have a 6150 se in my pc and i put in a geforce 8600gts superclocked $180 and overclocked it to 720 and i can play crysis on medium setting, very happy

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, the 8600GTS isn't a bad card. $180CA isn't too bad a price either.

3. arqed

arqed Member

sclocker and sammorris my computer is the hp slimline as i show on the link. the case is less then 4" width

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I said before, unfortunately that means you won't be able to play Crysis well at all. I'd give up and either look for a better PC, or move your PC's components into a full size case.

5. tvance929

tvance929 Member

First of all, I want to tell you all how MUCH this post has helped me and my Nightmare that I have so far had with the s3220n slimline.

But because of this post I can see the light again!

Let me tell you what I did (briefly) -- I immediately noticed how slow the onboard card was so I purchase a decent card from Tiger -- but the heat sink went over the back of the card and therefore wouldnt go into the case because it slammed into the DVD drive.

OH ya, I also had to spend an extra $10 for a low profile bracket & $7 for a DVI to VGA converter because for SOME reason ALL cards now have the DVI at the bottom of the card!

SO JUST to get a card to work in this system, I have to spend $17.00.

So I sent that card back and ordered a DIFFERENT card through tiger without the big heatsink... however IT HAD A BIG FAN! (GeForce 6500) and when I went to install it it broke a PIECE off of my TV TUNER CARD!!! ARGH!!! I loved watching TV on this system!

Anyway, I thought, well I will have good graphics even though my TV is gone now.... so I powered the system up...

Can you guess what happened next??? NOTHING!!! The Power Supply is not strong enough! Hahahahahah a (banging head against wall)........

So I am sending this card and adapter back, trying to superglue my piece back onto the back of my TV Tuner and trying to get my computer back to the way it was.

If I can just get this nightmare back to square one, I will be happy.

And I think I will wait awhile before I try and upgrade this ridiculously small and difficult system. *** Such a shame because the processor and ram and hdd are all so nice ***

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's a simple case of 'do the research' really I'm afraid. Some full size PCs are just as tough to upgrade unfortunately. Never buy a prebuilt PC and just expect to upgrade it. If you buy a PC with upgrading in mind you may as well build it from scratch and do it right the first time.

7. koo73

koo73 Member

i'm getting a comp. with an nvidia 6150 se graphix card in it. I have a geforce fx 5700 ve 256mb ddr in my other comp. should i take the 5700 out and put it in the new comp.? i won't be buying a new g-card for a long time. thanks.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You shouldn't buy the PC with the 6150se in it, full stop. It's useless.
    The FX5700 you have is probably AGP and therefore won't fit in the new PC. If you're buying a premade PC, get one with a proper graphics card in it to start with. You will run into too many problems down the line otherwise - insufficient cooling, weak power supply, and so on and so on. PCs with decent graphics cards will seem expensive (which is why people build their own) but if you weigh up the fact you may have to buy a new case, almost entirely rebuild the PC in the new case and buy a new power supply, suddenly getting a decent PC to start with seems the better deal.

9. koo73

koo73 Member

this one only costs $700 and has a tv tuner. i won't be using it for hard core gaming. mainly internet surfing and occasional gaming. i use to play EQ 2 and my graphix card i have now rocks it out with no lag an i didn't even tweek it. would the 6150 run EQ 1 decent? was thinking on switching back some day possibly. i do most my gaming on my wii.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 6150Se is slower than the FX5700, I'm not sure by how much though.
    Additionally, it can't play any modern PC game, pretty much full stop, at all. It's just too slow, you should seriously consider that. If there's ANY pc game that comes out soon you may want to play, the 6150se will probably cause issues.

11. koo73

koo73 Member

thanks a lot. i just got the comp. today and am using it now. the graphics suck compaired to my 5700 fx. and i havn't even started playing any games. just by surfing the net words arn't clear and colors aren't in perspective like they should be. the comp. i got was the HP slimline pc s3220n. it has a 19 lcd monitor as well. it says it is upgradeable for memory and has a slot for pci express video. what would be a decent video card to get either one will do nvidia or ati for my new comp.? i do a lot of ebaying and found some decent priced ones there. thanks.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you want to make the words clearer then enable Cleartype.

Also can a mod close this thread or just make all the posts say that the 6150 just plain sucks.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Read back to my previous post, you will always encounter problems trying to upgrade a prebuilt PC, cooling and power requirements. You will almost certainly need to upgrade the power supply and potentially the case too. You chose to disregard our advice, you'll have to deal with the consequences mate, sorry.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

IF you do want to get a decent enough vidoe card then get a decent Corsair VX-550 powersupply and get yourself a HD 3850 or 3870.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If he's bought a PC with a 6150, chances are that upgrade alone will be half as much as the PC cost, plus consider that the 3850 will probably overheat inside the crummy case it came in.

16. koo73

koo73 Member

but wat iam saing is i don't need inrdible graphix. just decent, better than what i got. like possibly a geforce 8400 gs or a 7300 or even a 7200. possibly a few steps higher.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are plenty of PCs on sale that come with mediocre cards like the 8400GS, why didn't you buy one of those instead to save yourself the trouble?

18. sclocker

sclocker Member

I have a hp m8100n media center with a 6150e motherboard ,the graphics were slow ,but I put in an 8600gts superclocked, and overclocked it to 720 mgz and now it runs crysis on medium and battlefield 2142 on high and im still running 350w power supply ,should be a 400 but 350 still works,my gpu temp is 63 idle and 79 wile gameing,alot of people you cant run crysis without a 8800gt, thats bull,the 8600gts superclocked is much cheaper.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The superclocked 8600GTS is still really poor value for money.
    For almost the same money you can buy an HD3850 which is much faster.
    You can run crysis on a card well below an 8800GT (case in point my X1900XT) but only on low settings, and because the game looks crap even at max settings (irrespective of the frame rate) it being on low makes it look even worse.
    I ran the game at 2560x1600 all high for a laugh, and even ignoring the 3fps I got, the game still looked rubbish - the shadows are terrible, and some of the background textures are absolutely dire.
    Crysis should never be used as a benchmark for PC performance, it's hardware requirements are unlike any other game, and despite the plot (which may be good, I wouldn't know, I got bored of playing the game in a postage stamp-sized window) it isn't a fair reflection of how good graphics cards can perform. Properly made games such as COD4 are what you should bench games on, because the requirements, while high, are realistic.

20. sclocker

sclocker Member

I totally agree about crysis I also thought the hype was better than the game ,and also got bored,I use crysis as a benchmark because if you can play crysis you can play any game out there.