1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sssshhh, language!!
    PS3.0 is Pixel Shader 3, a new graphics rendering method that gives better performance i think.

Note: a jewel in nvidia's crown is the fact that x800 xts arent actually on sale at the moment. They're sold in batches for some reason, and the next one hits us in about 3 weeks time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. otester

otester Guest

i dont live in china , i live in britain (you do the math)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]oli[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2004
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah but still, u'll get toasted by a mod for swearing in a forum!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's something your X800XT doesn't, and never will, have :)

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hmm... let's have a stroll through memory lane

And my personal favorites

6. otester

otester Guest

I like looking at my past, its so funny (not so much in a good way)!

ATi = Better Value for money and a lot...lot cheaper!

Nvidia = 6800 (i would get it, but tooooooooo expensive) , FX series was shit, GF4 was ok but now aging.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heehee, the 6800 is no more expensive than the stealth
    X800XT, but it is very inefficient and is quite noisy to my recollection.

8. otester

otester Guest

when i said the 6800 was expensive, i ment a decent 1!

9. buxton

buxton Regular member

@Praetor

Now the wierd thing is, how come the 9700 was paired up against the Ti4600 (both in terms of price and chronologically) ... or was the 9700 and the 9700Pro two completely different things?

Not sure - that is going back 18 months or more - I don't remember if the original 9700 was a DX8.1 or DX9 - are you thinking of the 9500?

I think the 9700 came out some time before the 5800 so the 4600 would have been the only nVidia cards to compare it too. I honestly can't remember.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.

ABIT NF7 v2.0
    AMD Thoroughbred 1800XP@2.2Ghz
    CorsairXMS-PC3200-2x256Mb
    ATI 9800Pro-128Mb
    Pioneer106-DVDRW[/small]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  10. Xian

Xian Regular member

Finally another ATI driver update for Linux, but still many problems. At least this time the driver is not in RPM only, unlike the last update in March, which took nearly a year for them to deliver after being promised in 2003. It still requires a kernel recompile as shown in the how to at http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/
    In contrast, the Nvidia drivers install in minutes with a GPL'ed installation program.

The forums at rage3d are full of people complaining about performance issues - in some cases a 9700 is detected as a 9500 cutting the number of rendering pipelines in half. FSAA is still problematic in the latest drivers.

As I said months ago on the first thread of this topic, ATI is not a very good choice unless you only run Windows. While both Nvidia and ATI make good hardware, Nvidia wins hands down in driver coding, especially in alternate OSes and in my opinion, the Windows drivers are more stable too. I do not have a current ATI board because of the lack of alternate OS support. I have had a ATI Mach 32 (which also had lots of driver issues), the original All in Wonder, and a Radeon 7000 in the past. With Linux approaching a noticeable amount of market share and having a very vocal community that will not hesitate to tell the world about issues with ATI hardware, it seems to me very bad business sense to not hire a couple coders to make some decent Linux drivers instead of the problematic attempts made currently.

11. Praetor

I just have to ask.... where do you read the stuff you read (im assuming you're reading or listening or watching something because quite frankly, for someone -- who's not a 5 year old (and is old enough to drive at that) -- you make very VERY solid impactful statements which have very serious flaws in them. You seem to have a grasp of some concepts but im guessing you're not reading the articles through -- or the articles are horribly flawed and/or you're not applying comon sense because simply for you to make a comment like "ATI is the best, nVidia blows" or something like that and then on the flipside, "WTF is PS3" and "You can make a video card 'generate' more pipelines" -- you simply dont know wtf ur talking about do you?? Because you're in some serious need of tutelage:

ATi = Better Value for money and a lot...lot cheaper!
    Last Generation
    - The best value/performance card they have is the 9800Pro (and maybe the 9600Pro, ill cover both).
    - The 9800Pro is in the 220USD ballpark. The 9600Pro is in thr 150USD ballpark, the 9600XT significantly more. Someone please correct me if im horribly wrong on the prices
    - The best value/performance card nVidia has is the 5900XT. It weighs in a 175USD
    - The 5900XT is, in damn near every respect, an equal match for the 9800Pro and for $15 more than the 9600 series, well worth the investment.

Current Generation
    - The best money/perf card ATi has is probably the X800Pro (baseline), if anyone's got a better idea, let's hear it.
    - The best money/perf card nVidia has is probably the 6800GT and regardless of how your biases go, the 6800GT is a better deal handsdown.
    - Hell even the baseline 6800 weighing in at $280USD will dominate the 9800Pro and cost only $60 more.

Nvidia = 6800 (i would get it, but tooooooooo expensive) , FX series was shit, GF4 was ok but now aging.
    Ive been thoroughly convinced you dont know jack about what ur talking about but its just funny to note:
    1. For a guy who's parents are gonna buy him everything, I dont see money as being a concern even though the 6800 as you note, is cheaper than the X800 by a factor of 2-1; again somebody correct me if my economics are off
    2. Even if your parents arent paying for everything, for someone who said they were gonna get the latest and greatest for HL2, I dont see why the very affordable 6800 (compared in a performance/price manner) is a problem
    3. If you think the FX series was shit and the GF4 was ok and you're not dumb enough to compare between classes of cards then you really need to go tell whoever is feeding you this information to screw off and go learn a thing or two.

Dead positive, the cards of the series at the time were the 9000, 9500 and 9700. They were all DX8.1 cards. Whether they still are is something for the ATI-peeps to tell me :)

- Mostly correct, the Ti4600 came out and stomped on everything for about 6 months and come March 2003, the 9700 came out and was the first card to begin to test the 4600 as the dominant player on the market. The 4600 and 9700 were mostly on par winning and losing some benchmarks each although I think the 9700 had the edge.
    - Come May (or June), the 9800 came out and stomped all over everything. The 5800 was released (most likely as a stopgate than anything) to deal with it and it was by far and large a superior card but crippled by a 128bit memory interface and thus ended up losing out. The 5900 corrected that flaw.

Shit I guess im lucky the Linux box I have is running a Rage128 ... slow enough that even crappy drivers cant make it any slower :p

Agreed, whereas nVidia drivers add more performance and features to their cards, ATI drivers add more stability :p

12. otester

otester Guest

i would rather have a card which is very stable than a card which is sooooooooooooo fast the pc restarts every 10 seconds.

13. Praetor

No video card on the planet has ever caused a computer to restart because it was "so fast" -- but then again if nVidia is so slow and as you say, "they're shit" ... why go buy ATI if they're so fast cuz that will just cause your computer to restart?

14. otester

otester Guest

that was an example!

its the other way round actually, ATi are the most stablist and nvidia isnt as stable!

15. Praetor

An example of what???

I see you missed the subtlety (sorry I keep remembering you saying you're not a 5 year old and make assumptions). If ATi is more stable then by your own arguement it's a slower card but then you've been known to say that ATI cards are so much faster .... there, not so subtle.

16. navi95

navi95 Regular member

hey ppl, need sum help with a graphics card. I want to buy a new one (currently have a GeForce FX 5200 which came with my pc which i bought last year) and dont mind which brand. I have roughly £200 to spend and am running the following:

Windows XP Pro SP2
    Athlon XP 2600+
    1 Gig RAM PC2700
    240GB

Any replies would b great, thanx.

17. Praetor

You're best bet is to grab something like the GeForce6800 and then use the extra $100USD leftover somewhere else :)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, despite its scarcity, ive ordered an X800XT, and hopefully when the next batch arrives mine will get delivered. If not, who knows how long i'll have to wait...

My PC is running a bit hot as it is, and i'm sure that with a card that requires a 480W PSU lots of heat will be generated. It may not stay with the card due to the fan, but its either going to heat up the case or heat up me. Not something i want, my room is hot enough already.

In my case, as long as ATi's drivers work adequately for windows, i don't really mind. Besides, the x800xt is only beaten on performance by a reasonable margin in Doom 3, one single game.

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

you will get a hell of an improvement with 400 memory, I would recommend kingston, corsair etc. this would compliment your 6800 really rather well!

20. Praetor

In case anyone was confused (like me :p) that was a reply to two threads above :)

But sersiously, PC2700 can OC to CP3200 no sweat :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.