1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otester

otester Guest

so what i heard on the internet was bolucs about getting more pipelines.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well just stop and think about it dude .... a video card is a electro-mechanical device -- it comes with whatever it comes with. You can't make it grow more pipelines (because its not biological) and you cant make it think it has more pipelines (because its not sentient). What you heard was abou the 9500 to the 9700

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The main thing is that whether you prefer nVidia or ATI you should be glad the other is around. It's competition that makes both companies keep adding features as fast as possible and lowering prices on a regular basis. It's just like the CPU wars. If it wasn't for AMD figuring out how to make good processors we'd still have to pay $500 for an outdated Intel CPU like we did before the K6-2.

4. Praetor

Oh so very true.... sometimes it boggles me that people go out and spend $500+ just to get into pissing contests instead of enjoying their fine card ... then there are the morons who complain/criticize or otherwise get involved in pissing contests whent hey dont even have the card to start with .... sigh :p

Competition is good! :)

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Exactly. If I dropped that kind of money on a card, I'd spend every free moment using it. If you don't like one or the other don't buy it, but don't tell me what I should like unless you planning on buying the card for me.

6. otester

otester Guest

Im not in this for competition or any other crap like that. i just want a card that runs smothly, nice graphics and overall, exelliant. My Dads old 128MB GeForce 4 Ti4200 beat my 256MB GeForce FX5600XT. Can you explain that?

7. Praetor

A video card doesnt mean much without the rest of the computer -- a more highly tuned system can easily overcome the superior graphics card.

8. otester

otester Guest

this was in benchmarks. and i used the same system

9. Praetor

1. Benchmarks are seriously overrated lol
    2. By "same system" do you mean, "clean format and retweak, customizing for the new graphics card" or "swap the video card and reboot". Big difference.

10. otester

otester Guest

i sawpped the video card around. even without benchmarking the cards you can still see a big differance.

11. Praetor

Well there you have it! :) Tweaked settings for specific vid cards will definitely give one card an edge over another. Either that or you didnt setup the second video card after you installed it. With major subsystem components like vid cards, you're prolly best off doing an absolute clean uninstall, reinstall and tweak (ideally a reformat, but for some people that's a lot to ask-for for just a vidcard change).

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you used a DX9 game for the comparison, that may explain it. The Ti4200 doesn't support DX9 so it would've run the game in DX8 whereas the 5600 supports DX9 but was a dog at it so the 4200 would've had a much easier time of it running the game in the less demanding DX8.

13. Praetor

Good call... I knew i was missing something absolutely pivitol like that ... hehe

14. otester

otester Guest

I have also heard that the FX5600XT supports DX9, but infact it actually runs at DX8.1 and the radeon do work fully at DX9

15. otester

otester Guest

Now that i have been bothered to look at the full spec of my old G-Card, its actually a Quadro 4 XGL, but the processor is a GeForce 4 Ti4200

16. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Need some advice and pointed in the right direction as far to what video card to purchase. I have an HP computer that I bought new in Feb, 2003. I have 384MB DDR 2100 Memory and obviously no video card, just the intergrated crap it came with. I do have an AGP slot. I play the game Diablo 2 with this machine and it doesn't do to bad, every once in awhile the game might freeze for a brief moment and then it clears up, not really a big deal, doesn't do it all the time. I know I need a video card though for future games and just performace value. I don't know much about video cards, I just know I want to find something $99 or less with 128mb or maybe more? Could someone recommend a decent card? I have checked out many on TigerDirect.com I have seen alot of choices, Chain Tech Gforce Cards, ATI Saffire cards. What would be a good choice for a cheap card? like I said I want to spend $99 or less. I'm not looking for top of the line, or something to brag about to my friends, just something to play newer games smoothly and something that kics the @ss of my intergrated video. Bassically I need something that is good enough and affordable. I heard rumors from People over the last couple years that Nivida make the best cheap(affordable card) and ATI make the better top of the line(expensive)card. I don't know how much truth is in that. Could you guys just name some video cards that would be good for what I need in my price range?

17. otester

otester Guest

ATI have the best reviews, Radeon Rule and the GFX series has been nick named the 'flop'. Check out Ebuyer.com for good prices on video cards.

The ATI 9600SE looks ok, the US side of Ebuyer looks really crap

18. JSRife

JSRife Guest

So go with the ATI 9600SE card? Is their any Nivida cards comparable to that card for around the same price? You are right that is a good price for that card, I saw a ATI 9200 card at Circuit City for $99 which the 9600 card is only a little more and the model number is a few numbers higher.

19. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Looks like Ebuyer might be the way to go. I liked Tiger direct, but that got all these bullcrap rebates and 100 different versions of the same card and the prices are all over the place. It's easy for a newbie to get confused.

20. otester

otester Guest

if you get confused dont hesitate to ask us questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.