1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john179

john179 Active member

ATI is a far better card than the G force cards.I remenber the last G force card i had it had to have a xp update added to it and it never really performed that well on xp.After 2 G force cards i took the plunge when building a new pc and went on advise from others and bought an ATI.Result totally awsome card's compared to the G force and i would recomend to anyone.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

All biases aside, one cant really say ATI is soooooo much better than nVidia or nVidia is sooooooo much better than ATi simply because, when comparing equally classed cards, both companies make exceptional products and it's really those out there who want to get into pissing contests that make such a big deal of it :)

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll post this again :)

4. otester

otester Guest

Chevy kicks fords arse because i have a ford focus and its shit. I have had 2 GForce cards and they've been shit 2.

5. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Aren't all Video Cards suppose to perform? I mean you have some cards that cost $50 and others that cost $300, but don't they both bassically work the same way? If their is a Video game that says they recommend at least 64mb Video card to run their game, won't any cheapo video card 64mb or more run the game just fine? You go out and spend $200+ on a video card, is it really doing anything that a $100+ Video card can't already handle? What is better an ATI Pro card with 64mb of memory VS lets say a cheapo 256mb Card? No expert , I'm guessing the 256mb card is more advanced just for the simple fact it has 4 times the memory than the 64mb card. Someone made a comment about Sapphire cards being the worst choice to pick with the ATI name on it. What makes the sapphire cards bad? do they not work properly? When you play a newer advanced game, does it not make the game run smooth and crisp? it's a video card isn't it? it was made to work and perform and do what a video card does right? No expert like I said, but I don't see Sapphire sucking all that bad, they make a crap load of cards ranging in price. To me a 128mb is a 128mb card, maybe it won't have certain features on it like Dual DVI or whatever, or other features. I don't see why it wouldn't run any game like a champ though. If you see someone playing a game on their computer, can you tell what kind of video card they have in their machine by looking at the game and how it runs? I doubt that. Anyway the games they make for PC are only as good as the game makers make them. Any 128mb Video card should be able to max out the beauty of the game and how it is suppose to run. To me it's all about memory, if you have plenty of memory you are doing good.

6. otester

otester Guest

i see what you are saying but the more expensive g-card is usually better in ati's case. EG: an X800 playing Far Cry compared to a Radeon 7000 playing the same game, come on you know the answer to that (der). Eg: a radeon 9200 against a 9800, the 9800 is better, get the idea. they wouldnt make newer gcards if they werent supposed to be better.

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well, that's a bit of an over-simplification :)
    The chip is the biggest factor, just like a PC it's your CPU not just how much memory your CPU has to work with.
    The vid boards each have their generation of chip and architecture, then their memory speed. The clockrate of the memory (and the chip) are more important to the overall performance than is the quantity of memory.
    The hardware ie. the # of shaders /pixel pipelines etc. are like V8 Chevy vs. I4 Ford or vice versa; they might both have 128MB buffer memory.
    Here is some good info:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
    Well no! Actually rather the reverse is true...
    Go to Tom's Hardware and learn about the design of all the different recent generations of vid boards (you can compare Ford & Chevy in great detail!)
    L8R

8. Praetor

Let's not let this thread devolve into pointless and unsubstantiated pissing contest. I know I wont let it.

Like I said about unsubstantiated, anyone can say the equivalent: "I've had 2 ATI cards and they've sucked ass" too or even say a bit more without actually saying anything at all: "I've had 2 ATi cards and they were unstabled as hell". If one is going to get knee deep into pissing contests, let's make sure at least its a substantiated one.

Yes but there are different degrees to which they perform. Using cars as an example, all cars are supposed to get you from A to B but consider the Ferrari F50 and a Ford Focus, some cars will do so much faster. The same kind of hierarchy applies to video cards but perhaps a little more so: with cars, almost any car can drive on the highway (safety and other concerns aside), but with video cards, only certain qualified cards can play certain video games and some cards cant play certain video games.

It's not as simple as just the amount of memory however in most cases, a 256MB card will have a more advanced chip on it and cater to more premium users. I dont know the ATI equivalent or if one exists (Nephilim?), but with nVidia, consider the GeForceFX5200: it's a budget card and offers quite the performance for its price class however it is far behind the performance of its bigger brothers. So what does nVidia (rather the OEMs) try and do? They try and squeeze as much performance into the card and yet still keep it in the budget category. This is done by loading it up with 256MB of memory. Memory is cheap compared to a more advanced video chip. The total cost difference between the 128MB and 256MB versions of the GFX5200 is usually less than $20 and the 256MB performs ever so slightly better. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that the 256MB vs 128MB argument only works if you compare betweeen the same video cards: a lot of people may suggest that a 256MB GeForceFX5200 will outperform a 128MB GeForceFX5700 but that is wrong.

1. With the exception of the GeForceFX5200 (and ATI's 256MB equivalent), there are no "cheapo" 256MB video cards

Sapphire is the budget arm of ATI. Their cards are usually cheaper and perform slightly worse than stock ATI cards.

A video card is designed and required to do one thing: display 16 colours at 640x480 -- hardly optimal gaming there. Like my analogy with cars and highways, not all video cards can play them: consider FarCry and UT2004 for instance: with a performance oriented card (or even midrange) card, you can get good to excellent results playing however, try to play using a budget orient card and you may find that the game may not start and if it does, it runs horribly slow or, in order to improve the performance, you have to drop the quality level.

They do make cards ranging in all price ranged HOWEVER if you compare those cards made by Sapphire for a specific price bracket with, say, the stock ATI equivalent, you will notice the performance will be a tad less. Probably not horribly so (which is why Sapphire is so successful) but if you are looking for bragging rights, Sapphire wouldnt be the way to go.

I think Ive made the distinction clear for you about the different categories of video cards but to be honest what you are essentially saying is that "any car that is red is like this Ferrari that is red" and you and I both know that isnt the case.

To a degree yes. Hell if you spend enough time around computer hardware (especially from a more sale/retail oriented perspective), you may even be able to pin down the exact model and specifications of the card (based on trends and buying-personality). For instance: you can run UT2004 using an antiquated GeForce3Ti500 -- you can even run it at 1024x768 with the settings ramped to max. This however will results in very poor framerates (a measure of how 'smooth' a game looks when you are playing, the higher the better). I would think the framerate would be in the 10-20fps range using those settings. Now consider a GeForceFX5700, using those same settings, the framerates will probably be in the 40-60fps range. An eye-noticeable difference. Naturally there is a limit to which the eye will be able to estimate framerates and detect lag however this test is only really effective when you run the game at the maximum threshold of the card (i used an obvious example above to accentuate a point).

And most of those makers are quite competent programmers. Furthermore, in many cases (especially with RPG and FPS genres), games will license graphics engines from one or two major companies -- these companies have spent tons of time refining their graphics engine and as such, one can kinda say, "cutting edge graphics engines are in almost all major titles"

Consider the car example: "any red car should be able to drive at a speed that satisfies anyone" -- obviously not true. You'd be hard pressed to get a Radeon9800/GFX5950 with 128MB to run UT2004 at 2048x1536 with detail settings ramped to max ---- very difficult to the point of infeasible.

Like I said, Red Car A not neccessarily the same performer as Red Car B.

Well no crap -- they have to justify charging $500+ for a chunk of silicon, plastic, aluminum, copper and PCB somehow. That's like saying a Ferrari is faster than a Focus. And If you didnt realize it (after owning two GeForce cards), it applies to nVidia too .... oh and get this.. this is going to blow your mind: it's true virtually everywhere in life (gasp). It's what drives most economies.

Oh for crying out loud, NO SHIT. The X800 is current bleeding edge technology while the Radeon 7000 was circa 2000 -- four years ago. The Radeon9200 is a budget oriented card and the Radeon9800 was designed to be a performance at any cost card. That's like saying a current Ferrari F50 is faster than .... a ten year Honda Civic.

I get the idea that you've got your biases and I fully respect that. What I dont get is that your biases are wholly unsubstantiated --- other than "they sucked" or "ATI is just better". So like I said, I'll let this turn into a pissing contest but let's not make it an unsubstantated pissing contest: if you're gonna take a stand, be prepared to back it up.

Since you're and ATI guy I'll fill you in on something: consider the Radeon9700 and the Radeon9200SE. Obviously I can't compare those two because the cards fit into different roles

JSRife
    Leave the pissing contests to (a) rich people and (b) people who dont actually have the cards but want to talk about the cards as if they did. If you're looking for a video card but dont want to break your budget, any midrange video card (Radeon9600/GFX5700) should be good enough for you.

EDIT:
    Ok so you do see my point hee hee :) You cant go around complaining that ATI/nVidia cards suck when you are comparing a bleeding edge card to one that is 4 generations old. Just as the comparison of "Car A" to "Car B" makes absolutely no sense, a comparison of "Radeon9800" to "Radeon 7000" makes no sense -- just because they are both video cards doesnt mean they are worth comparing -- sure you can compare them but you're not going to get anything useful out of it.

Dont put too much faith into Tom's Hardware though .... with their review of the 6800 when they compared it with the current 9800 card, they used a Sapphire card -- not that noticeable of a difference but still a biased (and low) approach.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  9. otester

otester Guest

that took a long time to read. ATI still kick Nvidia's arse, no shit. But which ATI card is best, sapphire, hightech, creative or something else.

10. Praetor

That's just my point about completely unsubstiated claims. If you're going to get into or start a pissing contest, at least back up what you are saying. As I've said before, neither ATI nor nVidia is kicking the other's arse. Both companies offer superb cards. Now if you've got something useful to say regarding ATI or nVidia, by all means, let's hear it but lets hear something more intellectually stimulating than "it sucks" ... there's a term for talking about something without backing it up.... i cant quite remember what that was.....

11. otester

otester Guest

ok then you want proof. i got given a an ATI Rage 128 Pro 16MB from someone and a an Nvidia MX440 32MB and the ATI rocks the NVIADIA one is slow and jogs alot on JK2 did the same thing but used the ATI one and there was a little jogging but it was surtainly better than NVIDIA card. you wanted proof so you got it.

12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

oli- I bet they both play Doom2 real good. ;)
    NVidia basically developed the first 'modern' vid board with the GeForce256 DDR, circa 2000.
    (It will still keep up with some newer GeForceMX models)
    Again, I offer that THG link as a newbie-friendly intro into vid board design and engineering.
    Sapphire boards use the ATI reference chipsets but are mfg in Taiwan not Canada, on proprietary (Sapphire) circuit boards. Hopefully they achieve their cost savings through being in The Republic of China and not by cheapifying the actual PCB... so in theory actual performance spec's between the same model ATI-label vs. Sapphire-label should be insignificant or traced to lower-spec memory.
    It would seem that the $20 bucks saving on the Sapphire might be offset by your worries about longevity/reliability/cooling solution/memory chips used/physical quality of PCB and assembly etc.
    3dfx used to only sell their chips to others to mfg the finished product, then they started making their own.
    ATI used to only make their own, just recently making their chips avail to others to mfg so there is choice.
    NVidia only makes the chips, others (like Asus) making the retail product.
    I have used many Sapphire boards, never had prob.
    The overall quality, assembly, packaging etc seem good.
    I used ATI boards in the 1980s when the little startup on Victoria Park Avenue in Toronto was the worldwide state-of-the-art! (They used to convert EGA graphics to different textures, visible on monochrome monitor - I know, unbelievable right? but true)
    THG is not for Praetor but Jason and Oli could advance their knowledge (and thus their arguments) immeasurably.
    Gotta go (USGP)

13. otester

otester Guest

Interesting, but i bet you'll never believe this...i never played any of the Doom series!

14. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Probably not a single game out right now that a standard Nvidia 5200 couldn't play just perfect. I agree times progress and leave the old hardware behind. Video Cards are like Computers, after awhile you won't see them on the shelves anymore. For example I bought my computer back in Feb of 2003, the computer came out in Nov, 2002. They no longer carry this model of computer, times have changed. You won't go into Best Buy or circuit city and be able to buy a Video card from lets say 1998, it's done and over with. Pretty much what the stores keep on the shelves at the present time as far as Video cards go are all up to date. You won't go to Best Buy and find a 32mb video card. The 64mb Chips are dying out also, Soon it will be only 128 and 256 chips, then what? 256 and 512 chips and so on. I'm not getting in my Time machine going back to 10 years ago buying a video card and coming back to present time and asking if this video card I bought will run the newest latest game. People say this and that card are back from the year 2000, lets say an ATI 9000 Card. Do you honestly think the ATI 9000 card from then is exactly the same as a ATI 9000 card you would buy today? Is a Mustang GT from 1995 the same as a Mustang GT from 2004? they are totally different cars , but it's still considered the same car, because it has the same name. Original ATI 9000 Video card from back when it was made, and a ATI 9000 card you would find today would probably be different. What would be the point of making outdated video cards? What would be the point of making an outdated computer? I do believe they still make crappy video cards to support People that still do have the older model computers, but overall those video cards have to up to date for newer computers. As far as running DOOM 2 , My computer now would run that perfect, and I have intergrated graphics on my machine, so i'm hoping any 128mb Video card would be able to run that game perfect, Most likely the 128mb video card is going to run any game out at the present time. That is what it is designed to do run games. It doesn't take an ATI 9800 Pro to run a game good. I hear all the hype about the ATI 9800 pro card, never hear anything about a PNY Quadro fx3000 Video card, they cost around $1,499.99 if People are going to argue what is the best, why not talk about the best.

15. JSRife

JSRife Guest

The Quadro FX3000 is a Workstation card I know. Everyone seems to want to overkill it, so why not just get it right? I mean you gotta have at least a Nvidia 5950 Ultra or ATI 9800 Pro to run any new game these days right? The way you talk if you have anything less than a ATI 9600 Pro you aren't running anything , but DOOM 2....LOL

16. JSRife

JSRife Guest

The way everyone makes it sound is. Their are maybe 4-5 different Video cards that are worthy and the rest suck and won't run a game worth a crap(Newer game). That is crap, any card that won't run newer games is a Video card they took off the shelves a long time ago, unless you got a really old computer and just wanna fool yourself, then you can special order something crappy off the net. I go into best buy alot, and I bet every single Video card they carry at this present time, is a good video card. Sure you can always spend more and get much better. You can buy a Dodge Neon or you can buy a Lexus, but both are going to do the same basic thing, get you to where you are going, just like a Video card from now, both are going to run the game just fine. It doesn't say on the back of the box (The game) you will need at least an ATI 9600PRO or Nvidia 5700 to play this game. It will say you need at least 64mb Video card recommended or 32mb Min. That's it.

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Keep in mind that the manufacturers are very generous with their minimum requirements. Do you always believe manufacturer's claims with any product?

Sure you can run the any given game with the minimum requirements but you're going to have to compromise image quality and speed ina huge way to do so.

What I and Praetor are talking about and what you are talking about are two very different things.

We are discussing cards with enough horsepower to run ther newer games at a decent framerate with respecable visual quality.

What you are talking about is simply getting games to run.

18. JSRife

JSRife Guest

The thing I don't like about it is. I mean a top performer video card is costing you some bucks. An ATI 9800Pro 128mb is costing around $249.00 maybe you can get it cheaper, thats the price I saw at Circuit City a few days ago. Priced a Nvidia 5950 Ultra, can't remember the memory 256? but anyway that bad boy is costing around $400 I believe. Don't know what the ATI 9800Pro 256mb is going for?? they are always sold out on the shelves at Best Buy. I just think some of these cards are a little pricey for just playing video games. I don't see how People blow that much loot on a Video card, I mean they are hella nice don't get me wrong, that ATI 9800 Pro is sweet, just looking at it, im like wow, you can tell that's a good card. It's impressive. I guess I'm just to cheap to pick one up, if I was phat money I would buy one. Now that PNY Gforce 6800 Ultra, now that is looking like a great card, would be kicking the ATI Pro's @ss all day. I'm picking up a cheapo video card, I just need a good enough card to run Diablo 2. Right now with intergrated Video it plays pretty decent. With a cheapo video card I should be looking pretty good. Had my mind on an ATI 9200 128mb, and call it a day.

19. Praetor

Yes and no. The SE versions of ATi cards fill the sub-budget role superbly (the R9200 and G5200 are just budget boards). The SE offers, argueably, more performance per buck than its budget-based big brothers. Naturally, people who are interested in budget and subbudget cards are not out to play UT2004/FarCry (or if so, not at high framerates, or even that withstanding, dont complain when it lags out).

EXACTLY. It's for richass people who just wanna brag and show off to the rest of the world that they are all leet. Course there are those who buy it because of other reasons and dont go around getting into pissing contests -- not enough unfortunately.

Fiesty now. So you are essentially saying every single ATI card is better than every single nVidia card based on a comparison of a top-end four generation old card with a bottom end three generation old budget card. There's class for ya. How about this 'proof': the nVidia 6800 beats the ATI Mach32 ... does that now mean nVidia is the best ever? Hardly. I'm not here to start a war or a pissing contest -- merely to state that one cant fairly and objectively say ATI or nVidia completely and utterly better than the other.

Like I said before, you cant compare between generations and classes of video cards -- certainly not if you are going to make broad statements like ATI is the best period or nVidia is the best period. Well... of course you can do that, but there's not logic and structure to that line of thinking ... hence my comment earlier about unsubstantiated (or insignificantly so) claims.

Indeed there is a very insignificant drop in performance between the Sapphire and stock models. I only mentioned THG's review because of the noteable bias chosen by comparing the 6800 to a Sapphire model card.

Likewise actually (hehe, me... with an ATI based card -- shhhhhhhhhhh!) ... the only thing I've noticed is that the OCing headroom is noticeably less.

Dont think they make one(?)

Not entirely sure here but wouldnt the 9600SE (which is $10 cheaper, at least here in Canada), be a better choice?

Aye indeed.

JSRife
    In reference to the Quadro (and ATI's equivalent, i believe its called the FireGL?), those workstation cards have a lot of processing power and usually come with a crapload of memory and memory expansion capabilities and such. This of course comes at quite a cost to gaming however: the drivers and engines for those workstation cards are designed purely for pixel precision (i.e., in a CAD environment, a pixel or two can mean that a window is no longer connected to the wall) etc. Furthermore, DirectX support for them is spotty at best and if one does manage to get it to work for mainstream games, enough of that horsepower is delegated to running the card in DirectX-compatibility mode.

20. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Guest

ATI pwnz all with the x800...dont get me wrong that nVidia makes ok cards but the realistic picture quality is out of the ATI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.