1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Dont bring that stupid leet crap here.
    2. If you can honestly say that nVidia's cards are that much far behind ATi's then you are either very full of yourself, not very knowledgeable or you only play turn based games. When framerates exceed 70+ fps, you can't tell whether a picture is "better" or not simply because the human mind doesnt have that kind of perceptual sensitivity.

2. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Guest

yeah...ok this is rediculous

3. JSRife

JSRife Guest

I agree with the comment Praetor said about Nvidia and ATI both making great cards. ATI comes out with a great card better than Nvidia, then 2 months later Nvidia makes a card to match it or surpass it and so on, it keeps going back and forth. Kinda like Pentium and AMD, one makes the better faster processor and then the other company tops it and so on. Nvidia now has the 6800 and ATI has something called the XL800, 400 and 300 or something like that. Don't know which card is better between the two, which ever card is the better one, the other company will make one even better soon enough and so on again and again. I will say one thing about ATI over Nvidia, I hear a whole hell of a lot more hype about the ATI cards when they first come out than most Nvidia cards. I think it's the fancy box the ATI card comes in, kinda gets into Peoples heads a little. HA HA... I went to ATI's website and their new generation cards are all out of stock, I believe you can get the NVidia 6800 chip on their website now. Doesn't really matter, just curious which card is better Nvidias latest greatest card or ATI's Best right now?

4. Praetor

To be honest, it actually damn near a tie depending on what you look at.

'Traditionally' nVidia has gone after brute speed (very much like Intel) while ATi has gone after efficiency and AA/ansio quality. I honestly think ATi still holds the crown for AA/Ansio quality (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/85366 for a little rant on that). Of course the quality of AA/Ansio doesnt really matter when you are playing games in exceess of 60fps but its a point nontheless.

As far as "standard high resolutions" go (1280x1024, 1600x1200) and naturally the lower resolutions, ATi and nVidia are evenly matched in a 'tit-for-tat' kinda manner. It does seem however at the even higher resolutions, (1900x1600, 2048x1536 etc), with all the quality settings ramped up, the nVidia card pulls off more framerates than the ATi card (not in all cases but it seems the nVidia one pulls ahead more often). I would attribute this to the sheer bandwidth available to the card but I'm not entirely sure on other aspects of the design (I'm only 2nd year univ, dont know how to do formal hardware analysis yet hehe).

Of course the point that everyone is so quick to forget is that none of this crap matters. Both the ATi and nVidia cards pull ofd well over 80fps -- which is beyond what people are even able to 'sense' let alone 'see'. So what do we have: ATi's strength in AA/Ansio is pointless; nVidia's (supposed) framerate advantage is pointless -- pointless + pointless should (directly) equal pointless but for some reason it often equal pointless pissing contests -- often between people who own neither card hehe. (Isn't it amazinf how every ATi fan says nVidia cards are 'slow' or 'sluggish' just because of their experience with one specific card (and usually a budget card at that) and every nVidia fan will point out ATi's not-so-great drivers (without knowing the first thing about DDK)? LOL

Another thing to note is that one can easily make a benchmark work a certain way if they so choose -- an optimization here or there and a different tweak here or there and the benchmark swings a certain way. Marketing firms everywhere have been doing this for the longest time ever and for reasons that completely boggle me, these 'fans' dont seem to realize that LOL

5. AlexR

AlexR Guest

I heard the NVidia 6800 is going to cost around $499, and the ATI X800 is going to be $400 or under. Guess we will see soon enough. I would think the Nvidia would have the edge, for the simple fact it will be more money. I have seen the 6800, don't really like the way the card looks, it looks like a plasic case with a mermaid on it, looks like a kids sticker or something, and the X800 pretty much looks like a 9800pro chip, the X800 is a little more decked out, but overall looks the same. Save your money kids and buy a cheaper card than these two, pick up any of thse fine choices. ATI 9200pro, Nvidia 5200, ATI 9600, ATI 9700Pro(Awesome card) also Nvidia 5700. Any of those will run current games flawless. I'm sure all of these would run Doom 3. It's all about Doom 3, if you're playin it then your winning, nevermind the fancy video card, it's Doom 3

6. Praetor

Hell my Ti4600 will run Doom3 (albeit at crappy framerates, and on certain levels, negative framerates hehe). But most certainly not the 5200 or the 9200... those cards simply dont have the juice to run Doom3.

Oh hell ya but lets not turn this ATi vs. nVidia brawl into a Doom3 vs HL2 brawl ;-P

7. otester

otester Guest

He could turn it into that because thats why this forum is called Nvidia (shit) vs. Ati

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Let him (or anybody) try and we'll see how Praetor feels about it :)

9. Nephilim

Not the best way to pick a card :) Looks don't count for much either, the proof is in performance.

The ATI X800 Pro is selling for around $450 but the X800 Platinum will go for at least $500.

Both the top of the line cards (6800 and the X800) run neck and neck in every test I've read so far.

The only way a 5200 or 9200 will play Doom3 "flawless" would be at 800X600 resolution with all the eye-candy turned off which defeats the purpose of buying the game in the first place. Kind of like buying a top-fuel dragster and then putting down the street at 25mph.

*edited for clarity*
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  10. AlexR

AlexR Guest

I heard a rumor, don't know if it is true. I heard they might re-work the ATI X800 at a later date to make it even better. I guess they are going to sell it as is right now until they sell out of the card, then start building it a little different. Heard they are using parts from the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro to help max out the X800 abilitys. I guess there is a chip inside the ATI 9000 Pro, that is the best piece of hardware in video card history, they over looked it I guess and never used it's perfomace in the 9000Pro card, they slipped up is what I heard. I heard People are now tampering with their ATI 9000pro cards to up beef up it's performace 100%....And they say with this kind of perfomace gain the X800 will be bassically a x800 Super card. Don't know if it is true or not, guess we will have to wait and see.

11. otester

otester Guest

if your right then ATI's a bit gutted because a 9000 Pro is quite cheap!

12. Praetor

If (pointlessBickering(thread.posts) || (mindlessFlaming(thread.posts))) {closeThread(Praetor, this.thread); dissapointed(Praetor, very);} else {keepPosting;}
    ;-P

Not a chance buddy ... very VERY unfortunately btw but the calibre of these new games is CRIPPLING. My Ti46 will choke and die on certain levels (-8FPS) while on good levels I think Ill score ~10-15 fps ... moving slowly and shooting minimally (which is the case cuz im too damn terrified to shoot .... noise .... attract .. bad guy .... me ... die.... bad). In either case, lets get back onto the nVidia/ATi hardware rant rather than digress to gaming talk (that's what Blasteroids is for anyways hehe)

13. Nephilim

Time for a new vid card! I hear the X800's come with a huge sticker you could put on your case ;)

I absolutely agree that these next gen games are crippling indeed. And it's only going to get worse.........or better depending on what you're packing :)

14. Praetor

Dude.... I dont have a problem with ATi's hardware ... it's just three of the four times I've bought and ATi card ... I didnt get the card I bought ..... i dont like those kinds of odds

15. Nephilim

I know, just funnin' ya buddy ;)

16. otester

otester Guest

Praetor where do you buy your cards from.

17. Praetor

Uh .... you probably dont know the guy but his name is Tony .... I dunno what kind of answer you are looking for exactly(?)

:)

18. otester

otester Guest

PCWORLD,EBUYER,NOVATECH,DABS,SIMPLY.........

19. Praetor

Uh.... "some small-computer-store-that-doesnt-have-branches-anywhere-else-but-this-tiny-ass-town" ... in all honesty I'm considering getting a company license and stuff so I can get stuff at resale prices ... havnt decided on that yet but let's not stray too far off topic
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  20. Nephilim

Where do puppies come from?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.