1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia vs ATI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by otester, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSRife

JSRife Guest

What is the better card between an ATI Radeon 9600 XT or an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro? In the ATI serious of cards which is better to go with? I noticed the XT card cost more than the Pro. Don't know why.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Alright, no more funny business (directed at myself). On to the vid card debate.

I've been looking at the specs for the Radeon X800 Pro and Platinum and I don't see enough difference between the two to justify the extra 80 or so bucks.

3. Nephilim

The practical difference between the XT and Pro model is about a 10% performance boost. The XT's have a thermal sensor in them that will allow the card to slightly overclock itself within a certain temperature range though the benefit is pretty limited.

I could have bought a 9800XT when I got my 9800Pro but the price/performance increase wasn't worth it to me.

4. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Saw that an ATI 9700 pro cost a few more Dollars than the ATI 9800 Pro....Why is this?

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

This is an auto-OC? I never liked anything that auto-reclocked my system (aside from laptop processors running battery mode) ... is there a way to manualOC and/or disable this autoOC?

As for the 97Pro vs 98Pro I think it's just fluke (or marketing)

6. otester

otester Guest

its like selling two bannanas for £5 and one banana for £1

7. Nephilim

Was the 9700 Pro an All-In-Wonder? I've seen those still for sale but I haven't seen a stock 9700 Pro for sale in a while.

Yep. It's very conservative though, nothing like you'd get using PowerStrip.

8. Praetor

Same thought occured here too.

Pooooooooooooooo! Is there any way to turn this "feature" off?

I was gonna put something here ... but im laughing too hard and cant remember what it was.

9. otester

otester Guest

sorry i got that wrong.... i meant....its like selling 1 banana for £5 and 2 bananas for £1

10. Praetor

LOL yeah that makes a bit more sense! heehee. In either case i suspect it is the 97AIW since those are still quite common and do cost more than the plain 98P for obvious reasons :)

11. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Nope....Saw an ATI 9700 Pro plain Jane without the All in Wonder Package, and it costed a few bucks more than the ATI 9800 Pro.

12. Nephilim

If that's the case, it's not a very good deal at all! Maybe they're charging extra just for the nostalgia factor :p

I see 9800 Pro's going for just over $200 now which is a helluva deal for such a great performing card.

13. Nephilim

I'm not sure. I don't remember reading/hearing anything about that but then again my memory is quite lacking :)

14. otester

otester Guest

Maybe there site got hacked :)

15. JSRife

JSRife Guest

This is off the Video card subject....But is related in a way (it's all bout the memory) HA HA. What would you guys recommend as far as memory goes in a system? This is the way my computer came when I bought it. HP Pavilion desktop...128mb DDR 2100 memory, 40gig HD, AMD 1800+ Athlon , Mother board max is 1gig(2 512mb sticks DDr2100) Windows Xp Home edition..... The only thing I did to this thing is add a 256mb memory chip which I now have 384mb of ddr memory, which my computer uses some of the memory puts me down to 352mb DDR memory. Is it true with windows XP you should have at least 512mb of ram? I am picking up a 512mb DDR 2100 chip off of NewEgg.com for $72, good deal by the way, adding it with my 256mb chip which then gives me 768mb of memory...Do you guys think I will see a big difference in performace with the 768mb vs 384mb? will is make my computer much faster? With more memory does it make it easier to multi task online? and run smoother? I'm still getting a video card, don't really care about the brand or perfomance, if it's a 128mb video card that will free up my DDR memory also right? Instead if using my DDR memory to run Video, the Video card will kick in and take care of all Video correct? I don't play the latest greatest games or anything, not really into Video games a whole heck of alot. I love Diablo 2 however, which I been playing just fine without a video card, just want to beef up my system adding a 512MB Chip and a cheap ass 128mb Video card....Do you guys think with those 2 things my computer will be much better perfomace wise? Let me know.

16. Praetor

Well then make a new thread. Simple as that.

17. Xian

Xian Regular member

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16782
    I just saw this on a site talking about the release of Doom 3, which is relevant to the current topic:

This game is very important for Nvidia since this is where its rendering marchitecture will actually pay off. From NV30 upwards all Nvidia GPUs are able to render texture values without Z or Color information. The NV40, Geforce 6800 series has full 16 pipelines that can process one texture and can render as much as 32 textures without Z or Color info.

This means that in Doom 3, Nvidia's tech is likely to be much faster then ATI's R420. We heard as much as 50 per cent faster but we'll have to wait for the official release and do our own tests to verify that.

18. Nephilim

WOW! Now that is something to talk about. So we have finally have a game that will take advantage of nVidia's architecture advantages. It seems ATI has normally focused on the "here and now" aspect of performance whereas nVidia has been looking further down the road and it looks like it will pay off in a big way with Doom3.

Please let us know what you find out when you get the game Xian, although if it turns out the way you say, Praetor will never let me hear the end of it!

19. Praetor

The things is about ATI/nVidia's philosophy is that something like this has never happened before.... the Doom3/HL2-calibre of games have never been available before and so ATI's philosophy of here and now has been successful.

What do you mean.... if?

20. Nephilim

You never know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.