1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(O) LED flat screen TV's and more

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GerryH2u, Feb 2, 2010.

1. GerryH2u

GerryH2u Member

There here! I think.?. For 'years' industry writers and journals have been touting the coming of - OLED's!

It was being promoted as the new age miracle in Television viewing: - Brighter - Whiter - Sharper - Longer Lasting - Cooler Running - requiring Half the Wattage of (any) current TV technology!

Sounded like a breakthrough to me! Only; I've read about research advances for over five years now - and still no products on the market place.?.

oLED was a name applied following the discovery of a new 'organic' chemistry by which LED's were formulated which were: easier (i.e. cheaper) to make, faster - thin-film - cooler - and that actually emitted a "true white" hi-output light.

Ideas for new and improved applications "exploded". But "ideas" is where it all seemed to stop! Until more recently - last year I saw the first (municipal) "LED" street lights being marketed that put out "White" (not bluish) light, and were super-duper energy efficient - sure sounded to me like oLed's were arriving - then the (huge) TV markets exploded with "New" LED -(not LCD) TV's touting the same advantages - but still, no mention of the (long awaited) O-LED technology?

Does anyone here know if these "new" -[and overpriced]- LED miracle products represent (finally) an arrival of the long awaited "OLED" technology, or is it something different???

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I'm not sure if I read your question correctly. You mention LED Light bulbs, those have been around for years.

I think your question at the end there was what was the difference between LED and OLED?

An LED TV isn't a type of "new" TV, it IS an LCD TV, but with LED back-lighting.

OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. They have gotten a lot of hype because they have no back-lighting, which means they can be super thing (sometimes even flexible), achieve deep black levels and excellent colors.

However, because the "organic" dyes, have a short lifetime. They are prone to burn-in, just like Plasma.

And for some reason, most people think that OLED's are way more power efficient than LCD's. This is probably because people keeping thinking an OLED display is almost the same as an LED display (which is supposed to be more efficient), but they are two very different technologies, don't get them mixed up.

An OLED display uses about 40% of the power of an LCD display, when the screen is BLACK. And between 60-80% for most images. But when the image has a white background, it uses over 3 times more power.

No one really knows when OLEDS TV's are coming out. AMOLED screens have been used already in a lot of new smartphones. But when OLED's TV's do come out, don't think of it as a "miracle in TV viewing", it certainly isn't something to get all hyped about. I'm sure LED's and Plasma will advance a lot (if not already). By the time OLED's come out (if they do), it will be just another false hype IMO. The picture quality of OLED's are great, but currently it has a lot of drawbacks that most people aren't aware of.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. cezar78

cezar78 Guest

Now i should sell my plasma and buy o led new gen TV

4. GerryH2u

GerryH2u Member

Well Mike! You sure seem awful eager to launch into a chalk-board professors rant so as to display your expertize in all-things a-m-o-l-e-c-d's. Glad I could provide you the opportunity to get rid of that gas.

The question was clear in my last paragraph: in asking - "Does anyone here know if these "new" LED miracle products represent (finally) an arrival of the long awaited "OLED" technology??? (note: the use of word "miracle" was 'sarcasm' on my part, sorry). Anyone who has looked at the "prices" pasted on these *LED TV's - versus LCD or plasma, know exactly what was meant.

A reply with a simple "YES or NO" would have sufficed. A brief explanation would have been nice. The condescending arrogance in your wording demonstrates that you would be wise to confine your snide reply's to members small enough for you to verbally spank on.