1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OBLIVION PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Samsquach, May 29, 2006.

1. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Hi I just received Oblivion from a friend. It doesnt work on his computer so he gave it to me. When I created my character the menu was all glitchy (the cursor lagged, the player's face lagged.)I had no problems running HL2 or Counter-Strike and other high end games ( COD2.) When I started playing everything was laggy. I dont know what the problem is but I will describe it as best as I can. The game looks like a slideshow of photos, you know when it is laggy and it just goes slow...Oblivion is like that all the time on my computer.
    I considered a new graphics card but I dont know which one to get. PLEASE HELP

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Yes. Elder scrolls 4 brings even the high end games to its knees. What are the spec for your computer?

3. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Umm here are the quick specs
    Asus mainboard 512mb DDR PC3200 Dual Channel

80GB 7200 RPM hard drive

128MB GEforce FX 5200 AGP Video

Thats all I know. I dont know too much about my computer.

4. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Yeah you cant play that game on those specs ..or shouldnt be able too. Your 512 ram is really really bad. You need atleast a gig. Im shocked you do not have any problems with half life 2. Looks like you need a new graphics card. If you can afford it i would get a geForce 6800 GT OC. That with more ram you should be fine. I know the 6600 will play it also. My friend has 1 gig of ram with a geforce 6600 and his works just fine with Oblivion.

5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

The video card is what is causing the problems. Do not believe the back of the box or the requirements/supported video cards.

Here is what I say you need in order to run this game nicely:

p4 2.4GHz or AMD Equivalent
    640MB RAM
    6600 or better video card

Here is what I would call the supported list of AGP Video cards from weakest to strongest:

6600 ($85 - $130) - overpriced
    x1600pro (approx $160) - overpriced
    9800pro (approx $120)
    x700pro ($162) - overpriced
    6600GT ($140 - $190) - overpriced
    6800 ($140 - $170)
    6800gt (approx $250) - not worth it
    x800gto ($155 - $170)
    7800GS ($270 - $300) - not worth it
    x850xt ($240) - not worth it
    x850xt pe (approx $270) - Not worth it

Also, add 6800xt, but I am not sure where that would lie. I would guess it is about as fast as the 9800pro/x700pro/6600GT though.

You may also possibly be able to run the game fine with something like a 9600pro/xt and the 128bit 6200. The fx series is not a full dx9 compliant card, so you would have to use oldblivion (meaning that a 9600xt will probably outperform a 5950Ultra in this game). However, anything less than the listed cards like say an x600 or 6200 will need lowest resolution with lowest settings and you will still get low framerates outdoors and in some cities.

What is your CPU speed? You can upgrade to something like an x800GTO for about $160 and get an extra 512MB of RAM and be able to play this game at 1024x768 with high settings or 1200x1024 with medium settings if your CPU is fast. The video card is more important than the RAM upgrade as you can still get medium/high settings with 512MB RAM.

Also, make sure your hard drive is defragmented.

If you upgrade the video card, even though the Geforce series has SM3 support, I would recommend the x800 series. The reseaon is that they are cheaper by quite a bit. You can get an x800GTO for the same price as a 6600GT and the x800GTO will slaughter a 6600GT...

If you noticed, I added comments on whether a card was worth it or not. The ones I say are not worth it is because you can get a PCIe Motherboard for $60 and then get the PCIe equivalent for $160 or so. That means it would be cheaper to upgrade the motherboard.

The ones marked overpriced are so because they are priced higher than cards that perform it by at least double. There is no comparison between an x800GTO and an x700pro, yet the x700pro is more expensive... Same goes for 6800 vs 6600GT and x800GTO vs 6600GT.

Depending on what type of CPU you have, you can upgrade the motherboard for around $60 to $80 and then get a PCIe Motherboard and card. You may also need a new power supply because better cards have more power requirements, but a $40 PSU will do.

6. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Thanks ill try that but i think i have 2.4 gigs not 518 like i said.

7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I just read that you do not know much about your computer. Here is what you should do:

Click on the start button and click on "run"

Type in "dxdiag" without the quotes.

It will open the directX diagnostic tool. The first page has all the info you need about your PC. That is the processor type and speed, and RAM amount.

If you go to the Display Tab, it will show you the Video card you are using, but you already said it was an FX 5200.

8. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Thanks I just did the dxdiag thing and this is what i found:

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Gigs

510 MB RAM
    Is this good for Oblivion? What graphics card is recommended by you?

9. izzycow

izzycow Guest

http://www.oldblivion.com/

get a version from the bottom, and you'll be able to run it. the testing ones work the best, the unstable ones just crash.

10. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Testing? Unstable? As I said I dont know too much about comps. I think ill go for the x800 GT

11. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

I just need the name of 1 graphics card that is a good price and that will run Oblivion. (Full name of card please. Example:Nvidia geforce 5200)

12. malekite

malekite Member

13. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Here is a link to the Sapphire Radeon x800GTO:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

The link by the previous poster is for PCI Express. You said you have AGP, but double check again. If it is PCI Express, I will recommend a different card at the same price.

If you are interesed in unlocking the 4 extra pipelines on this card, here is the Link:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/34

and here is a thread about it:
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Major-problem-flashing-X800GTO-bios-ftopict184848.html

The bios to flash the x800GTO is the x800xl one which it seems that has been successful. However, flashing is not necessary since this card has the muscle to handle the game.

14. malekite

malekite Member

Oops yeah i didnt notice the AGP, But jaguargod has the right idea, BTW JG, are you sure you can flash the X800GTO cuz i would love to squeeze 4 more pipes outa my card, Or is it AGP only?

15. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

My card is an AGP and ill check out the link for the radeon x800.
    Would it be best to have it installed profesionally? And what are the four tubes you are talking about? I dont know the lingo

16. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Jaguar will the x800 play oblivion for sure? I just read that it needs an auxilary cooling system. Is that true?

17. malekite

malekite Member

Nah ya just need a little confidence. The pixel pipelines i believe are how fast the card can generate the graphics (dont qoute me on that)its like a highway the more lanes the more people (or pixels) can get to where they need to be. As for the installation just do a little reading theres nothing to changing out a graphics card, just make sure you uninstall the nvidia drivers before removing the card (i forgot to do that myself the first time)Try
    http://www.techpowerup.com/ there is probaly a guide there or ask at www.pcpitstop.com.

18. Samsquach

Samsquach Member

Alright. Thanks you guys have given me a good ida as to what I need. So far i've played up to the part where you need to find Martin in Kvatch. It was so slow it took me like 3 hours to get to that part from the start of the game. I'll check out my local computer store and see if they have the Radeon Sapphire x800GTO, and if so i'll buy it. Anyways bye for now!

19. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

@malekite,

I am not 100% sure that this card is flashable. I do not own it and am basing it on research that I have done on it. People have successfully flashed it to an x800xl. If you attempt to flash it, do tons of research beforehand. Also, make a backup of your BIOS and have a PCI video card just in case something goes wrong so you will not have to flash it blindly.

@Samsquach,

Do not try to unlock the pipelines. It is for a performance boost, but if you are not familiar with it, then you can damage your card.

I am 100% sure the x800GTO can run this game. I play it with an x700pro which is about half the card and I can run it at 1024x768 resolution with medium settings. I do not get blazing framerates, but they are about 60FPS in doors, 30FPS out doors and 45FPS in Cities.

As for installing, it is quite simple. Depending on your PC case, you will have to first unscrew the old video card. Next, if you look, there is a small tab towards the back of the slot. This is the release tab. Just push it slightly away from the card and then take the card out. If you cannot find the tab or do not want to mess with the slot, don't. That only makes it easier to pull the card out.

Then, just insert the new card into the slot. Make sure it is all the way in. Again, if your case has expansion devices screw in, do this to secure it. Next, connect the 4-pin connectors to the card. The Video card should come with the molex to 4 Pin converter in the box, but if not, they are cheap at maybe $3.

However, before rushing out to buy the card, look at your power supply. Open up the case and read the sticker. There are a bunch of voltage and watage ratings. For the x800GTO, I would recommend at least 300watts and 20A on the +12V rail to run your PC smoothly. If you do not have a lot of components (hard drives, optical drives, etc...), you can get away with less...

Post what is on the sticker of the power supply so that we can help you decide if the x800GTO will be powered up nicely on your PC.

Also, when looking for this card at retail, do not let someone talk you into buying something else that may be weaker. Stop by here first and let us know. We are not making commission from you, so you will get honest advice here.

20. malekite

malekite Member

Well said Jaguargod, I was wondering about the flashing when i first got my X800GTO Fireblade i researched the flashing and even tried it, Didnt seem possible at the time I do know however that the "X800GTO2"
    is very much flashable but i dont find it nescessary. Thanks for your input Jaguargod and Samsquatch if you see a GTO2 for a reasonable price GET IT! I found one one sale the day after i bought my card :( so shop around.