1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Occasional Skip / Jitter / Restarting -- some questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DougBuar, Dec 20, 2004.

1. DougBuar

DougBuar Member

Hi, All !

I have [bold]very much[/bold] appreciated the insight I have gained reading your (collective) posts. Thanks.

I am successfully backing up many of my DVDs, but occasionally hit a situation where a disc will be very choppy, or return to the start of the disc, or have a lenghty pause before going on several seconds further into the movie.

I am backing up the movies only. To date, I have only used Memorex DVD+R 8x (I bought a lot on sale).

My current environment is:
    Computer = Dell 3.06GHz, 512MB RAM
    Burner = Sony DRX-710UL (USB 2.0) ...
    (also have Pioneer DVR-A08XL, but haven't tried)

Software = DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0
    DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
    DVD Rebuilder 0.66a (only if movie without compression exceeds 4.3GB)
    Cinema Craft Basic 2.69.01.10 (used w/Rebuilder)
    Titlewriter 1.7

I have played with IFOEdit and VOBRator, but found I didn't really need them in my normal course of activity.

I use NeroExpress to burn, and have only tried 8x (or occasionally 4x with some older media). I have sometimes verified the media after burning, and find that it can be read.

I've seen the problems occur in both a Sony DVD changer (400 disc DVP-CX985V), and occasionally in an HP laptop.

So, if you'd be so kind to share your wisdom:

1. Is there much likelihood that I have badly compressed my source VOBs (using Rebuilder/CCE) and that the data, itself, is causing it to skip.

2. Does the speed I burn at really affect the quality of the disc image?

3. If so, is there some utility (other than Nero at the time of burning) which could assess the condition of a given DVD and indicate whether I should re-burn it?

4. Is the Pioneer internal / IDE burner more likely to produce a better image than the Sony external / USB burner?

5. If the data compression can affect the playback in some way other than the image quality, are there any guidelines as to how much compression can be reasonably applied? Can it be derived from the average bitrate per frame or some other metric?

6. If it's the media brand, what would be a better choice? (I just ordered a few Verbatim Dual Layer DVD+R's)

7. Though I plan on leaving my backups pretty-much untouched inside the Sony changer, should I still try to stay away from the very rim of the DVDs I burn?

>>> >>> Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions <<< <<<

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

Well I'm no expert but I would think your main problem is the media you are using, it really is not good media.
    i may be wrong, but i would choose better media like Sony, TDK and Verbatum.

3. colw

colw Active member

Memorex is of very variable quality depending on who/where they were manufactured.

Most experienced members of this forum would not touch same (See Scuba Pete's guides).

Quality rather than cheap media is the key to successful burning.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

yo doug, ditch that memorex, Your question:(1) Shrink is excellent when using quality enhancement, those memorex,aka poor media, can cause skips,pixellation,freezing,and no disc inserted in drive when it is inside. (2)Keeping the burnrate under 4x can help keep the errors down. Higher quality media and burner can perform far better at 6-16x.(3) You can also burn with dvdtocopy along with dvd shrink.(4) Pioneer internal or external sony? Most here would take the pioneer in a heartbeat,if they got room for it inside the case.(5)Quality of compression rate:Every one has their own compression rate and it usually depends on times. My rule of thumb,50-70%definetely,70-80% maybe,80-99% not.Practice with some rw's and find out how YOU like the quality with and without.(6)media to use? every burner is different,depends on what those stand alone players like. Buying them in stores?sony,maxell,tdk. Buying online:ty's ritek,verbatim. (7) I like to burn my discs at 4300 mbs,this keeps the outer edge from being burned.This outer rim is where some lower quality media dyes may be uneven. Also where most fingers will be touching it except yours,being it will be inside a changer. Did you notice how high quality media is the most critical part of dvd burning?.This is my 2 cents worth, good luck

5. DougBuar

DougBuar Member

Thanks for your good answers, gang.

Just to clarify, saugmon, when you say that 50%-70% compression is cool with you, are you saying that you can be content with the image left when the VOBs are maybe only 50% to 30% of the original size? In other words, a 1GB VOB compressed to 300MB might still contain enough information to be pleasant to watch?

Always looking to improve my understanding.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dougBaur,compressing 1 gig to 300 mbs should be viewable but the quality may be like vhs.When I get into the 50% compression range,lord of the rings"return of the king"and "two tower", I just did movie only. One backup I used all of shrinks quality enhancements and one copy without. There was not much noticeable difference on my 32" TV.The 30% range I have not ventured with. No problems at 50% though,no freezing or jumping when I play the backups. just my opinion.RW discs are handy on finding out the differences in quality with and without enhancements.Everybody has their own view of how the quality of those backups look like on their own tv's. Happy holidays

7. AnishT

AnishT Member

Hey.. Quick question for you guys.. I have a p4 1ghz with 1g ram, and iam buring dvd's.. I copy the image to my hard-drive and then proceed to burn them using that image.. Now iam using memorrex dvd-r, and when i play it back on my dvd player it skips sometimes, and on some movies there is no skip.. What do you think is causing this skipping? I heard disabling my virus-scan, and all other apps would help.. What do you guys think.. or maybe new media if so what medis brand woudl you advise.. THANKS ALOT

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello anisht, once again, memorex strikes again. Your stand alone does not like them,especially the - format. Try some maxell,tdk, or fuji. Look for something made in japan,they are the best. Ty's are the best if you can get some of them,mcc and ricohjpn are also excellent.

Try burning those memorex as slow as you can,this usually helps.Then try some maxell's -4x with the yellow tops,most of those are made in japan that I know of.Just pick up a small pack.

If you can burn both + and - format,you have more flexibility on finding the right media for that stand alone.I don't know what your burner brand and model # is,or how fast you are trying to burn.

Also with your low processor speed, disabling every thing like screen savers,internet, and anything else that may activate will help you. Your processor is running at max,100%. Any program that kicks in like antivirus update may screw you up.

9. AnishT

AnishT Member

Thanks for the insight.. I have a samsung dvd burner.. I will try to get a better media.. I also heard put a labels on your dvd tends to unblance the dvd sensor causing it to skip, but i know i tried it without and i still have the same problem.. Iam using Clonedvd to burn my dvd's.. I wonder if its the software? or maybe i should invest in a better brand dvd burner.. and whats the deal with DMA?? should it be disabled or inenabled??

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey anisht, don't just go out and replace your burner. I don't know much about samsung because I see very few threads on them. That could be good because of the lack of theads!

On your clone dvd program,I don't know much but many people think they ripped it off of dvd shrink. They say it is almost identical.I am unfamiliar with that program. But when it comes to dvd burning,files are files no matter if you used shrink,clonedvd,xcopy and the many other dvd burning programs.

your backups should play in the pc. This means if that the dvd drive that burned it,it should play near perfect while you are viewing it on your pc.

If that backkup looks great on your pc: the stand alones come in because this is where you mainly view those backups right? This is where poor media really shows up by:freezing,skipping,jumping,no disc errors,the video-audio quality sucks, and many more issues.

Labels? Most people don't recommend labeling your dvd's. Sharpies are the recommended way
    But if you really want to label those discs,use a thermal printer labels. There are a few threads on one for about $100 in the dvd-r media forum threads.

11. DougBuar

DougBuar Member

I can tell you this, AnishT, since I switched to TDKs, I have had ZERO problems. I have even tried increasing my burn speed back up to 8x and even 12x, and so far I haven't had any issues. I am using several programs, DVDDecrypt to extract, DVDShrink to remove unwanted parts, and Nero to burn.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
    Happy New Year !

12. AnishT

AnishT Member

ok cool.. Do you think since my burner is an 8x, and the dvd iam using is an 8x have anything to do with it? maybe its too fast?? I see you havea a Lite-on buner.. How is that.. I know Sony makes them too..

13. AnishT

AnishT Member

So DougBuar, originally you had a problem when you went to view your backup on a dvd player it skipped and froze right? adn now since you have taken Saugmon's expert advice and switched to TDK your backups are not skipping anymore? Memorox is prob a bad media, but picture quailty was better then the orginal, but iam still gonna chagne my media type, prob TDK and Imation..

14. DougBuar

DougBuar Member

Hi AnishT,

My symptoms were exactly as you describe: the playback was choppy, would skip, and occasionally restart -- all on stand-alone DVD players.

I know I could have done things one step at a time to see which item had the greatest effect, but I really wanted to get done with experiments, and on to successful backups.

So, I changed media, I started using my second burner (Pioneer), reduced my size a little to 4380 MB (thus avoiding the outer edge), and slowed down my burn speed. I have now started creeping my burn speed up a little higher, and am not noticing any ill effects. Eventually, if I get good, usable burns at 8x or 12x, I will be thrilled.

I think you'll be happier without the Memorex, and if you try to slow down the burn a little.

Good luck!

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

90% of the people on this forum with playback problems (freezing, pixelating) are useing memorex media. I think we've all been there, experience is the best teacher. We have since learned that for vidio reproduction you need good quality proven media with an even azo dye layor. Taiyo Yuden is the best but Ricohjpn, Maxell, Verbatum Datalife Plus, TDK, and usually Sony are good as well. My media of choice is Ricohjpn R01 for dvd+r and Sony branded Phillips 041 for dvd+rw. I only use + format since I booktype all my backups dvd-rom and Lite-ons perform better with +r media.

Here is a good guide to go by when purchasing media. It is a little out of date but still pretty accurate. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  16. AnishT

AnishT Member

Thanks for all the replies and help guys.. I swapped to TDK, and no more skipping.. Thank gosh.. Now iam gonna see if lableing them might cause it to skip.. but i doubt it..

17. puttie

puttie Member

why does everyone HATE memorex. I have had good (not great) success with this media (+R DVD). One maybe two were "costers." I have switched to Ritek (ridata) media and love it, not a problem with one.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The reason memorex is disliked is because they buy their media from several companies some good and some bad and you never know what you are going to get. It's also a bit pricy when you can buy quality proven media for the same price or less.