1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd bootup auto-update thing PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Johnny669, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

I wanna avoid hotswap if i can cause i dont wanna damage the drive. i have the eeprom and stuff somewhere if i wanna hook it up to PC with out hotswap but im not sure if that'll fix it

2. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

ok cool thanks, im in australia tho. not sure about you but its 11:30 about where i am, lol i just figuired how to edit. Go me lol

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  3. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

Ok! Your exact problem is that your friend has installed the softmod and then when he was trying to repair the mod your bios and dashboard has been damaged. Your DASHBOARD IS CORRUPT! Your never getting it back and your [bold](hacked)[/bold] bios is pretty much gone! Your TSOP is OK though!

From the research i ded into this problem when I had it it can happen in two a few ways. The amin cause is, fter an uninstall / repair if you click the xbox live option in a game. The game tries to patch the dash fails and causes this loop.

YOU CANNOT LOAD A GAME WHEN THIS ERROR OCCORS! So you cannot try to reload the softmod and to be honest its not the best soloution. A hotswop could (maby not) fix your problem but thats not how i did it! I looked into hotswops and they are not the best idea!

[bold]Bad News! Get a modchip![/bold] Its necessary for the safest soloution and it will allow you to turn back any problem in the future. Here is the safest step by step soloution!
    [bold]______________________________________________________________________[/bold]

- HOW TO FIX YOUR XBOX -

1. Buy Modchip. One with an OS like the Xenium Gold would be perfect. (You really need the OS for this prob)

2. Install and use the OS to put a bios on it. Since you cant boot the xbox properly you need the OS for this step.

3. Get Slayers or AID and perform a full rebuild.

4. Now your xbox will function properly!

5. Then reinstall any apps you had before.

PLEASE POST HERE IS YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES. This is what i did and now my xbox works perfectly!

Regards,
    Stuart
    Ireland

(Please excuse my spelling)

PS: I suprised someone else had this problem, i havent seen this ever before or since it happened to me!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  4. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

oh ok, that sounds sweet.

One question though. I know i can get access to my hardrive through my PC with my eeprom. Do you think i could sufficiently rebuild my hardrive that way? I would just put a MS dash on and let the drive be stock until i'd updated it. Using halo 2 or something. Then use the most up to date softmod.

Just that a decend chip, solderless cause my solderin skills are poo, will cost me round $130 i think and i can get a new Xbox for $99 or even just by a 360 rather than by a norm.

I will def think about just getting a chiip tho

5. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

I would definetly try to acess the HD from your PC and rebuild it that way if you can! That would be a nice soloution.

I actually did buy another xbox on ebay cus i couldnt find anyone else with my problem (and assumed it was bricked).

It seemed a shame to see my bricked xbox in the corner of my room. A few months later I decided to save up and then have a crack at solving the problem and chipping the xbox.

Worked first time and wasnt hard. I now have the two chiped xboxes and use them for sys link. Also I use one for tinkering and one for playing.

No pressure thats just what i did. Course xboxes were more expensive than and i went without one for months. Do which ever you want. Just be careful if you softmod the new one.

6. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

Did you try Xecuter or SmartXX they are cheaper then Xenium as low as 59AUD

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

yep, your ms dash has problem. Plus you can't load any game then you can't fix your xbox.

but it is a plus to try to turn on xbox with the Eject button, a original game inside DVD, a Slayer disk or other autoinstaller disk.

If those do not work, then you need to do hotswap or to buy modchip.

Well, if you have your eeprom on PC then you can build a new hdd with xboxhdm. NO modchip needed.

8. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

Have a look round now, any sites you recomend? and what version of the Xecuter 2.6 or 3? I think i have a V1.0 as i got it before they did that whole 2 free games a free control rebate. WAY back in the day of payin $700 odd lol

9. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

Mine was a 1.0 to! Funny. I'm an xenium man myself so ill have to look into that!

If its a 1.0 the solder in the LPC is handy. If you are going to install a chip (if its your first time). I'd recommend finding out as much info about the install before you buy a chip to see which is easist!

10. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

lol Cool, Now i only hope my mate can find my eeprom DVD i gave him when he tried to fix it otherwise i'll be hittin the chip up i think. It's got a 200GB drive in that i'd rather not risk with a hotswap.

EDIT---------------------------------------------

Cheers for all the help guys

Also return there was another guy on your shout box, 555Sniper or something had the same prob i think but i dunno how to direct him here as i think it would be the same process to fix his.

I'm off to bed, its 1:33 AM and im tired as.

Again thanks for all the help.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  11. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

LOL! Have a good sleep.

Hope all works out OK for you. A 200GB drive, NICE! I wouldnt risk it either!

Any probs you know where to ask!

12. lilpimpjj

lilpimpjj Member

hey thereturn i told this guy the samething to hotswap n then that stu_m guy says that u cant but ur the proof! lol

13. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

Yeah i would hotswap and i know its possible but i dont wanna risk stuffin up my HD. anyway i'll tell you what happens if i find my eeprom disk

14. lilpimpjj

lilpimpjj Member

okie dokie

15. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

I didnt say you cant. I just said it's not the safest way!

You all know the risks. I just wouldnt give someone the only option of a hotswop. Maby i didnt make that clear and i'm sorry if i didnt.

Hope you find the disc!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  16. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

OK Stu_M i havnt been able to locate the eeprom disk and have decided that an Xenium gold is the way to go seeing as i know that will work :)

I've found that i can use the normal ice guide to install as its exactly the same apparently. However it says something about setting up the retail bios straight after i boot it up for the first time, but as i understand it my bios is screwed. Although my TSOP is ok you said before so am i able to reflash my retail bios using the chip or....

Is this only because its a guide for the ice and the gold has its own OS and so i can just leave it or what exactly did you do with yours?

EDIT-------------------------------

Yeah concerning the fact that you were suprised someone else had the problem, i've only seen one other post about it but it never mentioned what he did to fix it only that he had a system back up and he used that, though i wouldnt think that would let him fix the bios.

So glad someone knew how to fix it tho =)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  17. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

[bold]When you Softmod the BIOS is stored on the Hard Disc[/bold]. Thats why his backup fixed things. Your bios got deleted off the hard disc and the defaut BIOS (on the TSOP) cant find the dashboard.

When you install and flash the chip [bold]the bios will be on the chip[/bold]. This is a much safer layout. The BIOS on the chip will override the Microsoft bios and you will be able to use the dvd drive. But you will still have the same problem the inportant thing is that the DVD drive is active.

Then you can put in a slayers disc and reformat and restore the C partition (if you want to keep your saves) or return the whole xbox to stock!

I would suggest the ice_guide, which i see you have allready found, its very good. I used it for my first xenium.
    http://www.teamxodus.com/pictures/Manuals/iceguide.pdf

And here is the manufacturers website http://www.teamxodus.com/

[bold]The Xenium OS is the same on all chips. I used the same OS that came on your chip.[/bold].

Any queries just ask...

(ill be away for the next few days though) Back on sunday!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  18. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

OK here's what i plan to do, if anyone thinks part of this is a stupid way to go then just let me know as this is a first for me and i dont wanna stuff it up lol.

[bold]1)[/bold] Install Xenium chip and use it to reflash my TSOP as stated in the manual for it.

[bold]2)[/bold] Then using AID 3.0 in the drive or failing that a copy of the EvoX M8 bios on a disk i will flash the extra bios on the Xenium with that

[bold]3)[/bold] Use AID 3.0 to wipe hard drive and fix up with the MS dashboard on C drive (I think thats where is has to go, using the MS Dashboard 5960 Revision 185EAD00 supplied in AID)

[bold]4)[/bold] EvoX dash (EvolutionX 1.8.3935) on E also through AID.

Then hopefully that'll be all i need to do, haveing the EvoX on E means that the evoX Bios should auto boot to that dash and if i choose to let the MS Bios boot instead then it should load the MS dash correct?

Also is that MS Dashboard the best one to put on or is there a more up to date MS dash? i've heard some games wont work as they have some auto dash update at the load screen.

19. Stu_M

Stu_M Guest

Ok! You have the basic idea.
    [bold]
    1) Install Xenium chip (NO FLASHING OF TSOP)

2) Flash the CHIP with evoX M8.

3) Wipe a 200Gb HDD? CRAZY! You probably have stuff you want to keep. You can wipe the drive if you want but all you need to do is wipe the C:// partition. I think you can do that with AID, know you can do it with slayers (smaller file). The MS dash goes on C.

4) EvoX dash (EvolutionX 1.8.3935) on E also through AID.
    [/bold]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Your TSOP is perfect please dont touch it! PLEASE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep! If you use the microsoft bios it loads C://xboxdash.xbe
    but if you have EvoX M8 it loads

E://evoxdash.xbe

if it cant find that it loads

C://evoxdash.xbe

if it cant find that it loads

C://xboxdash.xbe (Microsoft Dash)

Once its named evoxdash.xbe you can put it on C:// or E://.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as i know any dash version will work. Some games may update it but that is only a problem for softmodded xboxes. Chips dont have that prob since the default dash is not altered in any way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  20. Johnny669

Johnny669 Member

So just ignore the step of flashing the tsop in the ice manual? i dont see any point in flashing it unless its stuffed anyway but its prob just a precaution they put in.

Chip is still in mail and i've uni assignments coming out my ears at the moment, im starting to regret doing engineering and wishing i did finger painting (aka ART) but after 3 yrs no way im changing. Anyway i'll have a go at what you've suggested tonight or tommorow if the chip isn't here today.