1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd burning Behavior

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xxxzeebo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. xxxzeebo

xxxzeebo Member

I am not sure if this is where i should post..I am hardly a newbie when it comes to burning dvd movies..but recently I have had some strange burning problems..I have 2 burners..one is the internal HP dvd drive that came with my pc which was back in 2002..the other is a recently purchased usb HP burner HP DVD840e ..my problem is that i use DVD+RW's to burn..mainly to keep the continuity among all my players in the house..a couple of older ones simply will not play DVD+R ..yet will play the DVD+RW's..and of course the new players will handle anything... on to the problem...when I burn a dvd using my new usb drive ( i use imgburn btw)the dvd+rw will not play on my older players (mintek)but will on the newer ones..yet if i burn the disc using my internal dvd drive (hp200j) it will play on the older players along with the new ones..everything is fine..what would be the reason for this? i could see maybe a firmware issue on the new drive..but wouldnt the new drive be years ahead in that respect over the older drive that would be behind..yet works?? hope i make sense..any insight into this would be appreciated

2. david66

david66 Regular member

your external drive may have a older firmware or the problem may be media related make sure you use first class media stay away from nedia from Taiwan no matter whoes brand name is on the box

3. xxxzeebo

xxxzeebo Member

thanks for the quick response david....well i thought it may be firmware related..but why would a brand new burner not be "up to date" verses my old internal drive? besides there is no firmware update for this model aside from a lightscribe update..thus far...oddly enough though and maybe related?..the usb drive on my computer shows up as being HP DVD840d not e...even though the box clearly states its "e"...i have emailed HP about this..but yet to get a response..as I have seen a complete firmware update for the "d" model.....also,,.i am well aware of faulty low class media..i use verbatim btw..like i said everything works fine across the board when burned on the older drive..and on the new one everything is fine on the newer dvd players ..its just they will not play when burned using the new drive on the older players

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  4. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

This may be a long shot....but check to make sure your burning setup is the same for both writers. In particular, check to make sure that both writers are booktyping your dics as DVD-ROM. Booktyping as such increases compatibility with older model standalone players. If one is booktyping and the other is not, this may explain the discrepency. Just a thought.

5. xxxzeebo

xxxzeebo Member

well i use imgburn on both which would configure both to be burned the same way..is there some other configuration on the usb end that i am unaware of..because it was pretty much plug n play..only software that was loaded that i installed with the usb drive was nero..and even in the rare instance that i have used nero..i got the same results as the aboved mentioned

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Without googling to check, I'd say the older HP doesn't booktype. I've got one that's only a couple years old and it doesn't. When you know you have compatibility problems, a burner that will booktype should be used. Check to see if the newer drive booktypes. If not I'd suggest getting one or getting some of the new lesser expensive players that play everything. When you have the situation of playing here but not there and one format but not the other, that's just compatiblility issues, no matter what the combination is.

Not all drives booktype. Booktypying only works with +R and +R DL and adds code to the disc that shows the reading drive it's looking at a DVD ROM. DVD ROM is the universal player format and should be readable on all drives.

7. xxxzeebo

xxxzeebo Member

ahh..pacman that may be the issue..in preferences for the internal drive at least thru nero i have seen bookmarking options ..example..burn as "physical disc" ..which i have enabled even tho my main burning is thru imgburn ..now on the usb there is no such option aside from..a "dvd compatiblity" option enabled...i hate to make an issue of all this when really all the hassle would be to just drop the older players..could that be the issue?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm surprised the older players supported the RW format. I had to get a newer one to take care of that. My older players all supported + and -R, along with the factory DVD ROM. I think the inexpensive Lite-On burner drives support booktyping. Make sure before purhcasing a drive. It's cheaper than buying new players. I'd suggest replacing the older internal HP or just add the new drive so you have dual drives. Set the newer faster drive at Master on the channel with the old HP.