1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd problems with Dr. Divx - Jerky video?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Gryphus, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Gryphus

Gryphus Member

I'm posting this here because the Divx forums have been worthless to date.

I'm using Dr. Divx mainly becuase it is a batch encoder and seems to produce decent results. However....

The video output seems to be jerky. That is, whenever something moves fast on the screen, there is a noticable jerk. This doesn't happen when there is a lot of motion, just fast or complex motion.

For example, a group of people walking would not make the picture jerk, but if one of them were to turn quickly, it would.

I've tried fiddling with bitrates and picture sizes. A smaller size and lower bitrate produces somewhat better results, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Divx in the first place.

Any suggestions? I know this has been encountered before, as I've seen it mentioned in other forums, but to date there has been no real input on why it happens. I'm using a P4 2.4 with 1GB RAM to do the encoding.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I've never used Dr. Divx so you'll have to bear with me. :)

Does this happen to all your movies or only on some of them?

On this particular movie, what was the framerate you chose?
    (23.96 FPS or 29.976 FPS)

Im assuming youre from the U.S. or wherever else that uses the NTSC video standard.

Now, is there an option in dr. divx that tells you what the frame type of the movie is?
    (interlaced, progressive...)

If progressive, then just use an IVTC process on the movie. If interlaced use a deinterlacing filter.

What id suggest, is encoding a sample of the video that shows these jerky movements and use a different framerate than what you had used earlier.
    If dr. divx doesn't have any options that can do this, then you can use Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod for your tests.

Im not sure if the codec has anything to do with the problem, but just to be safe, Id use 5.05 version for testing out the clips.

Good Luck.

3. Gryphus

Gryphus Member

Thanks - I havn't tried changing the framerate yet. The clip is 29.976 NTSC. Something tells me that the new Divx codec is partially at fault, as I tried to play one of the encodes in PowerDVD and I had green streaks through the clip (!) and there were areas of the movie where blocks of previous frames didn't update correctly. The incorrect updating also happens with Divx's native player.

I've dropped back to TMPGEnc for the moment. If Dr. can change the framerate I'll give that a try, but I think I'm going to try my luck with a manual Divx 5.0.5 encode also.