1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OEM samsung USB data cable install help

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by theyseeAL, Jan 13, 2006.

1. theyseeAL

theyseeAL Member

i just got my oem samsung usb data cable for my sch-a850...

it didnt come with a cd, so i just plugged it into my computer...

a message came up saying i need to install it...

i tried this driver but nothing seems to be working...

does anyone have any ideas to help me???

thanks...

:af:

2. smigel

smigel Member

How to install custom ringtones on your A970 or A850 - WORKS!
    (Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Just follow these steps.

Samsung and BitPim

For this post, we're using BitPim. I use .0.8.01 however, other versions may work, be sure to go to View->Filesystem in order to get the filesystem tab. First we have to get your computer hooked up to your phone.

To do this, you'll need 3 things.

1) A USB Cable
    2) Drivers
    3) Bitpim

USB CABLE CONNECTION
    With a cable, it's easy....
    1. A Cable. I got mine from Yourwirelesssource.com for $7.88. They offer free shipping if you refer someone, so why not refer yourself from one email account to another? You'll get a coupon in an email. Use that
    http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/s...ccessory/260993
    2. Plug in cable
    3. Plug in phone
    4. Done..

SAMSUNG A970 DRIVER FOR WINDOWS
    1) Download USB driver: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...CDMA_Driver.exe

2) Install Driver

Note: no luck on finding a Macintosh driver so far...

BitPim
    2) Download Bitpim:
    http://www.bitpim.org/#download
    Now, download BitPim. Install, then run.
    1. Click Edit ->Settings
    2. Change Phone Type to CDMA-Other
    3. Type in the COM Port for the phone. I've had success with the Test port. (for me it's COM7)
    4. Click the FileSystem Tab and after a bit you should see your phone's file structure.
    5. All of your files are displayed in their wonderful Glory!

GENERAL INFO
    Here are the locations for important files:
    \mm\mvg\drm - ringtones go here. Both midi and mp3
    {edit to add other locations}

Putting a Ringtone on the Phone.
    1) From mm/mvg/drm select New File and then choose the file to upload to the phone. So far, everything seems to work. MP3s of any lenght, stereo or mono, VBR etc. MIDIs work to. Just put them in the right directory, which is mm/mvg/drm

2) Wait for the file to upload to the phone

3) Quit BitPim

4) IMPORTANT. Reboot the phone. ie. turn it on then off. Otherwise the files won't appear.

5) Go to Get it Now. Select Tunes & Tones and scroll down to the track you just uploaded. Select Options and Apply as Ringtone

6) Booyakasha!

3. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

I tried that, and i can't get it (Bitpm) to read the filestystem of my SCH-a850 w/ the USB data cable and drivers installed, am i perhaps doing something wrong? plz help. i don't want to have wasted the money on overnight shipping to find out this cable is of no use.

4. smigel

smigel Member

I am using windows millenium, which may or may not be important. You should check to make sure, that your Windows SCH-A850 device drivers are listed as working properly. I have a CDMA modem driver showing up under the modems tab, a diagnostic COM port under the COM port tab, and three USB drivers showing up under the USB tab. If you have installed BitPim, you should select edit - settings and select "other CDMA phone" and select the "Samsung diagnostic COM port". Then if you start BitPim and select view - file system, hopefully it works. Go to http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/ to obtain diagnostic proceedures for BitPim.

5. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

sorry, the drivers weren't fully installed, and i found some provided by Verizon that came w/ their office kit that worked better then the others, but still the A850 doesn't charge like the thing said it would off the usb/cable....oh well.

6. smigel

smigel Member

I purchased a Samsung PCB113VBEB USB cable from http://yourwirelesssource.com/do/search/searchProduct?search=pcb113vbeb for $7.80. I don't know if you are using that cable or not.

Also I am interested in your experience with the Verizon software. I didn't know if you had paid the $56+ dollars / month for internet service to get it.

I also purchased a copy of Susteen's DataPilot, but it didn't work / support the SCH-A850. The Samsung cable says it is for the SCH-A630, SCH-A850, and SCH-A950. DataPiolet supports the SCH-A630.

I bought my phone at Best Buy. They didn't have the Motorola V276, that was available through the Verizon web site, but the V276 is now supported by DataPilot.

Also note that the SCH-A850 is new. It received its FCC approval in June 2005. So it has probably been on the market less than 6 months. So maybe it will be better support in the months ahead.

7. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

I purchased a Samsung PCB113VBEB USB cable from http://yourwirelesssource.com/do/search/searchProduct?search=pcb1... for $7.80. I don't know if you are using that cable or not

i went to Radioshack and looked at the Datapiolet that lists the A630, well it didn't fit into the A850 so i didn't buy that (it was also 20 bucks)

the drivers are the ones verizon gave you, someone on another forum uploaded them off the CD i believe it was for the A970 the music starter pack.

i'm missing a file directory though.

\mm\mvg\drm

doesn't seem to be on my A850.... i did however do the wallpaper swap trick on this phone, but if u can tell me how to do the sounds or help me out a little more that'd be great.

8. smigel

smigel Member

I got the link to the drivers on another forum. The actual URL is
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...h=SW/200508/20050804143823625_CDMA_Driver.exe

I don't know why my first attempt to paste the URL in the forum had all of the... in it.

When installed these drivers, they have a date of November 2004. If you use the Samsung "pick you phone interface" they give you drivers with a 2002 date. these drivers do not work.

I haven't played with sounds. I just wanted to retrieve the pictures from the camera without have to pay $.25 per picture.

If you can see the file system on the phone, I would just snoop around to see if you can find anything that looks like a ring tone file or whatever you are looking for.

9. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

yeah i figured it out on 2 different 850's, it just happens that we don't have some of the mm folders the 970 does so just had to change their tutorial around alittle, i'm probably going to try to get one up sometime in the next week about wallpapers and maybe (big maybe)BREW games.

10. Mhami

Mhami Guest

Smigel or anyone who can help,

This is why I just purchased the data USB cable too. However, I can't get it to work. I went to Samsung Download center and downloaded 20050119150453218_USB_drivers.zip but when I plug in the cable it recognizes new hardware and I direct it to the drivers and it does not find what it is looking for.

I also tried your link to download 20050804143823625_CDMA_Driver.exe but when I click on your link it just keeps gathering the files for the longest time. I don't think it will ever work. I'm stuck. I don't know what to try next. Can you help me?

I don't have a special program for the data cable, but I was hoping with the driver I would be able to use other programs (such as paint). Am I wrong? Do I need a special program for this phone?

Thanks,

Marianne

11. smigel

smigel Member

Use the URL, that I posted on the February 10, 2006. It should immediately bring up a download screen for a .exe file with the drivers. I do not know why Samsung put invalid drivers on their web site, that is accessible through their user interface. The URL I listed goes to a non published Samsung location. The drivers at non published location installed correctly for me. Note that in the last couple of weeks, Susteen's DataPilot now officially supports the Samsung SCH-A850. When I installed it, it only added its own modem driver. It didn't like the Samsung one. Using DataPilot I can connect to Verizons Quick 2 Net at 14.4Kbps. I just ordered on eBay a copy of Verison's Mobile Office Kit. It includes Verizons VZAccess Manager and Fourelli's Venturi compression software supported by Verizon servers. If this installs, using the Susteen modem driver, I will have acceptable, not fast, internet service that just counts against my minutes, which means that it is free after 9 PM and on weekends.

12. Mhami

Mhami Guest

Okay, I got the URL to work today. I downloaded the drivers and they are installed properly on my computer. I have looked at the Device Manager and they are all working properly. However, the programs I have still are not detecting that I have a camera connected to the computer. I have rebooted the computer and the phone and it still is not working. Do I need to install BitPim just to retrieve pictures? Did you ever get your pictures on your computer? How did you do it exactly. BTW, I really appreciate your help.

Marianne

13. smigel

smigel Member

You must also install a program to access your phone's data. BitPim or DataPilot will both work. With the version of BitPim, that I have, only the file mode works. It displays a Windows Explorer type of view of the directories and files on your telephone. You have to look in each folder to find which one contains the .jpg camera files. Then you can copy and paste them in a Windows file on your computer. On BitPim, I set the option to not allow BitPim to overwrite files on the phone, just in case it could mess something up.

14. Mhami

Mhami Guest

Just wanted to let you know that I got the pictures. Thanks so much for your help.

15. ackattack

ackattack Member

Wow...This forum is awsome!! Everything I needed answered before I even asked:) One quick question...I just tried to pruchase the Data cable form yourwirelesscom and can't seem to find where you have the option to refer someone to get free shipping. Was that a short term promotion or am I just looking in the wrong place? Thanks!!

16. smigel

smigel Member

I wasn't paying attention to the shipping discounts. Sorry I can't help.

I now have purchased Verizon Mobile Office Kit on eBay and Susteen's DataPilot, and I have successfully connected to Verizon's Quick 2 Net service with my SCH-A850 and USB cable. DataPilot needs to get installed first to get the Susteen modem driver.

I called Verizon’s customer service on the phone and confirmed, that “Quick 2 Net” is free. It just counts minutes. So after 9 PM and on weekends it is free.

1. Install the data pilot software. When it asks to install a modem driver say no. We will do this later.

2. Start Data Pilot and select the update button. Load all available updates.

3. Reboot you system and start Data Pilot again.

4. Select the DataPilot Internet connection icon. Let it automatically detect your phone. It may ask you to reboot your computer to install its own phone modem drivers. When asked select Verizon as the service provider and Quick 2 Net.

5. Try connecting to Quick 2 Net to confirm, that you can connect. It will be slow, because the compression software does not work with DataPilot. Then disconnect.

6. Next install the “Mobile Office Kit”.

7. When installing the Mobile Office Kit select “other” for the modem selection. The Susteen drivers seem to work best for me, but you may need to try all of the ones available to find one, that works.

17. climberpm

climberpm Member

It says Phonebook and calendar are supported on all Samsung phones however I have an A950 and I can't seem to upload either ?
    Anything special I need to do ?

Thanks

18. ackattack

ackattack Member

I got everything that I need, however I am having alot of trouble using bitpim to upload an address book. The files in the PB directory are all separate...one for names, one for numbers, etc... Is there a way to do this using bitpim...or would datapilot work better...???

19. roel

roel Member

i have a samsung A920 phone and the cable that came with it, but im having trouble getting the right drivers. i tried downloading the driver from the sprint store and it still didnt work...and i also tried the bitpim...but i didnt try the driver for windows b/c it was a different phone..tell me what i need to do anyone...please...

20. dtsdts

dtsdts Member

I bought a usb cable at yourwirelessconnection, installed bitpim using settings for "other cdam" as a phone type, etc. The filesystems table is displaying data files from the cell phone, not as jpg files. renaming the file after transferring the file returns errors...is it necessary to buy DataPilot instead?