1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Movie Thread - Discuss movies here

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by DVDBack23, Apr 29, 2006.

1. EnigmaCM

EnigmaCM Member

Try the majority of the movie for me, having lost a few friends already, this brought it all back to me so it hit hard in some spots.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Takes for the tip EnigmaCM - added it to my queue so I should have it this week.
    I like Kevin Bacon and HBO usually does some pretty good movies.

@rtm27
    Sounds like I need grab a box of Kleenex for this one

3. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Yeah, you may need to, Binkie.

I was telling a co-worker about this film, and she really liked it...and the PFC who died had her last name. She also told me that his first name was the same as her dad's, so watching the film brought back a few memories and alot of tears for her.

4. EnigmaCM

EnigmaCM Member

I really do not tear up on movies, I am very "macho" about it but just seeing the trailer made me tear up and watching the movie had me in tears, it was that good of a movie and very touching. This is one of those movies you just want people to watch to see how they react to it since it is very tear jerking all around

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Has any one else had trouble watching Benjamin Button all the way thru? I stopped about half way. Does it get any better at the end? Wondering

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Yeah, it took me two viewings to get all the way through it.

7. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I get to about 40 minutes till the end, before I shut it off. I can't see what all the hoopla about this movie was about.

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I don't know if I got your questions right, are you guys having trouble watching Button cause of viewing problems or did you guys mean just couldn't stand watching it anymore due to boredom or whatever.

I made my copy with DL Disc with anydvd & clone and didn't have any problems at all.

9. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Boredom.....and plainly could not understand the movie. Backing up was very easy.

10. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Agreed.

Backing it up was easy-peasy.

It's just a slow moving movie.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Ditto, easy back up and thank goodness I didn't waste a DL blank! The movie just plain sucks even tho it is about New Orleans 75 miles down the road! Maybe Angelina Jolie wants to adopt him or ruin his carrer?

12. binkie7

I'll be the oddball here - I liked Benjamin Button. Maybe it's a girl thing?

@EnigmaCM - I got Taking Chance - hopefully I'll watch it over the weekend.

13. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Don't forget the box of tissues, Binkie.

I had left the movie at work, and a few others watched it.....and they had told me they all shed a few tears. None of the guys were too embarrased to say they cried a few times during the movie.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Yeah I agree, I also enjoyed the movie,(Benjamin) it's a shame most didn't but than again to each his or hers own, because I'm a huge movie buff there are not to many I don't like, I rent thru the net and also go to my nighborhood B.B. store, not to many flicks I have missed.

I've also been pretty lucky in my rentals, not to many stinkers I get stuck with, but than I'm no way perfect either, I did strike out badly the past week, I often also rent a lot of B movies and get suprised many times.

My upper last week was Irana Palm, A Very British Gangster & Let The Right One In, the first two I kinda knew about even though I did not expect for Irana Palm to be as good as it was, I love true stories and History so British Gangster did not dissapoint, Let The Right One In, I knew it was gonna be a B movie actually you could see the budget was at least a C, but it suprised the hell out of me and enjoyed it big time.

The stinkers were Special, one I can't even remember the name, and the third was one called Avida, this was one of the biggest stinkers of all time, and for me to say that it has to be bad.

15. EnigmaCM

EnigmaCM Member

Just hope Hollywood does not screw up the remake like they did with the Uninvited (remake of A Tale of Two Sisters)

16. binkie7

If Hollywood is doing a remake of Let the Right One in I think they'll screw it up.
    I liked it - definitely not your typical Hollywood movie or vampire movie really.

Taking Chance - good and very sad movie. Didn't really need Kleenex's - not because I'm some hard ass but I think you guys warning me I was well prepared. The ending choked me up too - showing the home video of PFC Phelps.

Saw Angels and Demons tonight - not because it was a movie I was dying to see - just a night out at the movies. I wasn't thrilled especially since I read the book & the movie starts mid book. No character build up at all so the suspense the book had was totally lacking in the movie.
    If you've read the book don't see it - no character build up at all - the movie starts

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I remembered the name of one the 3 stinkers I viewed the past week, it was that D. Darko, man what a rip, first it was not new, they just added a few extra scene's, eiter way it stunk than and it stunk worse now.

18. dailun

dailun Active member

I actually caught up on movies this weekend.

Quantum of Solace - Didn't move from my sofa for the entire movie. Riveting. Daniel Craig IS James Bond.

The Wrestler - I've only seen one other Araonofshy film "Requiem for a Dream". Since I'm a 80's wrestling fan, there was lots for me to enjoy in this film. I'm glad I saw it on Blu-Ray since the "slow" scenes were a little too slow for me, and even Marisa Tomei's near-naked body couldn't hold my interest. Still, the human drama made it "worthwhile".

Star Trek - IMAX. Overall, an enthusiastic thumbs up. Yeah, there were plot holes and a lot of "suspension of disbelief", even for a Star trek movie, but this was IMHO a GREAT WATCH!!! I had read several reviews before going I have arguments for almost all of the "negatives" that I read. I think that the actors, director, and screenplay writers all did a great job!

19. EnigmaCM

EnigmaCM Member

There is a video on You Tube a viewer recorded on his PVR and posted a news snippet on LCPL Phelps. for what it was, it was very interesting as to what the aftermath of his death, funeral and story Lt. Colonel Strobl wrote to convey his thoughts and his experiences but their was one part that was I think the most thought provoking to me and something i might of done myself. The newscast told a side story about how Marines receive 96 hours of leave during Memorial Day weekend and explain how some Marines spend their time. They also told about a few Marines who instead of going on vacation or visiting family instead went to see the gravesite of LCPL Phelps. They also showed a picture of the Marines at his grave in their dress blues. When I saw this I though "talk about respect to spend all that time to salute a fellow Marine they would have never known otherwise". In hindsight, I would of done the same I guess. I provided the link if you want to see it, Binkie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Rl6qqPOnc&feature=related

20. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Watched Valkyrie last night, excellent, and another unknown movie, that was also very good called American East.