1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Movie Thread - Discuss movies here

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by DVDBack23, Apr 29, 2006.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

watched the Descent lastnight.. pretty gory movie. odd ending..speaking of that is it me or are alot of movies ending that way... not really ending, just going off leaving you thinking how it ends..wickerman was like that also...

2. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I guess that's in right now.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I watched:
    We are Marshall- A pretty good movie,if anyone like sports movies.

Rocky Balboa- Better than I thought. More storyline and only 1 fight scene.

The Descent- Pretty spooky.I do love my gore!

A low budget dvd I picked up:
    Altered. Pretty scary.You've got hicks capturing an alien,and avoiding the rest of them in a garaged bunker.

4. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Went to see Pursuit Of Happyness with Will Smith (yes I know I spelt it wront but its supposed to be that way in the movie!). Then later went to see Holiday with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law & Jack Black. real nice movie also reminded me of my native Surrey (some of it was filmed there). Highly recomended both of em!

5. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Saw Children of Men the other night and it is a fantastic Film. There are a couple of sceens that has continues camara work that are very intense. One of the best movies I seen in a long time.

6. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

some quick reviews or comments on recent films mentioned...

didn't understand what the big deal was about The Descent.people are saying its the best horror of the 21st century but i found it very bland ,the creatures very unoriginal and the ending uninspired.the only things i liked about it was the camcorder view with the green screen and the fact that there was no clear lead throughout and it was like 5 main characters rather than 1 lead and 4 supporting.but like ive said im not a big fan of horror so thats an uneducated opinion

dont know whether or not im gonna bother with Rocky yet.i was expecting the worst but ive only heard good things so far.the first one was a masterpiece and the second was pretty good but the last 3 were just fun action flicks.hopefully this is a return to roots.

Pursuit Of Happyness looks like it might be ok.

i was pleasantly surprised by The Holiday.i thought it would just be a thrown together christmas themed flick to make some quick cash over christmas which it was but it was pretty well done and well acted despite being formulaic and unoriginal (although the house-swapping premise was somewhat original,albeit stupid).for a much better recent film with Kate though,watch the fantastic little indie flick Little Children

ive heard some great things about Children Of Men.its definitely one im gonna check out when it comes to DVD.

7. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Full metal jacket is wayyy better than snakes on plane.

8. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

The covenant was a good movie. The only bad part is the ending. The ending just runied the whole movie.

9. 97bullock

97bullock Regular member

The Covenant is crap

well the Oscar nominations have been announced http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2007/oscars

nominees for Best Picture:

Babel:haven't seen this yet.planning to go watch it tomorrow.i loved Inarritu's other two films Amores Perros and 21 Grams so im looking forward to it

The Departed:ive got mixed feelings about this.i want Marty to finally win his Oscar but i dont really want this to be the film that he wins it with.the Academy should hold out and wait for something better from him before they finally grant him the honour.but how many films could he possibly have left in him? hes no spring chicken.and he hasn't made a film worthy of Best Picture since Goodfellas 17 years ago

Letters from Iwo Jima:finally Eastwood proves himself as a Director (Million Dollar Baby and Flags Of Our Fathers were both quite well directed but were too flawed,particularly Million Dollar Baby).it s very good.i dont think its good enough to win Best Picture though and dont think it will.he has a chance for Best Director though

Little Miss Sunshine:i really hope this film doesn't win.i can't even believe its been nominated.i liked it but its vastly overrated.its an above average comedy at best

The Queen:blurgh.i haven't seen this and don't plan to.its probably ignorant of me to let my views on the Royal Family (i wont discuss it any further than that.no politics allowed) get in the way of my decision to not watch this film because from what i hear,her performance is outstanding but no,i have no interest in seeing this whatsoever.

10. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Watches Night @ The Museum yesterday! Its ok quite an amusing movie. Also watched the Guardian that was ok 2.

11. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

Crank felt weird to me, it used odd angles to disorientate you. And in the end, *SPOILER* is he dead? Because he blinked and i dont know if that is a spasm.

12. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Deadrain, thats a good question although I do not know quite how they would make a Crank 2 with that ending? Still........stranger things have happened! I am a big fan of his transporter movies & I really hope that they will make another of those!

13. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Just saw Smoking Aces:
    Movie was a total letdown. Its total confusing, there is a huge buildup for OK action sequences, and the end is horse crap. it could of be so much better.

14. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

crank sucked. watched the marine which was ok. the guardian was better though. I'll watch flyboy this saturday and i'll let you guys know how that movie is.

15. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

I have gotta dissagree on Crank!! I did not think it was fantastic but it certainly did not suck IMHO. Have not watched the marine yet (its on the list) hopefully its got some kick -ss action!

16. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

The reason i did not like crank was it was too fake. He get shot and he doesn't die. He drinks all that energy drink and doesn't die. He overdose drugs and he still doesn't die or gets knock out. and he falls out of the sky and he doesn't die. I didn't want to watch super man, I wanted to watch real human being who gets hurt.

17. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Watched the Dr Who Xmas special "The Runnaway bride" this w/e, I prefer the earlier Doctors but it was still quite amusing.

18. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Watched a couple of movies last night:
    The Departed, wow what a booring movie (mainly) & damm long too with many twists and turns, watch iot if its free & you are really bored!3/10

The Marine with WWE John Senna was the best of the three we watched lots of explosions fighting etc 7/10.

The Gridiron Gang with The Rock mediocre story line but the real "problem" is the endless football games in the movie which for me is as about as exciting as watching paint dry or a game of golf! The Rock should stick with action movies not this kinda dross! 3/10

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the story line was based on a true story. i thought it was a great movie myself

20. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

no, it was inspired by true story. They always exaggerate those kinds of things.
    I saw flyboys which was based on true story. I can't really give you a clear score since i was Sooo bored and i had to watch something. But some of the flying actions were cool.