1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 vs. N. Revolution

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by solargame, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVengence

WVengence Member

Just to clarify here...

I believe that the UT2K7 & FN3 were in game renders. Basically, they took the game engine, ran a sequence through it and recorded the results. As such, while it is not gameplay per say, it is an indication of what the game 'could' achieve. As such, we refer to this as ingame footage as it is the game engine rendering a sequence 'ingame'.

This is far different than something like the KZ2 footage, which is just video to say "we think we can do this".

The pic I posted ( and DLM) were from the developer stating that these were 'ingame' shots of the background buildings. No, they might not be entirely realistic (though you usually have to do a quick double take), but then, they are also meant to be seen while ripping by at 100MPH...

2. Doggy_Bot

Doggy_Bot Guest

Well ive been looking at the photos of the X360 and PS3... Ps3= UgLy....XBOX 360= CooL

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Funny, i prefer the styling of the PS3 myself, but hey, we all have our opinions...

4. rewquiop

rewquiop Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You WILL get banned for pedalling this spam. It is not welcome or wanted. You should have read the rules!

Pulsar

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  6. dlm

dlm Member

I don't know if this was previously discussed/posted, but here's a link to an annandtech article that was allegedly pulled by the editors:

http://forum.xbox365.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=66;t=000578;p=1

you have to scroll down through some of the posts to get to the full article. pretty much takes a dump on both consoles, so you can probably figure out why it was pulled. I guess it could all be a hoax but seems to detailed and accurate...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My my, what a fool.

8. xboxfool

xboxfool Member

lol got 1 question though. If the PS3 is so high and mighty howcome i can find like no info on it?

9. WVengence

WVengence Member

10. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

This post is the 790th post for this thread almost a 1000 :)

[bold]Atari Lnyx HandHeld 4ever[/bold]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kutiya

kutiya Member

Today i finished watching all e3 trailers of both machines(360 and ps3)
    and i visited all good websites which provide valuable info and i put all my information into a blender and heres the juice :
    XBOX 360 SUCKS BIG TIME INFRONT OF PS3 and i mean BIG TIME.
    When companies like Toshiba,IBM and Sony make a chip called "CELL" you better be on your guard because you are going into the world of virtual reality which is even real than those animations in speilberg flicks.I am unable to take killzone and motor storm trailer out of my mind its just "balle balle" man.Some websites are saying ps3 is 35 times faster than ps2 and twice as fast as 360,now thats shocking.On the other hand gamershell(you guys rock)download of 360 e3 file(503 MB)was a waste of time and money the games look even worse than xbox and nothing in comparison to ps3.
    Here is some true racist remark :Japanese are better than all of us.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote;
    "Here is some true racist remark :Japanese are better than all of us."

Could you please explain that remark?

Pulsar

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  13. WVengence

WVengence Member

I'm not sure which is worse... The 360 FB's or the PS3 FB's...

Buddy, get a clue.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol they just keep coming in...
    Unless of course its the same person every time... Nah, that's just me being cynical, as usual!

15. samparker

samparker Member

I think the ps3 will be the superiour system this time, i have heard rumors that the ps3 is 3 times as powerful as the xbox 360.

Thank god for sony

16. xboxfool

xboxfool Member

but they're rumors... don't just rely on them, for all u know the XB360 could be more powerful than sony.

17. WVengence

WVengence Member

Reasons: I finally got a chance to check out the Sony E3 coverage again and went through the times you specified.

I watched it several times from the 15-25 minute mark and to your credit, they do start talking about supported formats pretty much dead on 18:30.

Here is the list of supported formats...
    CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

I didn't hear Ken mention MP3's at all during that time. I will state that something I didn't catch previously is that he did say that you could listen enjoy Digital Audio, Video & Photographs even while playing a game.

This would SEEM to support the idea of custom game tracks EXCEPT that he also included video & photos. The way the statement played out makes it seem to me (Yes, this is my impression) that if you are using the dual HDMI outputs, you could have a game on one screen and have Audio, Video running on another. So, while it would 'technically' support custom game tracks, you would require 2 HDTV's in that case.

Oh, and it did state in a slide that the PS3 has "Firm Hardware Level Security" which could mean against Games piracy or Support of DRM as originally mentioned...

18. WVengence

WVengence Member

I also wanted to post something for all the people (360 & PS3 side alike) that keep throwing these numbers around that have been quoted.

This was taken from the now deceased Anandtech article...
    "Another way to look at this comparison of flops is to look at integer add latencies on the Pentium 4 vs. the Athlon 64. The Pentium 4 has two double pumped ALUs, each capable of performing two add operations per clock, that's a total of 4 add operations per clock; so we could say that a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 can perform 15.2 billion operations per second. The Athlon 64 has three ALUs each capable of executing an add every clock; so a 2.8GHz Athlon 64 can perform 8.4 billion operations per second. By this silly console marketing logic, the Pentium 4 would be almost twice as fast as the Athlon 64, and a multi-core Pentium 4 would be faster than a multi-core Athlon 64. Any AnandTech reader should know that's hardly the case. No code is composed entirely of add instructions, and even if it were, eventually the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 will have to go out to main memory for data, and when they do, the Athlon 64 has a much lower latency access to memory than the P4. In the end, despite what these horribly concocted numbers may lead you to believe, they say absolutely nothing about performance. The exact same situation exists with the CPUs of the next-generation consoles; don't fall for it."

Do your homework. In most cases, the above mentioned Athlon64 will easily outperform the P4 (there are benchmarks all over the net, look em up...) so what do the #'s tell us? Nothing...

19. adz13

adz13 Member

srry but no1s menchend that that in E3 the booth for ps3 was at 70% power and still 2x the power of the xbox 360 which was running at 100% power and that the ps3 rivials a super computer ( top spec at the presant)

20. WVengence

WVengence Member

I will repeat...

I'm not sure which is worse... The 360 FB's or the PS3 FB's...

Buddy, get a clue.

Now to take your silly comments apart...
    PS3 and 360 were running on alpha kits (There was no listed percentage on teh PS3, but the 360 was running around 25%). The only real thing that was of any telling value on the PS3 at E3 was Unreal Tounament 2007, which, while nice, wasn't any better than Gears of War on the 360.

As for Super Computers... IF you were to accept the FLOP rating that Sony claims and even gave into the fact that the Single Percision FLOPs used there were relevant in Super computing... THEN the PS3 would wind up in the 450's out of the top 500. However, since the super computers use Double Percision FLOPS instead (Of which the Cell is capable of 23 or so GFLOPS) it doesn't even rate as worth consideration...

Again, buddy, get a clue.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.