1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official PS3 vs. Xbox 360 vs. N. Revolution

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by solargame, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too keen on this whole Blu-Ray thing. As far as I can remember, Sony has never had much luck with proprietary media.

Anyone remember BetaMax? Or how about the MiniDisc?

Both forms of media were way too expensive and eventually were harder and harder to find (in the everyday world anyway), and it looks like they're pulling the same thing with UMD.

To be honest, I think this is all about a piracy protection more than a form of mass data storage. There aren't really that many games right now that utilize the entire contents of a DVD. I know there are some, but most of them don't need it or use dummy files to fill the disc. And DVD would definitely be a cheaper way to go.

Just throw 2 discs in the box, seems to be the fad now anyway, with all the "Special Edition" & "Limited Edition" versions of everything floating around.

2. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

It's crazy that Killzone 2 is coming out already. Seems just yesterday I was beta testing the first one.

Man how time flies.

3. Zinn

Zinn Guest

So i guess everyone agrees that the 360 wins right

4. Zinn

Zinn Guest

here's all the live facts about
    the xbox 360

The controller, the camera, the headset, the camera, and even the console itself...there have been a lot of Xbox 360 leaks so far.

Now, it seems a full list of Xbox 360 specs and Xbox Live details has been leaked. This list comes from a thread on the Team Xbox forums (the thread has since been deleted), and the TXB poster originally got it from another un-named forum.

2 types of Xbox Live:
    Xbox Live Silver (no subscription required)
    Xbox Live Gold (subscription benefits)

Features for Gold service
    (S) Also for Silver
    (O) Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
    - Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) (S)
    - Free Xbox Live weekends (S)
    - Multiplayer online gameplay
    - Motto for gamer profile (S)(O)
    - Personalized look for Xbox System Guide (S)(O)
    - Offline achievments (S)(O)
    - Online achievements (S)
    - Access to other players' Gamer cards via Live (S)
    - Cumulative gamer score (S)(O)
    - Location/language profile (S)(O)
    - Reputation (S)
    - Enahnced matchmaking using above
    - Skill level matchmaking
    - Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
    - Recent players list (S)
    - Free and premium download game content(S)
    - Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv (S)
    - Downloadable demos/trailers (S)
    - Microtransactions (S)
    - Custom playlist in every game (S)(O)
    - Play music from portable devices (S)(O)
    - View images from digital camera (S)(O)
    - Strem media from Windows XP (S)(O)
    - Interactive screen savers (S)(O)
    - Track info for CDs (S) (O)
    - Communication with voice, video or text (S)

The Hardware:
    1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
    2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
    4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
    5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
    6. Detachable 20GB drive
    7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
    - 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
    - 2 hardware threads per core
    - 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
    - 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
    - 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
    - 500 MNz
    - 10 MB embedded DRAM
    - 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
    - unified shader architecture

Memory
    -512 MB GDDR3 RAM
    - 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
    - 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    - 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    - 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
    - Mulitchannel surround sond output
    - Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
    - 320 independent decompression channels
    - 32 bit processing
    - 256+ audio channels

To sum up the important stuff regarding XBL:

There will be two versions of Xbox Live. Silver is free (everyone gets it), and Gold is a paid subscription, like the current XBL. It looks like Xbox Live will be free on the weekends for everyone; Gold members will get it all the time, obviously. Current Xbox Live accounts will carry over to the 360 and become Gold Xbox Live accounts. Both Gold and Silver members will be able to download demos, trailers, and other content through XBL.

This info seems pretty legit, and some insiders have confirmed that this is indeed a real leak.

5. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Umm, That is not leaked info. it has officially released more than a week ago. sorry :)

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Zinn: No offense, but did you read the whole topic and all its posts? If you did you would find out that specs aren't everything. XBOX360 may "win" due to it being earlier and cheaper, but you're forgetting the Sony fanboys and the casual gamers (who are no doubt rich), that prefer graphics over gameplay.

7. cmmnsense

cmmnsense Guest

I'd be willing to bet PS3 can stream media too. It has a wireless card, all you need to do is network it to the wireless router on your comp and get the software for it. Even if Microsoft decides to be asses and won't let Sony stream media through windows, someone will make new software or, even greater, hack the xbox software so it will communicate with PS3 wifi too. In reality though, Sony will just have the software for it, most likely included too. I don't think Sony will miss out on something as "important", and not that big/expensive of a technological feature/advancement. In the end, people who bought the xbox 360 and then see the PS3 months later and can't afford it are going to wonder wtf they were thinking, ask yourself if that's going to be you, have you see the actual killzone play footage? Come on, the xbox 360 videos, pre-rendered or not have nothing on the actual killzone play. Some of the killzone stuff is possibly pre-rendered according to some people, but when it goes fist person and you see just the gun, that's real bitch. And thelogue, Doom 3 for xbox does push it's full potential, entirely and still has nothing on the pc version with a real gaming graphics card. Minidisc is bigger than CD and MP3 in Japan, much bigger, it just never made it here in the U.S. And where the hell did you get those prices Zinn, no prices have been officially released. AND the xbox 360 is susposed to have a barebones game system at a cheaper rate, $300 will be closer to that version with no features.

8. 2kwic

2kwic Guest

See thats what im talking about. they said that some of killzone was real play now why in the hell would you compare 360 shit to PS3. yeah some games looked good on 360 but they all sucked to me the game play was choppy i know it's was not 100% but damn the only game that looked good playing was gears of war whatever it's called. all the games ps3 presented i will play the hell out of them. Sorry xbox fans but ps3 has this one

9. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

why is everyone having a fuss over what the vids look like, pre-rendered or not, ALL of the games on both systems are running off of Alpha systems, not Beta systems, Alpha systems. So the true look of the games is not near there yet.

10. r3ds0x

r3ds0x Guest

HEY 2kwic, get a little closer so i can smack the fusk out of you. all you sonylovers are the same. directly attacking the vids. get some real info to compare with the xbox 360 and i might listen to your crap.

11. 2kwic

2kwic Guest

O i see a lil noob got an attitude prob. with me hey you lil trick that is info form E305 bitch if you watched it then you would know. don't get on here talking shit man you can't see me. that is my opinon you don't have to read this shit get the hell off here if you can't take the heat.O im sorry I must have hit a nerve cause the lil Girl got mad lol

Stupid noob get a life

12. theLogue

theLogue Guest

God damn it people...VIDEOS...who gives a shit. http://www.majornelson.com theres some reality for you..im sure the ps3 will be an awesome dvd player you fusks. Honestly the cell isnt even done...how the fusk are they gonna show actual in game shit. God damn use your fusking brain and dont just follow what people are saying because you WISH it were true. Yeah it would be great if the 360 actually could push 1 teraflop but that will NEVER happen and sony will NEVER push 2..they will never push 1 either. These numbers represent these systems just running tests..not games.. floating point proccessing is only about 10-30 of the processes that a game will use..that alone makes the ps3 a fusking waste.

13. 2kwic

2kwic Guest

Who in the hell is major nelson does he work for MS or Playstation if not then i could care less. All im sayin is that ps3 is going to have better games don't care about how many xbox is going to have when it come out you see xbox might have the same games as PC so why waste the money. you know some thing fusk it just wait till they come out then we'll see.As for now xbox suck

14. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Damn, and I thought I had a problem with Sony. Sounds like theLogue's mother had a bad Walkman experience.

15. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Well i would say FOR NOW, ps3 seems to be a lot better...

16. theLogue

theLogue Guest

Alright i understand why some people might say that it seems better right now. Its just ridiculous how everyone is trying to say that its so much more powerful..it really doesnt matter a whole lot to me. I would just buy whichever one is the most capable but its just frustrating how ridiculously obvious it is that the PS3 is not a beast at all..its about the same as 360 if anything. Lets ONLY judge the games from now on that would make more sense.

BTW Major Nelson works with M$ these numbers arent pulled out of nowhere...but wait let me guess...M$ is lying and Sony isn't..haha time for a new neverending thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2005
  17. solargame

solargame Regular member

hey guys, cut down on the language the mods might close it like they did the psp vs. ds thread.

18. solargame

solargame Regular member

BTW thelogue
    that major nelson shit is nearly all wrong. they just need to hire a person who loves technology and hates video games to sum it all up.

19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

AtariBorn & cmmnsense,

Be nice ... no need for the language.

Everybody have a discussion like an adult. I'm not giving another warning.

We don't need two :) Use this thread. Title changed.

20. Zinn

Zinn Guest

Xbox's graphic engine will be better than the ps3's in a few months after the 360 comes out

It's an overall better system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.