1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Spanglish Thread

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jerry746, Apr 5, 2005.

1. memfrican

memfrican Member

dvdripdvd, you are right and i completely agree with you. jmet, stop instigating the situation by fighting with someone who is trying to help others. dvdrip, i used your method and it worked for me as well. after i used decryptor to put it on my hd, i tried using shrink to no avail, however when 'clicking' on the "Compress video with high quality adapative error compensation" it worked for me as well. Good post. jmet, lay off man. :)

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

congrats memfrican. finally someone who understands. Hitch is another "Sony" dvd so expect the usual of dummy sectors added during ripping.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

"Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" is a "Quality" setting which is intended to improve quality for larger movies where compression errors occurr. As many people said Shrink was a superior app before this feature, one is left wondering what problem you could be having other than compression related problems. So, what problems was this feature supposed to have solved, other than possible skipping and other compression related errors? (Just a note, even before the "Quality" settings option, Shrink would work well at moderate to high compression levels.)

Before we have a disagreement over what is being said, let's make sure we're on the same track, not just arguing for arguments sake.
    We all have the right to state our findings and to disagree or agree. That is the significance of the forum. It isn't nice to be rude, but disagreeing isn't rude unless one is trying to start a "flamer". The mods are the only ones with the power to say layoff. So, if one is having a problem with what is being said, call a mod. You have the selection to report an offensive post.

My position on this is that the "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" is a "Quality" setting and the only problems it solves are compression related ones relating to picture quality and the skipping errors caused by high compression. Most movies done with movie only can easily be done without the "Quality" settings in use. Also, unless the size is near 7GB and above, movies can be done without the setting, though picture quality might suffer a bit. The big blockbusters like LOTR: Return of the King are where this setting shines.

So, dvdripdvd and memfrican, if the setting is the only way you can do certain movies (shouldn't be the case with all movies, especially smaller ones), is that due to compression errors? If that is the case, then I think everyone is in agreement. If not, what problem is this setting supposed to be correcting? If we need to get into a technical discussion on Shrink, there is a section devoted specifically to all things Shrink. We can take the discussion there where all the Shrink experts can lend their expertise.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

I noticed mention of dummy sectors, which is a matter of encryption. "Quality" settings have nothing to do with encryption. As I said, if you doubt my word, check with the folks in the Shrink section. Note the dummy sectors are in the original and those play well on the standalone players. The bad sector encryption is there to stop the recording process. By the time the backup comes to the portion of the recording process where "Quality" settings are invoked, the bad sector encryption has already been broken, or should have been. Both DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD have been excellent at overcoming the problem if Shrink faltered.

5. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

i sense the chucky question is going to go on for a long time. back to Spanglish!

dummy sectors being added meaning dummy sectors being added during the use of DVD Decrypter.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

Actually Spanglish has pretty much run its course. It wasn't an overly difficult movie to backup. Some people have problems with most any movie. This thread can venture off to other topics, Spanglish problems fall under general problems run into with other movies and usually just a matter of proper decryption.

There are so many variables involved with doing a recording, most people don't realize what is involved for everything to work right. You have the source with its encryption. You have the DVD ROM that reads the source with its firmware. Then you have the physical condition of both the ROM and the source. From there you go on to the recorder (burner), it's firmware. Then you get into the PC, the operating system and the software. All that has to be compatible and believe me, there has been many a problem from just these. Then you have the industry coming up with newer encryption systems. Luckily, so far the software developers have kept the decryption software working better than the encryption. Unfortunately, we have lost some of the freeware development. DVD Decrypter was just stopped being updated. Lightning UK no longer is going to keep up its support. However, it should be good for some time. Shrink is already feeling some obsolescence. But DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD has helped considerably and Shrink has remained viable even though it is no longer being updated.

So, if you want to discuss Chucky, we can probably do that, though starting a Chucky thread might have been more appropriate. Getting into a more detailed discussion on Shrink would be more appropriate in the Shrink section. If you go either way, post the link to the new thread here so we can keep track of where the discussion goes.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

If by that you are implying that the "Quality" settings somehow help process dummy sectors, then I become a bit dubious. As I mentioned, those settings were intended to alleviate compression related issues. So in processing the dummy sectors, those settings do no more than in processing the other files included in the movie.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

dvdripdvd
    BTW, I'm not disagreeing with your choice to use the "Quality" settings in doing your movie. If you're willing to invest the extra time, it's a good choice. It gives superior picture quality when compression is involved. However, I suspect your improvements are from the better transcoding of the movie files and not the processing of bad sectors.
    I believe compression flaws is what your own quote is indicative of and not just processing dummy sectors.

9. jmet

jmet Regular member

My point exactly brobear! Using AEC makes no difference what so ever if you are or aren't successful in backing up a movie. AEC is for quality purposes only! Hence why it is on the "Quality Settings" tab in DVD Shrink.

I am a DVD Shrink expert. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/member.php?u=12756

10. brobear

brobear Guest

There is more to the "Quality" settings than just picture quality. As I tried to point out, there are some functional aspects involved with the integrity of the transcoded video. Skipping and jumping problems are a compression issue as well as video quality. To that degree, AEC does help in creating a more functional output. "Quality" settings could have just as easily been named "Compression" settings. At low compression, the "Quality" settings aren't needed.

11. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

as a movie is being shrinked, errors may occur during that time. you should try to rip chucky right now and see if it works on shrink with no "extra" settings checked to see what you get. the dummy sectors and quality settings are two totally different conversations. the quailty settings I was describing were for seed of chucky while the dummy sectors were for Hitch.

12. memfrican

memfrican Member

Look, if you hav't tried to rip seed of chucky, then you wouldn't know. When trying to shrink seed of chucky (around 8 gb), the program will stop and halt and won't let you go any further. When this occurs with most dvd's i try to rip, the obvious solution I turn to is to decrypt the dvd using dvd decryptor, then shrink the file that is on my harddrive. This works almost all the time, however when I tried this on seed of chucky, it would give me the same error as if i shrinking the movie straight from the DVD. So, then I logged on here and did a search for seed of chucky, and this was the only post about it (at the time), so I read what dvdrip said and BAM! it friggn worked. So, whatever problems you may or maynot have with the way he is encoding the movie is your problem. He was just posting a solution to what was transpiring when trying to rip this PARTICULAR movie. So, 'nuff said. He found a work around to the problem, and if that means adding an extra hour and half to my encoding process, then so be it. As long as I have the movie now. And dvdrip, I will try to remember this resolution if this problem occurs with Hitch. Thanks for your suggestions. Keep on rockn' dude! Late.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad it "friggn worked" for you. But the Seed of Chucky disc at 8GB would normally suffer from compression errors and not decryption errors. Just the size is a problem for most transcoding apps. So, the "Quality" (compression) settings would be very advantagous for this large video.

When discussing errors it is nice to know what they are/were. memfrican, what error was it you were getting? Just so we know if it was something to do with a fault in normal transcoding or compression related. Most of us that know how to use Shrink would automatically go with AEC when it comes to a disc this large (8GB). It would be sort of silly to not use it since that was the reason for inclusion of AEC in the new Shrink version. If it was a movie I cared much about, I'd use RB/CCE with the source ripped with DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD if needed. At compression levels that high, RB with CCE does a superior job, I wouldn't even use Shrink. But then, not everyone is aware of RB/CCE. Now that you are, give it a try and you'll see what I mean. The Rockas installer makes the installation so easy, anyone can do it now, or should.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgive me for being so slow. Seems this is just another of those silly disagreements over semantics. Chucky is 8GB. Naturally AEC is supposed to be used. dvdripdvd and memfrican, thank you for reminding us of what should already be known by all Shrink users; when the compression gets high, use the Quality (compression) settings to get a better backup. That has been one of the big points being made since the last version with AEC, surprising you guys are just learning about this. Version 3.2.0.14 of DVD Shrink has been available since July of 2004. As mentioned, the AEC is supposed to "friggn work" at high compression.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2005
  15. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

im going "friggn" crazy!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  16. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

chucky has ruined the heart of man.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  17. brobear

brobear Guest

Regret the psychological distress. I should have mentioned for those who may stumble across this thread; due to DVD Shrink not being updated since July '04, it is becoming obsolete where decryption work is concerned. DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD have been helpful when encryption errors occurr with the newer encryption systems like ARccOS and the bad sector structural encryption. Unfortunately, as mentioned, DVD Decrypter has now fallen. However DVDD should be good to use for some time. Afterall, it's almost a year later and we're still using Shrink. There's still AnyDVD and others for decrypting and a lot of apps can copy the decrypted files to the HD, including Shrink.

18. .//bodom

.//bodom Guest

Neph says I need to better the world by sitting in a tub of gasoline and torching myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

@bodom, I would edit your post and get rid of the IPOD link. That subject is frowned upon here at AD. IPOD has been added to the 4 letter BAD word list around here. Take this as a friendly warning.

Jerry

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@.//bodom - erm.... looks like you've been posting that same stuff on quite a few of the forums here today....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005