1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ogg to mp3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sljiva, Apr 1, 2005.

1. sljiva

sljiva Member

Hey everyone. Here's the question: I have a lot of 96kbps ogg files which i used to encode into 128 kbps mp3. I was wondering if i could get better quality if i encode (oggs) into 192 or vbr mp3, and will this change be hearable? (Excuse me for my english). THX

2. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

You cannot increase the kbps of any file. When you re-encoded them at the very best you would have only gotten a 96kbps MP3 file. To go directly from one lossy encoding to another lossy encoding is never a good idea. You loss sound quality. I can't explain this in detail, but I've read this many times on this forum. Maybe someone else can explain it in detail for you, or maybe how you can convert from 0gg to MP3 without to much quality loss.

3. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

If you convert to WAV then to MP3 you will not lose much quality. You will lose some though. But no it will never sound better than it already sounds, you will only lose quality every time you encode it.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Excellent advice Repoman89 you shall be a Jr. Member very soon!

Digidave, your also correct in every way. But to elaborate, when a conversion from lossy to lossy is made you loose sound quality. Sound quality isn't lost just because your re-commpressing compressed data but because the audio samples are being reduced to half of what they originally where. Because of this there will be artifacts in the new file that where not pressent in the previous one.

By converting to WAV (or a lossless format) You restore a common ground. Going from lossy to lossless to lossy will produce a file close to that of the original (depending on bit-rate). But not as good as the original source (CD, DVD, ect...)!

Ced