1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OGM and DivX help

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by unexist, Jul 18, 2007.

1. unexist

unexist Guest

Ok, so I have a bunch of files with the .ogm extension that I want to convert into DivX format. I don't know much about encoding, decoding etc. but I suspect that the video is Xvid and the audio is vorbis. I want this to play on my Dvd player which support divx.

This is what I want to know.

How do I check which codecs are used for this ogm file?

If its xvid for video and vorbis for audio, what do I need to do with the audio or video to get it to play in my divx dvd player?

If you know what I need to do, how do I do it? What software do I need ? etc.. Is there freeware for this?

Also, I know c++ pretty well, where can I find some source or extensive documentation for encoders and decoders and exactly how they work if I wanted to make my own player or converter?

Thanks for your help in advance ..

P.S. I have virtualdub and winavi.. not sure what i'm doing with them though.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Tobias' (creator of OGM) source is available from Xiph. He lost the source for the last filters released, so it is from a few revisions earlier. That I guess is as close as you get to official source. Based on the ogg format though which you can get specs, etc. from Xiph. Also plenty of other opensource tools for dealing with ogm's.

For the player all you should need to do is remux to an avi container with mp3 audio. This you can do fairly easily, including batch processing with mencoder. For DivX media format though you would want to batch demux, re-encode audio to mp3, then use divxmux to batch mux with subs, etc. You can use ogmdemuxer for demuxing.

3. unexist

unexist Guest

Can't find mencoder anywhere and still not sure what I need it for. I get the whole demuxing and remuxing business but what can I use to convert vorbis ogg into mp3?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well the point of mencoder is that you can do something like: mencoder -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -o out.avi input.ogm -mc 0 -vf harddup
    remuxing to avi and re-encoding the audio in one go. Also as I said it is easy to batch process: for %%f in (*.ogm) DO (mencoder.exe ....

5. unexist

unexist Guest

Ok, where can I get mencoder then and where can I get an audio tool that'll let me convert from vorbis to mp3?

6. unexist

unexist Guest

Nevermind, I got it, but still not quite sure how this works. The documentation is pretty crappy and full of technical jargon. I'm not too uncomfortable with technical crap nor am I an idiot, but to somebody who doesn't know what they're doing with encoding, its as if it was written in a different language. It would have been nice if the commands were in english instead of having cryptic abbreviations. In either case, where can I find a list of commands? Does a list like this exist?

I understand the command you gave but the batching part makes no sense to me, care to elaborate in layman's terms?

Can somebody provide an example of the batching command to accomplish what I need to do?

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

for %%f in (*.ogm) DO (mencoder.exe-o "%%~nf.avi" -oac mp3lame -ovc copy "%%f")
    Basically loads all ogm's then parses the command with %%f as the ogm file. %%~nf is the input file, minus the extension, so you get output avi's with the same name.

Official mencoder docs @ http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html#docs

For info on the for command run for /?