1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh dear god help me. Swapped a harddrive and now the computer just makes a buzz/beeping sound!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by billybob, Sep 28, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps but only if there's something wrong with the chipset, that's no BIOS code I've ever heard.

2. billybob

billybob Regular member

Fabulous. Joes computer has a completely unique disease.

:p

Thanks for your help guys ill try start it up without the memory tomorrow.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You don't mean from the one or two systems that you've actually worked on do you?

I realize that I've only had my hands in dozens of computers in the last 6 months or so, but beeps are a pretty common memory test. So anytime one hears beeping when powering on, memory should be a logical baseline.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Admittedly. I'll email you the file billybob sent me to your yahoo Hubert, and take a listen for yourself.

5. ERICKO200

ERICKO200 Member

ok.. ill try to help, make chure the colored cable on the ide cable is closest to the power cable. in other words, power always goes to pin one, depending on the ide cable on either side of the cable there will be one that is a different collor make shur that one is on the same side and the power connector that goes to the hdd.

I beg to differ, i filmed a video on my cell of a hdd squealing like a pig right before it died.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect the drive's data cable to see if pc posts.

7. billybob

billybob Regular member

Sorry ddp could u say that again differently please?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

He means unplug the data cable for the drive (the big ribbon one) and then see if the PC will show something on the screen. Posting is when the PC makes it to the BIOS screen with all the numbers, even if for whatever reason it won't boot windows. If it doesn't post, you'll just see a black screen.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I should have cleared up one small caveat, I was referring to a motherboard warning which it does not have for the hard drive. I too have heard grinding noises made by either a dead or dying hard drive. It usually takes the form of grinding noises or a repetitious knocking noise, but never a motherboard beep.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've sent you the file Soph, have a listen and see what you think.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Sounds like a system fan. Perhaps a wire is brushing one.

billybob

Check your wiring to see if all your fans are running and if any wires are touching a fan. Verify that the noise is coming from your hard drive, if it is not then redo your wiring.

Sam

I didn't hear any high pitched beeps, just a repetitions noise that sounds like a fan. It doesn't quite sound like any hard drive failure that I've heard but its metallic in sound so it could be.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's it.
    I've trapped lots of wires in fans before trough my clumsiness, but they never sounded like that. I agree it's a possibility though. The sound does indeed sound like a hard drive. Thing is billybob tells me when he unplugs the hard drive the noise stops...

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It sounded very much like a fan brushing a wire to me. It sounds like whatever is making the noise doesn't have much mass, a sort of hollow sound if you will. The hollow sounds could of course be caused by the inside of the case acting as a resonator which is then picked up by the mic. If it is the hard drive it is a simple matter to listen to where the sound is coming from while the system is starting to verify the source.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The sound pattern is consistent, it comes in surges with the same audible frequencies and repeated patterns.

Later!

15. billybob

billybob Regular member

Sophocles, sam.

I unplug the harddrive...the sound stops, but still get no signal on the monitor. Just says "check input signal"

But the sound stops.

The sound is definately coming from the harddrive, i put my ear right next to it.

Let me take this oppurtunity to thank you guys for all the effort your putting in :D

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

billybob

Try another hard drive and see what happens. I have also heard video card fans make similar noises as well when the card goes bad; it kind of revs up and then repeats the cycle over and over, but at this point the one thing that we can be certain of is that something that is spinning made that noise.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem. All I can say is the hard disk sounds faulty, but if the PC doesn't POST without it (you did unplug both cables right?) then it may not be the only issue.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The problem that leads me to think that it might be something other than the hard drive is the sound of winding up and down in a repeated pattern. I had a similar problem and sound pattern when I tried to use a 600 watt supply with my E6700 system. I resolved it as you know by adding a 750 Watt power supply.

I also got that effect when I was building my E6600 system which turned out to be a memory voltage issue with the Corsair memory I used which was common with the Gigabyte DS3 board. I resolved it using a generic stick of memory to go into CMOS and increase the memory voltage and then reinstall my stick and the problem was resolved.

In both cases the winding up and down sound came from graphic cards and system fans along with inadequate voltage or Voltage settings. Whether this is affecting billybob is difficult to say, he will have to eliminate as many variables as possible to isolate his problem.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's something to consider, the PC doesn't exactly look brand new, and the power supply isn't going to have a high rating. It looks like a standard hp-compaq system from the case.

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Very very good sam! U got that just from the case!

Sophocles, thank you very much for that, i will check the whole of the inside thoroughly tomorrow after school.

howoever dude....if one of the things u just said was the case, would the noise still come from the harddrive?