1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh good, I killed my 6700

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Jake., Mar 14, 2005.

1. Jake.

Jake. Member

Jeez what a dumbass.
    I've been having a lot of problems playing DivX movies on my Yamada 6700, the movies would go out of sync with the soundtrack if I paused it or used FF/RW. So I did a Google and found this site. From reading a few threads it seemed like a firmware update might be worth a shot. I downloaded a firmware from http://mtz.softpedia.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&Itemid=4
    burned it to CD and put it in the 6700
    "Push PLAY to upgrade" it said, so I did.
    Then it ejected the CD and displayed "LOADING" on the display. So I waited
    .... and I waited
    .... and I went and made a coffee
    and I came back to find it still said "LOADING" on the display.
    I'd read of other folks killing their players by not waiting but surely I'd left it long enough (or so I thought) So after a while I rebooted the player...
    and now it's dead of course!

Did I do something wrong or is this Firmware Upgrade business a bit of a gamble?
    Should I have left it 30mins or what? At what point do you give up waiting for the display to change from "LOADING" ?
    I'm not keen to buy another Yamada 6700 if it has the same playback issues and the same problems updating the firmware.

Any advice from you guy that know about this stuff?

Thanks
    --
    Jake.

2. sarb2001

sarb2001 Member

Sorry for your loss, I am not sure if this is the main cause, but always try to take a firmware ONLY from the OFFICIAL SITE of the producer.

Now you have to go with your player to some Service Center. I think it is the only way to solve this problem.

3. ramarr

ramarr Guest

Jake you should have removed the cd from the tray after it got ejected. It's a necessary step to complete the firmware update process. By leaving the cd in the tray you just started the whole process all over again. Yes you killed your player but an expert can revive it back easily. Like sarb said take it to a Service Center. And about unofficial firmware for Yamada, well it often works way better than the oficial releases ;) Just check forums and reviews for feedback, before installing anything.

4. Jake.

Jake. Member

I did remove the CD before the tray went back into the machine.
    I don't know of any Yamada service centres in the south of England. How can I find one of these experts who can easily revive my machine from a failed flashing?

5. ramarr

ramarr Guest

Sorry can't help you finding an expert, I live in continental Europe. But failed flashing is a very common occurrance with Yamadas here and it's keeping slovenian servicers in business. ;-) Maybe you should check the official Umax/Yamada page and contact the distributor.
    http://www.umax.co.uk/

6. peterpan1

peterpan1 Member

7. icp1

icp1 Guest

well this kid is a dumbass
    avise: throw it away

8. Jake.

Jake. Member

ICP1
    errr,
    1, I'm not a kid, I'm 39!
    2, I can spell the words "advice" and/or "advise", unlike you, you fuckwit.
    3, It can be fixed if if I can get hold of the right cable to update the firmware.
    so . . . .
    4, FOAD

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Jake,

No need to stoop to his/her level ... next time PM a mod.

10. Jake.

Jake. Member

Sorry Flip,
    I was a bit disappointed to have an unhelpful reply like that one. I'm still hoping to get this 6700 fixed if I can obtain the right cable.

11. simm1701

simm1701 Guest

Just done the same thing here.

I'm not a novice with firmware flashing so happyly left it going expecting it to finally work ok. I had followed the steps, removed the cd after it was ejected, saw the screen go blank and loading displayed on the lcd.

After 30 min or so still nothing so I hard powered it off and oilla dead box.

Not impressed at all

12. Jake.

Jake. Member

Hi Simm,
    I managed to fix mine in the end. I borrowed a modified phone cable from another guy who posted that he'd fixed his.

Drop me an email to Jake post your email address again and your gone and I'll give you the guy's email address. Maybe he'll lend you the cable too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  13. flip218

Jake. .... nice try ... but no posting emails :)

14. appolospb

appolospb Member

Jake

I did the same thing to my brand new Yamada 6700 (2 days old). I followed the instructions on Yamadas site to the letter yet still the update killed my player. I think the update process is defintely a gamble and isnt always caused by user error.

1. Inserted update disc
    2. Pressed "play" to perform upgrade, message upgrading appeared
    3. disc was ejected, i then removed the upgrade cd
    4. player restarted itself automatically

Voila, blank screen and dead player

My advice would be to anyone with a Yamada player:

DONT UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE!

15. Jake.

Jake. Member

Huh? What's the problem with me posting my own email address to help another poster? I don't understand why you'd have a problem with that. what's the deal?
    :confused:

16. flip218

Time to read the forum rules.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  17. Wam7

Wam7 Member

After reading this I purchased a 6700 and flashed it successfully to the New Age V3a firmware. Packed Bitstream files are now playing wonderfully like everything else. A lot of other major improvements over the V1 firmware that came with the player.

It is almost a necessity to upgrade the firmware on this player to get the most out of it. To do this without killing off your new player I recommend...

Reset to default settings
    Burn to a fresh CD-R, with lowest possible burn speed, use Track-At-Once not Disc-At-Once & Finalize CD.
    Use Nero CD/DVD-Speed Disc Quality check to make sure there are no errors at all on your CD.

This is the firmware I used. Dated 5th May 2005.
    http://newage.mpeg4-players.info/yamada/6700/NAv3/custom/Yamada6700_NewAge_v3_CP1252.rar

18. Wam7

Wam7 Member

After reading this I purchased a 6700 and flashed it successfully to the New Age V3a firmware. Packed Bitstream files are now playing wonderfully like everything else. A lot of other major improvements over the V1 firmware that came with the player.

It is almost a necessity to upgrade the firmware on this player to get the most out of it. To do this without killing off your new player I recommend...

Reset to default settings
    Burn to a fresh CD-R, with lowest possible burn speed, use Track-At-Once not Disc-At-Once & Finalize CD.
    Use Nero CD/DVD-Speed Disc Quality check to make sure there are no errors at all on your CD.

This is the firmware I used. Dated 5th May 2005.
    http://newage.mpeg4-players.info/yamada/6700/NAv3/custom/Yamada6700_NewAge_v3_CP1252.rar

19. damillz

damillz Member

Hi

I have downloaded the newage firmware and I understand it all except, what is the difference between "Type A" and "Type B". I can't find reference to it anywhere!

TIA

20. Wam7

Wam7 Member

Cant check properly as on my SE P900 but IIRC type A can play PBS xvid files but has the NTSC bug. Type B is the opposite and has another fix I think. The info is there, cos that is where I found it!