1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OHMS ? AMPS !!? SPEAKERS !!!??

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Wilbow, Apr 28, 2007.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Your team should lose more often; you'd have a whole house full of goodies!

2. ThELiZ

ThELiZ Member

Hi everyone. Thank heavens i found this thread, this is my first post and i found this topic on google. I'd really like some hel, my problem is the other way around, i have a pair of JBL speakers that are 6 ohms and i'm looking to buy a new amp for them, i was looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A amp which says it's an 8 ohm amp. i'm confused! will this be ok?

Oh and wilbow, it seems we have a few things in common, just a little bit round the wrong way, i support Man Utd so thanks for losing to give us the title (down with Chelsea!). I also own that tv you have just bought, but the 32 inch version, and i am also confused about this ohm business! :)

3. JVC

JVC Active member

6 ohm speakers, with an 8 ohm receiver, should be ok.............

4. ThELiZ

ThELiZ Member

Thanks. I must of missed that one. I'm so new to this and i'm just hoping i get it right.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Theliz .... welcome to afterdawn guy (or girl lol)! Lots of good people and a lot to learn.

6. ThELiZ

ThELiZ Member

cheers gerry. and just for the record i am a guy, one who knows very little about ohms! lol. I think i should stick to what i know, computers. :)

Can't wait to get my system up and running.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It's like JVC said ... two ohms won't make a difference ... well, not much anyway. Just make sure your receiver is in a more open space; ventilation is important because the 6 ohm might make it put out a little more heat but in no way is it hot enough to damage the receiver; just don't put it in a place that's all boxed in.

@JVC ,,, how are my friend?

8. JVC

JVC Active member

Hey gerry........
    Ok here. Just hanging in there. :eek:)

9. ThELiZ

ThELiZ Member

Thanks for the replies. Good job i posted because i was going to stack the cd player on top of the receiver. Now i know to keep it well ventilated.

Cheers.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@wilbow and theliz ... it NEVER a good idea to put something on your receiver and check your DVD player also, some of them (not all) also put out heat.

11. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Hi all,
    glad my thread is generating a bit of interest, I have just won a bag of capacitors for 99p off ebay, so if I'm lucky there will be a couple of what I need. I quite like soldering so no problem there, its just if the circuit board is goosed it'll all be a waste of time.
    I know about the heat dissapation thing, I bought a big black glass stand to go with the setup, I got plenty of room around the amp, the PS3 also blows out quite a bit of heat too.
    The guy who sold me the amp claims it was working ok when he sent it, so no joy there.

Cheerio for now.

12. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Hi guys, I have given up on the Marantz amp, getting hold of some of the large capacitors that I think are bust is hard. Still trying to get my money back for it.
    So I splashed out on a new Sony one, the one I mentioned earlier. Its superb, coupled with the PS3 and the Mission speakers their superb too, watched 'Deja Vu' in bluray on it last night, brilliant.

Cheerio for now.

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Wilbow....congratulations! It's nice to listen to music or watch movies on a system that works properly, isn't it? One doesn't get enough relaxation in this world; you might as well get the most out of it!

14. genus67

genus67 Member

Manuals are really helpful; though sometimes, they are hard to understand and we need a person to explain things to us. You should be thankful to gerry1, Wilbow. :D

15. techquest

techquest Member

Hi Wilbow

I'm a newbie to this site but not to electronics and amps etc.

Got to see the pics you posted and the items could very well be disc type caps, but there are other electornic components that look much the same, and possibly an axial type cap, difficult to see it though as it appears blown. They look as though they are around a bridge rectifier which forms part of the power supply. They could just be decoupling & filter caps or there abouts. The issue is these items are not that difficult to get a hold of. You just need to identify them, they might have markings still visible, or from a circuit diagram. The components in question should have the individual componet id's on the PCB, since the diodes, for instance, are clearly marked.

That aside it looks to me from the state of the PCB, as far as I can make out from the pics, that it has been subjected to damage caused by some sort of fluid spillage or moisture.

Little wonder the eBayer has vanished, all the way to the pub me thinks!

Anyway if I can help at all I will.

Cheers

16. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Hi Techquest,

Thanks for taking an interest, I replaced the burnt out small caps but the amp still switched off. There are two large capacitors that I think are faulty also, there is white goo at the bottom of them that i thought was just adhesive at first, now I'm not so sure. I have found some large capacitors on ebay that are the same rating ( 63v 15000uF), but they are double the size, I dont now whether to gamble on them or just quit now and not throw good money on bad.

Cheerio for now

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  17. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@genus67 and techquest ... welcome to afterdawn guys! There are a lot of really nice people here as well as some really knowledgable ones. There is plenty to learn on any number of topics and if you have knowledge in a particular subject, help is always appreciated for those asking questions. When I first came here, I didn't know squat but I learnt an aweful lot and now enjoy sharing what I've learnt depending on how much time I have. We help out in the forums after which, many of us go to the "safety valve" were we just talk about specific topics or just play and joke around. Techquest, if you choose to stick around, your electronis knowledge will be invaluable.

@Wilbow ... how are you my friend? You're still happy with the new system I hope? There is always a lot to learn when you get a new AVR. You know, there is one thing I think I forgot to mention. With a lot of AVRs, you have to manually activate the microprocessors to really appreciate the features of the amp. Its amazing how many people don't even realize it; because their system sounds so good they aren't even aware that their system and the effects aren't performing as they should. Genus67 is right about manuals ... sometimes they're difficult to understand but they're ALWAYS boring LOL! If you haven't done so, check the manual to see if the microprocessors have to be manually activated.

18. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Hi Gerry,
    I'm fine and still loving the new kit, I bought a sub the other day, a GALE SUB 10, but to be honest I think its a little heavy for my house, I got used to the Mission speakers and I thought they delivered enough bass anyway, I can listen to them quite loud without them shaking the walls, but with the sub connected I can feel the vibes through the floor, and I reckon the neighbours will too! Love watching my fav Depeche Mode DVD 'DEVOTIONAL' Its like I'm there again.

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Wilbow...it takes a bit of a knack and experimenting to get your sub right but you really needn't annoy your neighbors to appreciate it. You should have two control knobs on your sub. Set the lowpass knob where you're not putting through the "higher notes" of the frequency response ... there should be numbers around the knob ... since your speakers are considered bookshelf and not sats, set the knob the the "lower numbers" to let only the deeper frequencies through. Experiment with the lower numbers some and just keep the other knob, the "volume" or also called the "level" knob low. You can still get a really appreciable "richness" to the bass without having to rattle the floors and walls. Actually, that's how a sub SHOULD be set. The sub should add a certain richness and fullness to the sound, NOT DOMINATE IT! A sub should be seen but not heard. You really don't have to rattle everything and annoy your neighbors to get a natural fullness and richness to the sound which will be really noticible and pleasing to the ear without disturbing anyone. Its a matter of simply setting it properly...it should be a richer and fuller sound, but not "bottom heavy"

Edit: Also, if its a bottom firing sub, either buy or make a little stand for it that takes it four inches or so off the floor. You don't want something like a thick solid piece of wood as it will defeat the purpose. Just something like a piece of 1 inch plywood cut to the size of the sub with four feet for the corners to elevate it.

Edit #2 LOL! In your receiver's "speaker setup menu", there should be three options: 1) off/on 2) LFE + Main 3) LFE

Obviously, you want it on LOL! But since you have bookshelf and not sats, try choosing just the LFE option which will put only the effects through then try LFE + Main which will put the effects in as well as the very lowest frequencies of the mains (fronts) ... see which you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  20. techquest

techquest Member