1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OHMS ? AMPS !!? SPEAKERS !!!??

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Wilbow, Apr 28, 2007.

1. techquest

techquest Member

Hi Wilbow

Sounds like the gue is from the caps blowing and maybe this is all due to a failure in the power supply. I assume they are radial, they stand upright, as opposed to axial which lie down for want of a better description. At 63v the must be electrolytics, they are polarised and must be the correct way round in the circuit.Do you have any numbers on the caps? They could have failed as a result of the diodes failing though.

If you had a circuit diagram reference or exact model number then maybe I can help. Not knowing your experience though I would point out the danger of working in this area 240v AC stepped down to a lower level and converted to DC volatage.

If I can help let me know.

Cheers for now.

2. techquest

techquest Member

Hi Gerry1

Thanks for your message and yes I intend to stay around. Its always good to talk with others, no matter what their knowledge level. We can all learn something new.

Will help wherever I can on the electronics front, tube amps are one of my speacilist areas but any electronics is fine by me. As is anything IT, Telecoms and Networks, but guess they would be another forum.

Sorry for my post of Wilbows message by the way. Guess a newbie can make a simple mistake now and then.

Good talking.

Cheers for now.

3. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Hi All,
    Its been a while but there have been a couple of developments over the last few days, I got nowhere with Paypal in trying to get my money back, they ruled in my favour and said I could return the item at my cost, but they couldnt guarantee recovering all my money. I treid to bargain with the tosser that I bought it from, I asked for a half refund of £30 and I would try and sell the item as faulty on Ebay to recoup as much as I could. He declined saying 'No, just return it'. There didnt seem any point returning it at a cost of around £20 if I would get less back!
    Anyway, I'm sat here typing feeling a little pleased with myself, I managed to source some large capacitors from Ebay, I have just soldered them in and it works !!! WOOHOO!

Have added some pics.

http://marantz-amp.mypicgallery.com

Thanks to all who took an interest and offered advice.

Cheerio for now.