1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, do I really need to install Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LDee, Jun 26, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

Setting up a pc for a family member at the moment and this person is keen to get vista on it (doh, as I've already installed xp pro). The main reason they cite is Directx 10 and being able to play dx 10 games, which is apparently exclusive to vista. They have bought a dx10 graphics card and want to put it to good use.

Now, I've heard something about DirectX 9 L, or something, which will basically be dx 10 but for xp. What I want to do is not install Vista, but be able to play Dx10 games and get the most out of the graphics card in normal usage of the os. Can I get away with this in XP? Is using a dx 10 graphics card in xp a waste?

Thanks.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It's their PC, let them have what they want.

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Let them play with Vista all they want... but in reality, all of us are at least 6 to 12 months from seeing anything stable from Vista, games that use DirectX 10...or any quality sound drivers for Vista that we still have in XP.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I had a newer thought, which I think over-rides my earlier one, namely, "the person who pays for the OS gets to decide".

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

If it were the case that without Vista they could still get best use out of their dx10 graphics card at this present time, they would be happier to have xp. (None of the games they are playing at present or want to play are dx10, but they believe they will want to play future dx10 releases)

6. 21Q

21Q Regular member

7. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for that, good to know!