1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok I am totally lost after 4 days........

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by starlynn, May 26, 2007.

1. starlynn

starlynn Guest

I have been trying for 4 days and alot of lost stuff (I somehow managed to delete everything in my documents folder????) but I finally downloaded a movie and burned it to DVD with the burner I installed.Holy crap!!!!! that was hard. It is the totally wrong movie that got burnt????
    I downloaded The Queen and The River of no Return from u torrent.That went ok.Then I downloaded DVD Flick & Img burn. I wanted to see if these were different than Nero or better. I have no idea whether they would be ,as I have nothing to compare it to & no idea what I did??? I know what you all are thinking....she's really blonde???OK a bit but tech savy NOT!!! Could you tell???
    Anyway....I followed the steps to the letter.It asked me what movie and where it is found and the only one that came up was the Queen.Thats what I put in when it asked for add the title.
    It went through the whole process 6 oe seven steps I believe that took like 7 hours....and it plays well on the computer but when I put it in to the DVD player for the home theater system it does nothing.I can hear you snickering.....
    of course it wouldnt play on the DVD its not even the right movie for goodness sake!!!!
    But......where did I go wrong???? Hey at least I managed to get some of it right.
    Any help would be sooooooo appreciated.
    Thanks,

Star*

2. attar

attar Senior member

What type of file was downloaded.Was it an AVI file?
    What were the steps and software used to get it on to a DVD?

3. starlynn

starlynn Guest

yes it was an avi file
    I down loaded DVD flick and followed the instructions .it asked me to add the movie I wanted and from which folder and the one that I added was the queen.
    It went through the whole process of encoding the audio files and video files then combining them,then something about authoring the DVD and finally the IMGburning came up and burnt it.
    When I palyed it ,it was totally the wrong movie.But it does play well and look well.It just wont play on the TV

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@starlynn..... you are sooooooo refreshing! I love the way you imply: I can hear you snickering..... sooooo cute! anyway.... lets try to help you out.

since you are a newbie..... I wouldn't advertise that you downloaded a movie from a torrent site (piracy is not allowed here!). Just say you have an AVI file and I tried to burn it and now have problems. But don't say you downloaded the movie THE QUEEN and then you can't play it on your stand alone DVD player.

and since you are a newbie and we corrected your mistake about pirating a movie from the internet...... no I am not snickering........now lets see about your burning..........

I am not familiar with DVD Flick but I know ImgBurn (good burning software!). if you do have Nero then here is a guide for you on burning AVI files:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946

and here is more information that really might help you out:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

Welcome to AfterDawn..... and happy burning to you ..... nice blonde lady! LOL now I'm snickering!

5. attar

attar Senior member

Did you select the proper target format (NTSC or PAL)under 'Video"?

6. starlynn

starlynn Guest

Thank you IHOE for helping to correct my newbie mistakes on pirating.And thanks for not snickering or at least holding off til the end...I certainly wont advertise my downloading skills any more,but will say I have an AVI file.I have tried to burn it but now have BIG problems.There...... it is in the blonde hair now, right down to the roots!
    Ok I read the whole Nero guide link you sent.That was doable as it had pics to follow.Much easier to navigate.
    Then I came to the extra info you sent,the reasons why certain DVD's might not play & I realised my whole problem is I dont speak Latin!!LOL!
    But I am a quick learner! I will sit down right now and read and interpret the info( UGHHH) then will try again to do it again.The whole AVI thing.
    And thanks for the warm welcome!! All the help is appreciated.I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

Star*

7. starlynn

starlynn Guest

Hey ATTAR yes I selected NTSC under video

8. starlynn

starlynn Guest

Ok I have an AVI file.I have tried to burn it but am having problems.
    I am using Nero like IHOE suggested.I am at the part where it asks me to add a file.I get an error message saying:
    UNABLE TO INSERT C:\Documents and settings\mom\my documents\movies\the queen\original-queen.avi.
    What the heck is this???And what does it mean???

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

are you sure you are using Nero Vision? You should be able to add your AVI file to the project! Don't know why it wouldn't add it... unless your AVI file is corrupt or something.

10. Suba

Suba Regular member

Hi
    Are you using Nero Recode or Nero Vision to burn? It is possible that your file is not DVD compliant.
    If it play on computer after conversion to NTSC it is a good sine.
    I would suggest to download GSpot (free soft.) and import your converted file into it. It will tell you what type of file it is and format. Post the data so we can see what went wrong.
    Avi from net is usualy Mpeg4 video and sometime Mp3 audio. DVD need Mpeg2 video and AC3,48KHz audio to be NTSC compliant.
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gspot.html

Last edited: May 28, 2007