1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK, now i'm really upset

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by steimy, Mar 3, 2006.

1. steimy

steimy Active member

I planned on updating all my cables when i got the new DLP TV to S-Video/RCA audio combo cables on the components & HDMI from the DVR box to the TV.
    I had a look at all my other equipment and come to find out that the standard component cables are all i can use.
    None of them have anything better.
    No S-Video, No HDMI, nothing!
    My DVD Player/burner, the DVR box, The Xbox, The PSTwo, The receiver. Every one of them only has component cable hook ups.
    I do0 not know if spending thousands to replace them all would really be worth the extra picture quality. The DVR box with HDMI is $599 by itself let alone getting the rest replaced.

Is there any other solution or am i just doomed to have to replace everything piece by piece?

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Steimy! I'm a little confused; s-video and rca are a step down; component cables are second only to HDMI/DVI.

Regarding you equipment without HDMI output and component only; I really think you're seriously splitting hairs. In part, HDMI is better because it cuts down cable use as it carries both vid and audio signals. I know it carries a better video signal but I think you'd have to have superman's eyes to see the difference ... I have the same problem you have; some of my equipment has HDMI and some component...I've played around quite a lot with it because my TV has only one HDMI input and a lot of component. They both seem to carry hi def signals with equal clarity and I've got pretty good peepers. I wish all my equipment had HDMI but more for cable management reasons, not video quality. With my hidef, I cannot tell the difference in video quality. One common mistake people make though is that they assume that because their equipment has component in or outputs, that they have HI Def...and that just isn't the case.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

maybe i'm using the wrong wording for the cables i have.
    they are the standard red & white Audio &yellow Video type that you pretty much get right out of the box. I was told that te S-Video where better than those so i was going to get a cable that had the red & white audio, But and S-Video instead of the standard yellow cord. But since it is all useless due to the components i have not being able to plug into S-Video i am out of luck anyway.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

{quote]My DVD Player/burner, the DVR box, The Xbox, The PSTwo, The receiver. Every one of them only has component cable hook ups.[/quote]

That can't be true.

The PS2 and Xbox both have S-Video and Component Video cables that you can [bold]buy[/bold]

The DVR box from cable probably has composite and S-Video connection only. Unless it is and HD-DVR then it should have every video connction used today on the back.

Every DVD player and DVD recorder that I sell has Composite, S-Video, and Componet Video connections. Some older non-progrssive scan DVD players don't have component but they still have Composite and S-Video. If your DVD player doesn't have a Component Video output, buy a new DVD player.

Are you sure about what all these connections look like and are called?

Ced

5. BigMike2

BigMike2 Member

Is Steimy mistaken/confused and only has composite out and not componet? I used to make that mistake a lot before I really learned after getting flamed a few times.

No! I'm not trying to flame the Steimy, just asking.

Mike

6. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, guess they are composite then. Whatever the workst is i am sure that is what i have because all the cords i have came with the devices.

and diabolos, i will have to double check them at lunch. I do know what S-Video looks like for sure, component looks like composite with different colors right? I think the DVD Burner has those but no S-Video, and i did not see either on the satalite box i have which is a standart DirecTV DVR box, but i will double check. But i remember being really pissed off because i didn't have them so i am pretty sure i didn't miss the S-Video hole.

But even if they Xbox and PS2 and DVD Burner did have better connections I will still have to find a way to re-route all my wiring as right now they all go to a, well i am not sure what the actual name is, a hub. you know what i mean, the thing that has about 4 inputs, then one output. This does have the red,white,yellow, & S-Video on it. But since it goes from there to the receiver which doesn't i either have to run everything into my TV and lose the whole surround sound system, or i guess just replace the reciver, cords for the PS2 & Xbox, and see if i missed the connections on the DVR. I would be able to run component cables from the DVD player to the TV i am sure.

this is getting complicated, not to mention expensive.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@steimy...expensive is right! Needn't always be though. Perfectionism is VERY expensive. I don't care to start some sort of arguement so let me state right out that yes, $1000.00 cables are indeed better, but better radio shack cables or good solid Philips cables will cost you $20.00 and still do the trick nicely if it's what you can afford. Not having the bucks doesn't equate to watching and listing to crap. Even DVD players...you can get what you're looking cheaply with a good picture and decent features.

Sometimes I have to stop myself from saying you should get this and you should get that based on my rather expensive taste that damn near put me in the poor house! I stop myself because $5000.00 worth of advice is worthless if someone doesn't have it to spend.

I had a buddy in the home theater section who loved to help people put systems together and his first question was always a personal one "What do you have to spend" but a necessary one, then he'd provide invaluable assistance to put together the best system for the bucks. Its wonderful to be able to spend thousands and thousands but not always terribly practicle. You REALLY CAN put together decent and nice systems within a budget. Well...just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  8. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, i was looking at Accoustic Research cables ad they are within my price range, and i was told that they are good cables.
    But first i have to re-check and rethink my plan and hope that the only equipment upgrade i will need to pull it off would be a good receiver.

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Steimy: if you have the bucks for a receiver, this is the ideal time of year to buy; the new models are out so lots of places sell the old stock at huge savings. Believe it or not, this is particularly true at the rediculously overpriced hi end stores. We have a tweeters in the financial district here in Philly...lawyers, bankers, doctors and the like who don't go there to buy last years stuff but rather the newest and the best. The prices on the old stock have got to be cost...the savings unbelievable. The only time of year I shop there! AVOID EBAY AT ALL COST!! ...just read the receivers forum and you'll hear all sorts of horror stories. Also, there's a lot of good receiver advice there from quite a few folks who know their stuff. You'd do well to browse through when you have some time. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know! ..Gerry

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well put gerry1.

@ steimy,

Yes the Component Video cables and Composite Video cables both have RCA connectors. But, Component Video connections use three connections; Green (Y), Blue (Cb or Pb), and Red (Cr or Pr). Composite Video uses one connecton and it is Yellow (NTSC).

The most important diference it the level of video quality the different technologies offer. Composite Video and S-Video are only capable of 480i (NTSC and SDTV). Component Video is capable of 480i, 480p, 720p (HDTV), and 1080i (HDTV).

Ced

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Ced:

When I tried using three plain ol phono cables in component outputs/inputs, it didn't work. Was this just a fluke?

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It should have been a fluke as long as all the cables where 75 OHM RCA cables.

Make sure the cable carring the Luma (Green) signal is correct. When you plug in the Luma cable by itself you should get a black and white picture.

Ced

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Graet to know ... thanks!

14. steimy

steimy Active member

thanks for all the advice guys. I know the DVD player an TV both have the component hook ups so i will at least upgrade those for when i am watching DVD's.
    Then find the PS2 and Xbox cords that have S-Video
    so the only problem i will have left is the satalite box to TV connection. That may be where the new receiver comes in. I just have to look at the close as all my speaker are hooked up by the old style wiring where there are no jacks on the speakers. You just take speaker wire and insert them into the red/black clips on the back. The receiver i have is the same.

and to gerry1,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@steimy...Thanks guy, that was reallly thoughtful of you. Like most of the flyers, I too am from Quebec and if you give me a couple of drinks, my accent comes back and I sound just like them too! I lived on skates until I was 30! I don't much understand professional hockey though...I mean...give me a break....HOCKEY WITH RULES? How did they ever get a self respecting Quebecois boy to agree to that LOL!?

16. steimy

steimy Active member

Gerry1 and JVC,
    I can't seem to find the original post i started about receivers so i am just adding to this one.
    http://refurbelectronics.com/refrec.html
    take a look here and tell me if you think any of these are good quality receivers. The prices are really hard to beat.
    I am not real worried about it being refurbished or havind a scratch or two on it, because in a week i would have done that myself anyway. What i want is quality, long lasting, great sounding equipment in my price range.