1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay To Turn Off PSU for the night?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hello, I was using my UPS for my computer to protect it from surges and electric absence. Recently, about 75% of all time when plugged into UPS my PC gets stuck at the windows logo. So then I decided to try plugging the PSU into the wall outlet. It works fine, but like at night what if a surge goes into the computer since it's plugged into the wall outlet? Is it ok to turn off the PSU for the night every night? I am just worried that a surge might damage my PC at night..... or it doesn't help at all? Thanks in advance.

2. REAM

REAM Guest

i turn my psu off every night, and remove the cable for just those reasons, and my pc has been working in first class mode.

3. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

You should be allright, Most PSU's have surge protection anyway!!

Lecsiy

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the UPS is crashing your PC you should have the UPS replaced, regardless of whether or not you plug your PC into it.
    Turning your PSU off is one way of doing it. A better solution is to use a multiple power socket splitter with a switch. Most of these incorporate surge protectors, and you can switch off all devices plugged in overnight.